1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT in Ballet

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Grace24601, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Grace24601

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, so here's the thing, I take lots of ballet classes as well as other dance classes and I'm not out to anyone who knows me from dance. At first this was ok because I wasn't really close to the girls there 'cause we're all different ages but now I'm actually friends with them all. I don't want to come out to them because I don't want it to be weird in classes because obviously we don't wear much and I don't want anyone to think I'm like looking at them. There's also the issue of dressing rooms for shows and stuff. So I don't want to come out for that reason only, I know they'd be accepting but I just don't want it to be weird.

So I was wondering if there are any other lesbians or bi girls who have this same issue because you never really hear about lesbian dancers as much as gay dancers. But it would be cool to know I'm not the only one in this situation and how other people deal with it.

2. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't out (and hadn't really focused on that) at all when I was dancing, even though I knew deep down. But, I think it depends on the general environment and the people, if that makes sense. In my experience, because of location and the parents, etc, even if I was aware, in my case I would not have wanted to come out. Or I might have to a couple people. But again, that's just knowing my specific environment and the mentalities of people. If you're in a more Liberal area, and the girls are nice (I've had countless classes with catty girls, but there were slso alot of really nice ones), and you don't think it would spread to bad people, then I would say at least consider it! I'm sorry, I can't really give a better answer without knowing the people there, but I hope this helps some.

And maybe before coming out, bring up lgbt news or things and see how they react or talk, what comments they make, etc to see if they seem on top of it or have bias, etc.

But I do hope it turns out you can come out to them!