1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help.. homophobic parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dulcie Wellman, Jul 21, 2017.

1. My mom original said that it was OK to be gay. That was before I fell head over heels over a girl at school.Back when I thought being gay was not for me. Now I have heard from my older sister who was on the phone with my mom who said that I was not allowed to be a lesbian. Though I think I am bisexual I still don't think my mom will listen. I am only 14. And my mom expects me to be the only one with children since my brothers are disabled. And my sister.... is not direct family... please help. I just want someone to talk to.

2. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats a tough situation you have there. It may not be my place to say this but I dont think that it is ok for your mother to forbid you from liking girls.

Also I think its a good idea to let her know that even if you end up with a girl you can have kids. There are so many options today.

3. ff305

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No need for her to be overconcearned about the grandkid things, many routes for lesbians even with a donor it will also be the girls/woman's biological child just as much as if she had became pregnant with a boyfriend or husband, (or some ONS really)

But not all people want kids, I'm a gay man and thankfully I have no desire for children. But a lot of parents have all straight children but sometimes they will all choose to not have kids anyway.
    The "grandkid card" often come forward when a child comes out to a parent, but I've never heard of a parent putting their straight son or daughter on some guilt trip if they hear that they do not desire to have any children. The things we face are so unfair in so many ways.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... the whole "kids" argument is absurd. It's your choice, your body, not theirs. Make it when you're an adult and think on it hard, it's not like taking care of a goldfish, you're stuck with them forever and not everyone wants or needs that.

Even if you did decide you wanted to for some reason outside of peer pressure, it's still quite possible, just not something to happen on accident.
    She can't tell you who to love, as that is simply not how love works. The very same reason arranged marriages don't work and are ridiculous.

I'm not sure what to do about being honest and coming out, but hopefully they will give you the respect you deserve eventually. I know if you're younger most adults won't take you seriously at all, even when you're absolutely sure.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may need to tell your mom (gently) that your sexual orientation isn't your choice, nor is it hers. She doesn't have the power to forbid your sexuality, nor does anyone else. She can forbid you to date, I suppose.