1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who struggles more bisexuals or trans-people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BothWaysSecret, Jul 21, 2017.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who do you think struggles for acceptance more, not just in the LGBT community, but in the world at large? Do you think bisexuals have a harder time being accepted, or transgender individuals? I feel as if people have a harder time accepting individuals from both groups more so than they do people that are gay or lesbian. I really couldn't say who has it worse. What are your thoughts?

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oppression olympics is generally a poor idea and obviously a person can be both.

However, with that said, it is so manifestly evident that trans people have higher rates of suicide, are substantially more likely to be victims of hate crimes and murder, are more likely to be kicked out of home, sacked or left unemployed, have more complex and more expensive medical needs in facilitating transition and subsequent care and must deal with the enormous bureaucratic burden of legally transitioning. Additionally, trans people are more likely to need hard policy change as well as soft social change - amending laws, gaining public healthcare financing of sex-reassignment surgery, removal of barriers to access to medical care by increasing training among health professionals are all additional to changing social perceptions.

Even where all of these tangible challenges are at their best for trans people, they still are quite burdensome. Surgery and legal changes, choosing a new name and having your family reconceptualise your gender, one of the most important social markers we have, are all massive hurdles to jump even when they're all relatively safe and available.

None of that is to say that the erasure of bisexual people is unimportant or the discomfort of being dismissed or misunderstood are not unpleasant and worth listening to and responding to. But in terms of understanding where resources should go and the immense challenges to sucessful trans advocacy, it's probably a struggle that needs to be recognised for what it is - much harder and usually with higher stakes.

#3 Aussie792, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you make some very good points.

5. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I don't think it's comparable...everyone faces their own challenges within the LGBT+ community, and we all struggle differently and have varied experiences. Some might struggle more than others, but I don't think I can identify any one specific group having more/less struggle compared to other groups. We've all struggled, some more than others, and in different ways.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Bisexual trans people.

#6 Kodo, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're both treated worse than gay people IMO. I think they both have higher rates of depression and suicide too? I know trans people definitely do. That's not to say that being gay is easy. I'd say trans people anyway, only because of all the dysphoria, hormones and surgery. But both groups have their own challenges.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Non-straight trans women of color (I might be biased)

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None of us can say. We all have our struggles and it's not fair to suggest that any one group has it worse than another.

10. Christianne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's an individual thing. Finding acceptance is difficult if you're struggling to accept yourself. Society as a whole will never accept all of anyone. We have a very large and supportive community that we can rely on no matter what your orientation. I know that even within our community there are issues with acceptance but I would have to say we are still likely to find a larger part of our community that will accept you for exactly who you are, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks. We shouldn't waste a moment worrying about others opinions of ourselves anyway. Just be good to yourself and others. Life has a tendency to give back to you what you put in to it.

11. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. You called?

In all seriousness thoug, it could go either way. Trans people are less accepted in the wider world, but bi people are marginalized even among lgbt groups sometimes

12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good points! I still think its a shame that there are some in our community who have difficulty accepting everyone. I also agree that part of it has to do with accepting yourself as well.

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think trans people do.

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like to play the who has it worse game, but when people do....I find that they have their ideals completely backwards.

I would say trans people have it the worst of all, because they also have to deal with dysphoria on top of people disliking them, plus there are more laws working against them/more hate crimes, etc.

My opinion on this is very controversial, but I identified as both bi and gay, and I feel life was easier when I thought I was bisexual. Yes, there was bullshit like people "erasing" my sexuality and putting me only in the straight or gay label. There was bullshit was feeling unaccepted by both sides, and there was bullshit with people thinking I wanted threesomes. But I would always choose those forms of discrimination over the crap I have to deal with now that I'm gay. The discrimination as a gay person feels so much more worse that I actually miss thinking I was bi.

Because having my "bisexuality" erased just lead to hurt feelings and feeling I didn't belong anywhere. Gay discrimination is a legal problem. I lost privilege, can no longer talk to straight people about hot guys, couldn't get married for the longest time, had no adoption rights, could easily lose my job, not being able to date men means that the dating pool is almost non-existent, more threats of violence, etc. When I thought I was bi, I could hide my sexuality with a man and still be satisfied if I thought I truly liked men. I can't be satisfied with a man even if I wanted to hide, and also have to worry about people (bi or lesbian that can't accept herself) constantly leaving me for men because they're the most "important" option. Lesbians also get NO spaces for themselves. If I made a lesbian only space and excluded bi women, It's seen as "biphobic". If a bisexual makes a bi space and excludes lesbians "that's okay". Despite the fact that female homophobia is based on "not liking men at all", some of us really need a space where "talking about relationships with men" is banned, so we can actually vent without hurting anybody.

Not to mention that bisexuals can be homophobic to actual gay people too! I'm told all the time that "nobody can be 100% gay" and "that I need to try dick/I'll like it eventually". All by Bi women.

I'm really tired of this oppression olympics bullcrap because bi people use it to hurt gay people without having any empathy about what WE go through. It easily could be worse if you were gay, you never know. It could be worse if I was bi, you never know. So why don't we stop with this crap and actually listen to an individuals experiences.

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one wins when you compete in the Oppression Olympics, as tantalizing as that shiny gold medal may be. :wink:

That said, one can recognize that there is violence committed against trans people for being trans that does not occur against bisexuals. But when attempting to fit into the community, bisexuals may be more likely to have their sexuality dismissed.

16. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel you bruh :/

17. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm truly sorry. I honestly had no idea that gays had it that bad. And here I thought the world had progressed with the gay community. I guess I'm not as aware as I thought.

18. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just wanted to let everyone know, I had no intention of starting what everyone is calling opression olympics. I wanted to just find out everyone's opinions on this.
    Everyone in the community has their own problems, and I'm not trying to invalidate anybody. I was just generally curious to hear people's thoughts. I NEVER wanted to create controvery with this. I'm sorry if anyone has had issues with this thread or topic.

19. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

Trans people are often left out of the rainbow. Lotta shit on Facebook now saying

Resist Homophobia
    Resist racism
    Resist climate change denial
    Resist ageism
    Resist.... everything else

But transphobia.

I have a very good and privileged life as far as many trans people go, but I'll be God damned if many are treated like scum under ones shoes.

Normally I'm not militant on things but without a doubt trans people in general face even more hardships than other people of the closet.

20. zuqueenie

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It all depends on your life some people can not be homophobic or transphobic but won't believe in bisexuality although dysphoria is a mental disorder that effect a lot of people. What I am trying to say is everyones life is different and u can't really ask who's life is hardest some bisexual people have the hardest life others have a great life live like everyone else some trans people live great life others dont. Does this make any sense whatsoever???