1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do parents generally know if you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Different, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SmartNerdGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if my parents know. I've been dropping hints on them for weeks. I "suddenly" became interested in rainbow stuff. I think my dad picked up on it because he acknowledged I was mentioning the LGBT flag, except he said it as the "being yourself" flag.

2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely think my mom knows that I am gay. She always brings up that she would love her kids no matter what sexualities they were. And she jumps at the chance to repeat it whenever gay people come up in conversation. But I am probably not going to come out, my stepfather finds gay people repulsive and I don't want to cause a divorce.... :frowning2:

3. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mother doesn't, which is both annoying and a relief.

4. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Growing up, I think my parents would have had their suspicions. I had very little interest in dolls and dressing up. I was the kid that played a sport every season, climbed trees, and always came home banged up from some adventure.

I was appalled by dresses and only wanted to wear boys t-shirts and plain jeans. My hair was cut short (actually styled from a boys cut I liked) until probably 6th grade. Bless my parents, looking back I now realize how incredibly open and supportive they were with my choices. It was just never an issue that I wanted to dress that way.

Now that I am questioning things (after dating men exclusively) I doubt their suspicions still exist.

5. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom knew well before I said anything, but then again she'd had a lot of experience in working with people so is very perceptive. She saw all the signs: I never talked about girls, never dated girls, and generally avoided topics of romance and sex for a long time. Funny thing was she straight up asked me when I was still in high school and I said no. After I came out to her she told me she knew I was lying that first time since my answer was calm and collected, I didn't get angry or defensive which tipped her off. But she's always been open minded and is cool with it.

My dad, on the other hand, seems to be oblivious despite me being in my late 20s and never having a girlfriend. He's pretty conservative and homophobic, so I can only conclude that he is in a state of willful denial and doesn't want to face the fact that I don't like women. I've decided to let him figure things out on his own; there will come a point when he can't deny it anymore. Then he'll just have to live with it.

6. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like my parents are clueless but that's probably because for so long I was just as clueless as them.

I've always had a very stong opinion on LGBT rights and I've been very vocal about it with my parents. I even asked my mom years ago what she would say if I were gay (I was still kind of in denial but I did know something was up). I bet they just think I'm very open minded. I've also never had a boyfriend and I'm already 20 so idk maybe the thought has crossed their minds but no I don't think they know.

Ever since I'm finally admitting my same sex attractions, I don't want to lie anymore so I don't talk about boys anymore and I generally try to be myself and do whatever I want without thinking 'that might sound/look gay' so maybe they felt that something changed. But i'd defenity be considered a femme so no one would ever guess I'm gay from my appearance :frowning2:

7. Taraeos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out, my mum said she wouldn't have guessed..which I found very surprising. I always thought it was fairly obvious. I'd have thought some of my interests would have at the very least, suggested it was a possibility :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a twin sister I adore and who I did my best to emulate from a very young age and frankly I didn't see any difference between us besides our genitals.
    My parents knew I was Nancy as a young child and tried to direct me to the path of maleness as my adolescence approached which because of Kleinfelters Syndrome came on much later than it does for normal boys even with the testosterone boosters I had received.
    I became sexually active younger than most, my parents were aware what I was doing and sent me to therapy with the Catholic Social and Family Services of the mid 70's in the hope that guilt shaming and fear of hell would shock me into changing my evil ways.
    When that didn't work they set me down and basically told me to keep myself under control and bring no shame to the family so yeah, they knew I was "Different" from a very early age and did everything they could to try and "Change" me.

9. ff305

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think most know, well some have kids that manages to hide it completly. But for those having their children live home throughout their whole child's life must take a person that is in the deepest of denial or the most malfunctioning gaydar possible to not see it.
    I have no contact with my mother, not sure if she knew. My disturbed dad that is the one keeping me too scared out of the closet probably knows deep down and just denies it.

10. L2606

L2606 Guest

I don't know if my parents would know... One of them often says they're glad I'm straight because they can understand my feelings and can relate to me. But at the same time... they've only said that to me, never my sibling and a very prominent memory of me within my family is me saying I would marry my best friend (who was a girl) and nobody batted an eyelid
    So honestly, I don't know! I don't necessarily project the fact that I'm interested in more than just guys and the fact I have a boyfriend would probably throw them off the scent. But the conversations that people have with just me about sexuality and these prominent memories of me displaying behaviours that aren't hetero-normative could give them a clue? Then again, a lot of kids probably do stuff like that so idk...

11. PilotEquestrian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my mom had no clue at all, but i was a football player, and fit into many straight stereotypes. I think often times parents know, but not all the time

12. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They were clueless, but I didn't ever give them any clues so they can't be blamed for not knowing.

13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently my Mom always knew since I was young....so....

14. HallsiKallsi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother will always point out that a celebrity is gay when their on TV, my uncle has repeatedly told me that if I have anything I'm afraid to tell my parents, I can always come to him, I've also heard from my friends that a lot of parents and classmates think I'm gay, the thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm not, I'm asexual, but wether I'm homoromantic? I don't know, and I don't really care, when the time comes I'll find it out

#74 HallsiKallsi, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  15. laiminga

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother didin't believe me at first. My father still ignors what I have told him and refuse to belive. I am super feminine. And also I am not... Like, I love dresses and have long hair, also do all kimd of girly stuff, but I study mechatronics, I go fishing with my father, love shooting (not into animals!), and can drink more vodka than half of my male friends, and also almost all my friends are males and they used to joke that I am more guy than girl (even before I come out as lesbian)... So it was hard to know until I said it myself.

16. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine knew, but to be fair, having a crush on a boy prior to being old enough to realize that maybe I shouldn't be blabbing on about him probably had something to do with it. (My first crush was when I was somewhere around 5 years old.)

#76 Twist, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017