1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell my husband AGAIN that I am gay and it not going to go away

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by zumbaqueen, Jul 22, 2017.

1. zumbaqueen

To recap at the beginning of this year I first told my husband I thought I might be bisexual because I found women attractive and I had sexual dreams about being with one. He was hesitatly understanding and said as long as they were just fantasies it was ok but if I told him I actually wanted to be with a woman that would be a problem. We spoke openly about those fantasies when we were having sex (he was trying to get me aroused, I never really have been during sex with him) and I hated every minute of it because in my fantasy there is not a man involved. Then about three months after that I told him I didn't think I was bisexual and actually know that I am gay and had known since my early teens. His response was that I am confused and going through a midlife crisis. We have been in separate bedrooms for many years but had always got together once in a while to have sex, which we now haven't done for 3 months. We barely speak to one another anymore and if I do then he immediately thinks I'm back to normal and mentions having sex to which I ignore his request. I have been seeing a woman and I really do like her. I have been completely upfront with her about my home situation and it doesn't impact her wanting to see me. What I don't do is drag her into my marital mess, that's for my therapist and I to figure out. Nothing physical has happened with her, but I know I am developing a deep emotional connection with her. My husband does not know about her. We do not talk and haven't said more than hello or goodbye to each other in months. There is no physical interaction between us, hand holding, hugging, kissing and that is completely ok with me. Yesterday when we went to our separate rooms he said "I'm tired of sleeping alone" I did not respond. I know we need to talk and I need to be honest about how I am feeling but I don't know how. I think you also need to know that we were never good at communicating. Usually he got pissed off at me if I didn't do exactly what he wanted and if I said anything then he would pout until I would apologize for something that I shouldnt have had to because if I didn't he wouldn't get out of his mood. I know this is going to be hard and I don't know how to do it.

#1 zumbaqueen, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    RJay likes this.
  2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like an really horrible situation for both of you.

I've no real advice as you're further ahead than me, but it sounds like your husband is not just acknowledging the situation.

What do you want the outcome of your discussion to be? Perhaps you could go in with a clear idea of what you need and want, so you know what you're trying to achieve? Plan the discussion in advance (set aside a time, etc.) and tell your husband that you want to discuss how you're going to go forward (separately or together), no you know that you're gay?

My partner and I have never had good communication either, so I empathize with your concerns. Mine will just laugh anything I say off as me overreacting, deny it, or point blank refuse to respond to my point and just keep restating his. It's incredibly frustrating. I think you need to stick to your guns on this one, and take any actions you need to, rather than giving in to his pouting. Being consistent might show him that you're not going through a mid-life crisis or any other possible excuse.

I hope it goes well. Let us know.

instantkarma, RJay and ShortButSweet like this.
  3. zumbaqueen

Possible outcomes for me. Divorce? Living together and staying married for financial reasons and to raise our daughter? I don't know. We have been more like housemates than husband and wife for years. He is 15 years older than me and I always felt like I had to ask permission before I was allowed to do something I wanted to do. I have made a lot of changes the last few years and I don't conform to his ideals anymore.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on what you've said about asking for permission, I'd say living together probably wouldn't be an ideal experience for you or your daughter, but I don't know your husband.

Would you be able to support your daughter financially on your own?

instantkarma likes this.
  5. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @zumbaqueen, I relate to your situation sooooooo much, you have no idea. I obviously can't tell you what to do, but just given what you've shared, and everything I have lived through, I really see divorce as your only option. I can't imagine a solution without it. Only divorce and separate homes would give EACH OF YOU the space you need to pursue another relationship that might fulfill you.

Coming at it from there, I'd say you don't even need to discuss your sexuality with him anymore. You can just say you want a divorce. And start going through the process. That's what I did. My sexuality did not have to even enter into the discussion with my ex because the marriage was clearly broken. Going over all the MANY reasons was not going to be constructive in any way.

Much love to you. I am so empathetic to what you are describing. The alienation... not talking... no sex... no ANYTHING... the years of passively accepting his moods, demands, control issues. UGH.

rosemarythyme likes this.
  6. zumbaqueen

Yes I can support her, quite honestly I make 4 times as much money as my husband. I'm probably going to have to pay him spousal support. Ugh.

7. zumbaqueen

So RJay you don't think my sexuality has any bearing on this anymore? In a way I almost think my being gay is the easy way out. Then I don't have to admit we never really had a good marriage to begin with.

8. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not saying it has no bearing. In fact, it might be the root cause of the marriage's failure. I certainly consider my sexuality a big reason for why I got into my marriage in the first place. If I hadn't been gay, I would have surely picked a different kind of man. But, what I'm saying is that it might not make sense to make it the focus of your conversations with HIM. Because, though it's likely that your sexuality is a big factor, the main point is that you don't have a marriage, and that's on both of you. You don't have to accept all the blame or take on all the responsibility. Your marriage is broken, and life sucks sometimes. It sounds to me like you need to live separately to really come to terms with everything.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  9. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess what I'm saying is that it can be both. You are gay AND you never had a good marriage. But it takes two people to make a marriage, so don't take on the whole burden. You can just accept that things are not right, and it's time to move on. It doesn't have to be ONLY about your homosexuality. Nothing is ever that simple or cut and dry.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When my relationship ended with my kids' mother, there were plenty of reasons (other than my sexuality) for it to just end.
    There had been times where I considered just rooming together so that the financial burdens could be split, but then also knew there was just too much history between us to really make that work.
    I have spent the last two years basically living off my credit cards from month to month and working 64-75 hours a week just to try and keep afloat. It is stressful and scary and some days I don't know how I manage to keep it all together.
    Point being, it IS possible. I am worse off financially for sure, but quite honestly, it is worth every bit of the struggle. I don't have to feel like I'm subjugating myself just to pacify her. The kids fair better because I am in a much better frame of mind, more calm, more myself.
    I'm not trying to launch into some personal diatribe, rather to just let you know some of the realities from someone who has been there.
    There are many days where (should you choose to split) you will wonder what the hell you've done, but there are many more where you will just take a deep breath and truly be grateful that you can finally live your life and be free to be the person you truly want to be.

11. zumbaqueen

You know I have been putting 100% of this on me. My thinking is if I wasn't gay this wouldn't be happening.

12. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know, sweetheart, but really that isn't true. He has played a part. You might have chosen a different kind of man if you weren't gay, but once in the marriage, it took two of you to make or break it. Don't think he doesn't bear some responsibility.

Even though I've accepted I've always been a raging homosexual and had no business marrying my ex, that doesn't mean he gets off scot-free. If he had been a better person, more caring, more compassionate, less belittling, we could have made it. Lord knows I wanted it to work and did my best.

LostInDaydreams and zumbaqueen like this.
  13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey zumbaqueen, I think the others have all made good points, it's not all on you.

I've been hanging around EC a while now (a bit like a bad smell haha) and I can certainly say when it comes to later in life married people there are definitely 2 categories, I mean I'm not saying everyone is the same or fits perfectly in the categories of course everyone is unique but the 2 main differences are, group 1 come and say help I'm gay but my partner is the best person in the world, I love them but just not like that and everything else is perfect and we make a great team etc. The other group are like, I'm married but my marriage isn't great, I've always been more of a peacemaker and gone along with what they wanted, I liked them to begin with but now I'm really not fussed and we are basically existing together like room mates.

I see you in the second group zumbaqueen and I'm sure you would agree. I'm not saying either group is easy to be in or get out of but I agree with RJay. Let's just forget about current or future dating for a second. Even if you were never going to date anyone ever again, what would you stay in your current relationship for apart from your daughter? I think regardless of your sexuality your relationship is over.

14. zumbaqueen

I am definitely in the second group. There is no reason to stay other than for my daughter. I also am scared of the financial fallout. I have done a lot of thinking and I am not happy in my current relationship, I would rather be alone than with him. I have never been good with change.

15. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could have written that two months ago. And look at me now. As you know, I'm not finding any of this easy, but I do not for one moment regret ending my marriage. Change is so hard, but one thing I guarantee you... your daughter will be fine, and probably much better if she sees you as strong enough to take risks and pursue joy. Nobody whose parents weren't a good match is happy as an adult that their parents stayed together. I hate that my parents stayed together. It was sad to grow up in a loveless home. We serve our children better by pursuing joy, whatever that may look like. Even if we don't achieve the joy, it's better for them if we try!

I wish I could get coffee with you and talk about this!

LostInDaydreams and silverhalo like this.
  16. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm curious... if you don't mind saying, how long have you been in your relationship and how old is your daughter? And how old are you? It just might help us understand the situation even better.

17. zumbaqueen

I am 46, I have been married 18 years (dated for 8 months before getting married) - my daughter is 14.

18. zumbaqueen

Me too!

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Zumbaqueen, I have a question (sorry you are probably sick of them) what is your biggest fear if you leave your husband?

20. zumbaqueen

Financial. I have earned quite a bit more money than him our entire marriage. Our home is a year from being paid off. We have quite a bit in savings. And my thoughts do go back and forth about going forward and being alone. I have to explain that further. I'm not afraid to be alone physically, I lived alone before we married. But if there isn't someone out there for me than I'm giving up a lot financially to end up being alone. And before everyone jumps on me for that comment, i have worked very hard for what I have (and I do mean me, he contributed very little and I allowed that) It just sickens me to think I'll have to give him half of what I earned and I'll probably have to pay spousal support. So until I can get past that I'm not ready to mention divorce. I have been thinking about going to see a lawyer though, just to see what position I may be putting myself in.