1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Pushed down our throats"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Silverbirch, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mentioned on another thread this phrase that abounds here in the UK - it may well be in extensive use elsewhere, too. It's never been said to me directly, but it's been said in my presence and I hear it a lot either out and about or here on the internet.

I came across it again today. The programme Who Do You Think You Are, about celebrities finding out things about their ancestors is airing here at the moment. This weeks celeb was the TV presenter Clare Balding.

On another forum I wander into sometimes, someone commented that the programme was boring and that they knew Clair Balding had a "wife" (in inverted commas) but we didn't need it "pushing down our throats!" All the programme showed was Claire walking in a park with her wife. :confused:

Really upsetting. I wish this phrase didn't get to me so much, but it does.

#1 Silverbirch, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. L2606

L2606 Guest

I know what you mean like the phrase itself is fine it's just that now it is always used to describe how the rights of our community are forced upon others and are constantly in their face- which is obviously an exaggeration!
    The connotation of "shoved down our throats" now is that the LGBTQ+ agenda is thrown in the face of the cishet community for whatever reason, which is a real shame!
    If the phrase didn't have this connotation, I don't think it would bother me (or you either?) half as much...

Silverbirch likes this.
  3. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it wouldn't!

I seem only to hear it referred to LGBTQ+ people and their "agendas" and their "flaunting" of sexuality...

i.e. living like straight people...............

4. Really

Try to remember that those people are mostly arseholes who have little to no aptitude for expressing themselves intelligently.

5. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many of them though :frowning2:

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, how do you think they'd react if we said something along the lines of
    "Blech. I get people at straight, but do they really have to plunge it down our throats"
    every time straight people even held hands in a movie. I mean, straight people do way more than that and nothing is said. It's a double standard.

So if getting frustrated with a huge amount is petty, getting frustrated over a small amount is absurd and ridiculous.
    But I don't think they want to hear logic, do they? People don't understand double standards here in Jesusland. It's their way or no way at all.

I'm gay and DirectionNorth like this.
  7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate that phrase too. Heterosexuality is pushed down my throat in far worse ways. I have to listen to straight people go on and on about the details of their sex life that I don't want to hear or know about! The gay things I do are far mild in comparison.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  8. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean the like as in I agree, not as in I like that. This whole double standard thing does suck. And the whole hating of the gays from the start is really only for religious reasons, that's always straight people's defense for why it's wrong!