1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Androgynous?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Peripuff, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everybody!

I am confused, very confused, about my gender. I am not very sure if I am male or androgynous, are there any signs that would indicate that I am or am not androgynous? I would like advice to help me understand who I am.

Thank you!

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you like sports, weight lifting contests, feel very competitive with other guys, curse often, be loud, or spend time doing masculine things?

3. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I don't hate sports, but I would rather stay home and play Nintendo, I am pretty weak, I never cursed in my entire 15 years of life, and I'm not very loud, I am very competitive though.

4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well you are definitely not stereotypical masculine. I would say you have more of an androgynous personality, which is honestly not uncommon.

5. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I already knew that, but thanks for helping. I'm more asking how I could know if my gender identity is indeed male or if my gender is androgynous.

6. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um... Do you think you would have gender dysphoria if born a female? Or if born without male or female characteristics? Do you currently experience dysphoria?

#6 Humbly Me, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
  7. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know, I don't know how dysphoria feels like, I guess not, though I don't think I would feel dysphoria if I were born female or without any male or female characteristics

8. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. Androgynous is a type of presentation, like feminine and masculine. You may be thinking of the gender androgyne, which can mean different things to different people.

I can only tell you my experience, but for me, I don't feel fully female because I experience dysphoria in terms of body and some social dysphoria. Being called "she" and "her" doesn't do anything for me. I don't feel male though because my dysphoria is mixed between wanting a male body and wanting a female body, plus I hate being called "he" and "him" by mistake. I understand I probably will have to get used to it, because in our current society, the majority of people only see two genders: male and female, so when you are androgyne like me, and also want to present more androgynous or masculine, then people may mistakenly label me in the other box they know: male.

For me, my presentation may have slightly influenced me, plus my personality is considered more masculine, but the thing that have caused the most influence is my dysphoria of my body and socially. This is my experience.

So do you not like it when people call you male? Female? Do you experience dysphoria to certain parts of your body, such as chest, meaning like a discomfort that that part shouldn't be there and/or another part should be there instead? Do you not like being called your name because it is considered a female's name? A male's name? These are some things to think about. I can not tell you whom you are, only you can, but thinking about these questions may help you guide you to the right path. You can also look up different gender identities online for a description.

-Niko

9. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the majority of my life, I have had a very androgynous appearance. I was easily (and often) mistaken for a girl throughout my childhood and adolescence, and even into my 20's. Right up until I ended up with a facial scar caused by being attacked with a knife. That scar tipped the scales in my appearance, and I am no longer mistaken as female.

It did not usually bother me when someone mistook me for a girl, instead I usually found it amusing. Now, if they continued to do so after realizing they had been mistaken? Then it's just an insult, IMO.

10. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing your experience and I apologize for using the wrong terms, I did mean androgyne but I didn't realize that the term androgynous could not be used as well. I do not mind if people call me male or female, my name is pretty genderneutral, but it isn't that common to begin with, so I associate it with the male gender. I love my name though. I guess I'm not androgyne. I had no idea that a person could feel so trapped when they are born with a gender that they don't identify as, so I apologize for being ignorant. I had a friend who was transgender and I guess I never fully understood how he felt before transitioning.

11. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't mean to come off as rude, and I hope I didn't. I understand you seem new to this, so I just wanted to clarify what a term means, that's all.

I did love the name I was assigned at birth, but the thing was, it's too feminine for my liking, so I took a gender neutral name that is related to my birth name, which is now Niko. I cherish this name a lot, as my parents have a whole backstory to why they chose my birth name and it means a lot to me also, so I still wanted to honour that meaning. For me, it was being known to be female that made me want to change my name, not because of the name itself.

I don't think you are ignorant, I think you are just exploring and questioning yourself. There are many things people do not about gender if they haven't looked into it before, just like all things.

I just hoped my post helped understand, or at least my situation. Good luck on your own journey.

-Niko

12. Peripuff

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely did help, thank you so much.