1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

showering in high school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Jul 21, 2017.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Did anyone feel uncomfortable showering in high school or middle school?

I mean I showered in high school with the guys in my cross country team for about 3 seasons. It was the first time I changed and got naked in front of guys before in my life and it took some getting used to do. I mean it takes a while to get used to being naked in front of guys until you are desensitive you know.

I wasn't staring at guys in the shower while showering. I did drop the soap a few times in the shower but nothing "weird" happened(i.e. sexual) just a one or two guys saying, "[my name] dropped the soap" and that's how far things went.

There was this one guy that showered by himself though. At the time and even know, I thought that guy was gay because the way he acted and mannerisms.

2. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never showered, but I felt uncomfortable just by changing my outerwear around people, and I still feel this way. I can only imagine how awkward I'd feel showering around people

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never had to luckily, def checked out some guys while changing though lol.

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never showered or even changed gym clothes beyond shoes and socks. I can't imagine changing even with my underwear on in front of a bunch of people, let alone showering. I would have been so much more uncomfortable if I had to do that around a large group of people.

5. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not because of my sexual orientation but instead because of personal insecurities about my body, I always tried to change in the bathroom stalls instead of in the locker room. I never showered in school, but then again, most of my gym classes were on last period so I'd go straight home afterwards...

6. Loves books

We didn't have the option in my school no one could shower. The school gym had showers but I don't remember them ever being used. We were supposed to change in to sports wear for gym class but after the first year of school we all gave up on that and did the class in our uniforms. The teacher tried to make us wear sports wear by not letting us participate if we were in our uniforms but after two classes comprising of only two students he relented. We all took turns in the bathrooms to change. The most uncomfortable I have ever felt was a communal changing room at the pool.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We didn't have a choice, the sports teachers remained in the changing room and made sure we all showered. In all honesty, the thought of stinking and being caked up in mud all day trumped any concerns I had about being naked around other guys anyway. Yes, it can feel a little awkward to begin with, but you soon get used to it.

8. Soshiyaki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never in my five years of high school, have I changed clothes in front of people. I always preferred changing in the stalls and I was probably only one of the few people who did it. If my school did have showers though, I would probably be that one guy showering by himself. lol.

9. Christianne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was always uncomfortable having to change in front of others. School was the worst! I was a very shy child and having to change/shower in front of others was nearly unbearable. I think I sat out on most of my PE classes. Then I joined the military ‍♀️. I think that's when I realized we were all in the same situation and stopped thinking about it. Even the girls with the best bodies had their insecurities. People are gonna judge no matter what but it's usually the people trying to deflect others away from seeing their own "imperfections".

10. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought changing in front of people would be a lot worse than it is, but in my experience it really hasn't been anything. People might occasionally glance in your general direction and see you with you chest uncovered, but does that really matter? Most people wear more revealing swimwear than your undies..
    I have never had to fully undress though, that might be significantly less comfortable.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never showered when I was in school. No one did actually and the few that would once in a blue moon always left their underwear on. As for changing I just changed in front of everyone like everyone else.

12. needyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Always did when we had swim class, cross country or had gym class outside in the hot sun. At first very self conscious but after several times grew comfortable being nude in front of others. All guys compared how they measured up. That's natural. A few years before I started high school in the late seventies the policy for boys only swim class was they swam nude. It was a common policy in the mid west and at YMCA's. Google nude high school swim class if you don't believe me

13. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5597441

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also never had to do it. Showering after "gym class" seems to be somewhat antiquated, or at the least, regional (I was never on a sports team). We did have swimming in high school P.E. and we'd shower off afterward, but in our bathing suits. I never had to be fully nude in front of anyone at school, thankfully.

Changing in the locker room was awkward enough, especially given that I never ventured to wear boxers like most of the other guys. No one ever made fun of me for that, though, at least not to my knowledge.

15. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one at my middle school or either of my high schools took showers at school.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was in junior high in the 1980s, I was so uncomfortable with just the idea of showering after PE that I weaseled my way out. I was allowed to use a private shower. This attracted a certain amount of verbal abuse in 7th grade from a few classmates. That mostly faded away by the end of that year.

I have wondered what would have happened if I'd showered in the regular showers... Would I have gotten used to it? Another thing I have wondered about is whether I'd have had problems with unwanted erections in the showers.

17. needyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes unwanted erections happened when we first were introduced to group showers as 12/13 year olds. Many never experienced being nude in front of others before. Guys would either turn around while it settled down or would make jokes about their own stiffies . After we got used to showering nude in public it didn't happen as often.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly wonder how acceptable showering in underwear would have been when I was in school... I wonder if the PE teachers would have tolerated it. I wonder if it wouldn't have set guys up for teasing. Indeed, there was a joke on Saturday Night Live (IIRC) about the guy who showered in underwear. Of course, times change...

Showering after class--and even after sports--has become less common. There have even been newspaper articles on the topic. Surprisingly, there are still school districts that have some sort of requirement. From what I've heard, the district I live in now has such a requirement, which is frankly a little surprising. I don't know, however, what happens in practice. (Are showers at all private? If not, do people wear something like a swim suit? Do people just ignore the "required shower?" Etc.)

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard since I was in PE that unwanted erections can happen in a school shower. If only I known this when I was in junior high... Indeed, I think back then I might have even thought something was wrong with me. I'd see other boys nude--I had to pass through the locker room to get to the private shower--and one thing I noted was that every penis in the locker room was properly limp. If I'd seen even one other boy with an erection, I might have realized I wasn't alone in having unwanted erections at bad times. I might not have resisted group showers like I did.

#19 BMC77, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We didn't have to. I think some of the athletes used them, but obviously I wasn't around for that.

Same thing with lockers. Heard they're still used on the East Coast, but here? Nope! Carried everything around, basically...