1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 years of denial

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RJay, Jul 19, 2017.

1. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd start one just for this thought...

I was thinking about my past and how I managed to avoid the truth for so long. I think I pinpointed the exact moment I started pretending I was straight.

I was 13 years old. I had known for a couple of years already that some of my friends were *really* into boys, and I was NOT. I mean, I was REALLY NOT. I honestly couldn't have cared less about them. It was like they didn't exist in my world. I had friends, and they were all girls. I didn't even want to be friends with boys.

I remember playing a particularly romantic piece in a piano lesson, and my sweet 60-something female teacher told me the playing was missing an important emotional aspect. That the music was supposed to be about romantic love, and that at my age, surely I had felt it by now... that there must have been *some* boy at school that I felt excited around. OMG, these days a teacher would be in big trouble for going there with a 13 year old. Anyway... I couldn't come up with any boys to tell her about, but I thought I was in love with Laurence Olivier. (Long story for another time, haha.) She was like... o..... k..... ??? I explained that I loved old movies from the 30's and 40's, and the romantic scenes in them really made an impression on me, but that I didn't like any boys that I actually knew.

I remember being home in bed that night wondering why I didn't have the "satisfactory" answer to her question. In my mind, I went through all the boys I knew at school. I decided that if I was going to have a crush on a boy, it should be on Evan -- the electric guitarist in the jazz band. He was cute (still is), and a musician. Bingo.

I went to school the next day and started looking at him... really looking. I thought to myself, "he's cute! I like him!" Of course, I didn't *feel* it, but I sort of talked myself into it. From then through high school graduation over 4 years later, he was my ONE "crush". Though again, I felt nothing, no butterflies, no looking for him at school, no trying to get his attention. All cerebral. And when I mentioned my crush to friends, my piano teacher, my mom, everyone was soooo pleased! So I kept it up.

Amazing... absolutely amazing to me in retrospect that I didn't delve deeper into this. I was a smart kid... sensitive... introspective... artistic. But I assumed I was straight. Never EVER considered the alternative.

At age 43 I was finally brave enough to consider the alternative. 30 years. THIRTY. After 19 years with a man I didn't love. SHIT.

#1 RJay, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    ShortButSweet and Peterpangirl like this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww RJay, I get why you feel frustration and anger with the thirty years you denied your gayness but it is what has made you who you are. I mean I agree it would be great if society didn't do this to people and for sure it's getting better but the best bit of news is you did it, a little later than you might have liked but you found the real you and it's not too late for you to enjoy it.

RJay likes this.
  3. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    RJ - so many similar experiences/feelings. It's hard not to get angry sometimes, right?! I blame shitty romcoms/sitcoms that tell people (everybody loves raymond comes to mind as the perfect example) that everyone is frustrated by their spouse, exhausted, and unhappy. It reinforced, to me at least, and through what I know realize was a really unhealthy home dynamic growing up, that all relationships are dysfunctional so my heterosexual one was right on track or better actually because we like each other even though I'm not fulfilled. There's so much unhealthy messaging out there

RJay likes this.
  4. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Indeed! So few examples of really fulfilling marriage around makes it seem like there's no point in looking at what's wrong sometimes. In a funny twist, the only truly happy long term relationship in all of my family is the gay one. 45 years together and still just adorable and truly in love.

Also funny... lately I've been playing that piece again -- the one I worked on with my teacher at age 13. Now I think about V, and it makes so much more sense to me. LOL.

5. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So interesting! Pinpointing that moment all these years later. Feeling the need to come up with an answer for your piano teachers question, the 'quest' to find a guy in your school to have a crush on. And then attempting to fit yourself into the role of 'Girl with a Crush on Evan in Jazz Band'.

My late in life story is a bit different but the common theme is definitely how much we just defaulted to the 'norm.' The belief that straight WAS the only option--so much so there was zero insight into the fact that there were 'settings' other than the default setting of straight! And yup--thirty years later here we are, after investing in years in our marriages. And FINALLY we see it all so clearly now. It would be too cool if we could get in a time machine and go back to 9th grade and start this all again. Knowing what we know now AND being as brave as we are now! We can't go back, but as was mentioned all of it--everything has made us what we are and brought us to where we are today.

Recently I added 'I Am Woman' by Helen Reddy to my playlist. It is such a classic song of strength! I love the lyrics, especially the lines in bold. I know the song isn't about this-- but I think it's also a great theme song for the 'journey to authenicity' so many of us are in the midst of. Maybe it is a good one to play (and listen to it LOUD) if you start feeling too hung up on the 'thirty years later' thing!!! (That can get to me too on my bad days! Like why did I 'waste' all that time?:anguished:) I guess we just need to remember the wisdom we have gained through all of it.

