1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircut pressure

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by antisocialfalls, Jul 12, 2017.

1. antisocialfalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really want to get are hair cut short(it's side parted and is shorter on one side and sort of flopped over on the other)but my friends and family really don't want me to. My mom says I can if I want, but she thinks it will be a lot of work to keep up. If anyone out there has this hairstyle, is it hard to keep up? I have always had long hair. People say that it's to big of a change for me and that I won't be able to handle it, but I'm sure I want this cut. The moment I saw it I thought "this one. This one is perfect." I really want something more gender neutral so I can look and feel more agender. I'm hoping it may also give me the boost of confidence to actually come out as agender to my family and friends. Any advice?

#1 antisocialfalls, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it. Yeah it's true that shorter hair needs to be kept up with. When my hair was long I would go 6 months to a year without a haircut because I couldn't be bothered. Now it's every 1-2 months but it depends on how short you like it. I get mine grade 1 so it grows really quickly. On your shorter side get a higher grade to see how you like it first and then get it shorter the next time you go if you're comfortable with it.

The jump to get your hair cut is a difficult one but it was honestly the turning point for me. Was possibly the most liberating thing about my transition. If you're sure then don't let anything stop you.

3. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    More haircuts, more styling, but it's easier to have short hair on sides and longer on top than to have, say, anime hair. That stuff was tough for me to keep up!

4. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't know why some people demotivate others by saying bitterly: "Don't do x because it will be too hard". As if they were happy if you fail ("I had told you!").
    All kinds of hair require some care (I made rhyme Lol), unless you wanna look like a lion with a mangy mane. Long hair have to be saved from tangles (dollars and dollars on special shampoo, I guess you know xD). Short hair have to be styled. Medium hair must have a sense so they don't look just "that thing in between, because I cut them once but now I'm trying to make them grow".
    So the best thing is: do what you want with your hair, and even if you'll find taking care of them more difficult than you expected, you'll be motivated to do it because you'll like the cut, like how you look in the mirror and how they show outside what is inside you (personality, gender, life changes).
    And anyways I had that cut once and it's not hard to keep. Even when it grows a bit, it keeps sense so you can wait two or three monts between every adjustment.
    And if you won't like it, it will grow again. Fortunately, we're not dolls (?*), so haircuts don't last forever.

(*Or are we dolls in the hands of destiny?)

antisocialfalls likes this.
  5. AaronV

I do put more work into my hair than I used to, but now I actually like doing it. When my hair used to be long it just sat on my head and I couldn't be bothered to take care of it. (It still looked presentable though.) I nearly started crying happy tears when I cut it short, it felt truly liberating to me. It takes some practice to figure out how to style your hair but in the end it's worth it.Yes, I go to the hairdresser more frequently now, but the visits are shorter. Trimming the sides takes 10 minutes maybe less.

6. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there, if I'm not mistaken you want the same hairstyle that I got yesterday xD It can look hard however maintaining it is easy. Basically all you need is hair gel and brush.

I was scared of it too but it's really fine. And trust me if someone like me (who can't even cut straight piece of something correctly) say it's easy then it's super easy xD

7. antisocialfalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh ok :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: thx I was really worried about the maintenance. A friend of mine's cousin has that cut and he says that it takes an hour to do so I got really scared lol

8. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have something pretty similar to that too and yeah it's really easy to keep up. I cut my own hair now so I do it every 3 weeks but I like to keep the short part really short so that's me.

9. antisocialfalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thx everyone for the help I made the appointment today!! I'm really excited! I'm planning to come out to my mom that so I'm kinda nervous

10. 13Matthias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck!
    Also bigs thanks for posting this thread, because I'm also looking to get my hair cut short and similar things are being said to me. I'm not sure my mum understands fully why I want it despite me coming out to her as transgender. I think my dad thinks I'm a lesbian (I'm afraid of the response if I came out to him).
    Anyway, good luck again, hope everything goes well and thanks again
    :grin:

#10 13Matthias, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  11. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since my chemo and losing all my hair during the treatment, I've developed a pretty cavalier attitude about haircuts. It's going to grow back, yeah? So if you don't like it, it's not as if it's permanent.

12. antisocialfalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Np :slight_smile: glad I could help

13. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go for it, when I first came out over 10 years ago. I had my girl friend , an actual barber give me a haircut taking off all the long hair buzzing the back of my hair to 3/4 of an inch and tapering the sides of my hair with a buzzer and she spiked the top of my hair leaving it a little bit longer it was my very first time having short hair my mom had me keep my hair very very long and it was super wavy. So my gf hated it long and took matters into her own hands with scissors and a clipper. I had let it grow back and kept my long hair for many years, now we have gotten back together again and I am going to marry her and she will cut all my long hair off again at our engagement party allowing all of our friends to cut my hair off passing the scissors around and she will buzz it at the end.

14. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    that is true and I hope you are feeling well. All the best to you.

Twist likes this.
  15. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mother had absolutely hated it and but it is gone , it is gone once the buzzer goes to the back of my head there is no going back. The hair can not be crazy glued back on, lol. She had asked me to wear a wig in her company and I refused.

16. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do find that shorter hair needs to be cut more often because it looks funny when it grows out. Two months after I have it buzzed in the back it starts to look sloppy if you do not get it re buzzed and uniform again.

17. larkmary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My gf is going to cut it very short cropped the first time she did it I was in total shock but she helped me come out of the closet. If she asked me to shave my head in March I will she does it to some of her customers for St. Baldrick's to raise money for people that have cancer. She really enjoys cutting hair and shaving hair especially on women.