I am woman, hear me roar
    In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much to go back an' pretend
    'Cause I've heard it all before
    And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna keep me down again
    Oh yes, I am wise
    But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price
    But look how much I gained

If I have to, I can do anything
    I am strong
    (Strong)
    I am invincible
    (Invincible)
    I am woman
    You can bend but never break me
    'Cause it only serves to make me
    More determined to achieve my final goal
    :woman::thumbsup:

6. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crikey. This post resonates with me.

baristajedi likes this.
  7. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the risk of sounding totally obnoxious, I am wondering if perhaps a strong intellect makes it "easier" to live in denial. From my experience and the experiences a lot of you guys are sharing here (especially women in denial into their 30's and 40's), it seems we all are pretty intelligent people who were able to reason ourselves into living as straight. I wonder if people who just aren't particularly great "thinkers" have less ability to talk themselves out of living their true nature. I mean, I am an example of this... perfect grades, ivy leaguer, very into complex literature, fluent in two foreign languages, etc. I mention it because above I said I was an intelligent kid, so why didn't I figure this out? Maybe the intelligence itself worked against me, cause I would lie awake at night reasoning myself into liking boys/men with very (to me) sound logic.

WanderingMind likes this.
  8. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am totally going with this theory! I'm definitely book/career smart but have always had a keen sense of social norms and cues which I think made it easier for me to hide on that subconscious level. I'm really good at reading people and figuring out what motivates them and how to interact on a personal level. All of that probably enhanced that feeling of abnormality/denial!

#8 leb10, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    WanderingMind likes this.
  9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So much of this post hits home for me Rjay.

10. zumbaqueen

I agree with you RJay, the intellect makes it easy to reason youself out of your true feelings. I was a straight A student, 4.0 graduate from a prestigious university and I hold a high level corporate job and I am an officer of the company. I reasoned myself out of the truth for 25 years.

dreamingfreely and RJay like this.
  11. zumbaqueen

And for those of you who have wondered, yes I'm an excellent Zumba instructor as well. Lol.

12. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally love this theory too, Rjay. I was always an A student and have been self aware and intellectual. I have always written in my journal and have been introspective. I think I am good at convincing myself of things.

#12 Searching1, Jul 20, 2017
    RJay likes this.
  13. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wonder what came first with our skills? Were we always good at convincing ourselves of things or did some significant cognitive dissonance (like knowing we were different) start it all?

RJay and Peterpangirl like this.
  14. daylightstorms

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry to read of your frustration Rjay and can also totally relate to your feelings. I am 32 and didn't even start to question my sexuality until I was 29, after having had two disastrous relationships with men in my 20s. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person too but I am also extremely good at denial - it is a speciality in my family I think! I am very grateful to have realised my true self now, even if I am currently unable to share it with anyone who knows me. One day, one day...

RJay likes this.
  15. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Brilliant, and a Zumba instructor? :heart_eyes:

16. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I think the need to convince myself I liked boys came directly out of the recognition that I *didn't* like them. Probably somewhat simultaneous. I literally remember thinking, "hmmmm... I wonder why I don't like boys?" And then I started coming up with theories right away.

17. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I remember my best friend, who I really liked, asking me what celebrity I had a crush on and I panicked and said Clint Eastwood. I really liked his persona but didn't like him sexually. I always thought of myself as a late boomer or what I know now as asexual. Apparently liking your female best friend wasn't a big enough of a clue.

#17 dreamingfreely, Jul 20, 2017
    silverhalo and RJay like this.
  18. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This! I was in love with my best friend. And I had not quite a crush but definitely a thing for Freddie Mercury and later Oscar Wilde... lol... their (very gay) persona, obvs.

Rjay, those 30 years... It makes sense all the various emotions that are overwhelming a lot of us late in lifers. Going back, step by step, so far into the past to reclaim a part of us we left there, it's not a walk in the park. But I like to think whatever happened was for a reason, so you could arrive with exactly the experience you gathered on the way to exactly this point in time and space and be exactly who you are right now. The reason may not be clear now but who knows, it could all make sense one day.

19. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can totally relate to this. I had so many people telling me that me and my husband were the perfect couple, we never argued. However it took me over 30 years to realise that does not mean we had nothing to argue about. We were just too scared to actually do it.

20. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't have romantic feelings towards my female best friend (still my best friend). However, I do remember crying in my bed at night over the fact that she had discovered boys in a big way and I hadn't - I felt that I might've lost her forever - that we'd never be close again. I was wrong. We are still close and she is like a sister to me.

#20 Peterpangirl, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    RJay likes this.