1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Doctor Who is a woman

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bernice, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's just been announced that the next Doctor will be played by Jodie Whittaker. just wondering what any other whovians on this site think about the choice. For me its funny as aspects of the series mirror events in my own life. For example during the Matt Smith era with Rory and Amy I was sharing a flat with a couple who moved out once but then come back before leaving again and despite that fact we were close I've not seen them since. Then I got with my girlfriend around the time Clara turned up. I also had it in my mind that we'd separate before another companion and I was right as we broke up just before the latest series. Now I'm questioning my gender and lo my hero becomes a woman.

2. Ryu

Ryu

Time to find a wall to smash my face on.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lost interest in Doctor Who after the Matt Smith era. It is just going down hill in my opinion.

4. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't tell you how utterly, utterly excited I am!!! I think Jodie Whittaker will be awesome in the role. It's been a long time coming, and it's had a fair amount of pointers over recent years, but when I heard the rumours, I just couldn't believe that it could actually happen!!! I was hoping but not hopeful!

I'm so glad Steven Moffat is no longer in charge as I wouldn't have had great hopes that he could present a good female Doctor - but with a new showrunner, I think Doctor 13 has the potential to push Matt Smith off the top slot of being my favourite Doctor! I gave up on Peter Capaldi because, despite being a great actor, the writing was abysmal and made it unwatchable for me.

I can't wait for the next series! And am glad to be back!

#4 Silverbirch, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Stopped watching Doctor Who once Clara was introduced, but now I might get back into it

6. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SO EXCITED!! :slight_smile:

7. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nerd rage has resounded throughout the internet today :smile: Echoes of it were everywhere...

I will continue to not watch this show I've never seen. But if they hoped to generate publicity for it, they've certainly accomplished that.

#7 Libertino, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. astriferous

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so happy about it, and now that Moffat isn't on anymore I really think the show can start getting good again. I haven't watched quite a few seasons though, I've always been more into classic who even when I still watched doctor who in general, so I'm not sure if I'll catch up to watch this doctor just yet. But still, yay!!

9. Lazuri

Super excited. I wanted Tilda Swinton, but Jodie Whittaker is an alright choice.

10. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hehe, thats pretty funny. Maybe the Doctor will show up at your door and ask you to travel with her next? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I am excited for a new series of Doctor Who and its honestly about time that the Doctor was something other than a white male.
    I will miss Peter Capaldi a lot though. This latest series has really been the absolute best so far of the New Who IMO. He is great.
    One of my all time favourite episodes is actually Heaven Sent. He was absolutely great in that - I'm not sure any of the others could've pulled it off.

11. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm looking forward to it! Bit anxious, I just hope they will be able to do it well. Don't know much about the actress, so am reserving judgement till new season comes out!

12. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's an interesting choice, and certainly not unexpected after "Missy." I'm honestly just glad Moffat's no longer in charge. He can write good episodes with guidance, Blink and the library episodes under Russel T. Davies for example, but not good seasons. (here's a crack in space-time as a hook, let's just throw it in your face at the end of every episode in case you forgot about it)
    I have to wait forever to see the new season though, as I don't have cable and BBC pulled all their stuff off of Netflix.

13. ladykiki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's certainly spooky that it reflects your life at the right time!

I'm really excited for this! I watched Doctor Who in the late 80's as a kid, and was buzzing when it came back. However... I thought it's really gone down hill. I gave up the further Clara go into her journey (impossible girl? Who always saved the Doctor? Since when??) as it became all about her and not the Doctor, and to be honest, she just really irritated me, plus the writing was terrible. Capaldi was great but the writing let him down.

I started watching again when Bill arrived and found the love for it again. It felt more like Doctor Who to me, a normal companion instead of some mythical creature, going off on adverntures. Was so sad the it seems to have been Bill's only series! They have left it wide open for her coming back though.

(I'm going to use they/them pronouns for the Doctor) So about the female Doctor... it will have to mention or explain why they regenerated as a woman after 12 lives as a man. Why now? What's with the change? What will a female form do differently than a male form? They were heavily hinting at a female Doctor at the end of the last series.

I hope the writers don't mess this up, I think Jodie could be amazing! Chibnall wrote Broadchurch which was phenomenal, so I've high hopes for it.

14. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Yeah I mean he's been a man for 12 lives so I wonder how he's gonna be comfortable as a woman?

But still I don't like it how PI just changes shows. Especially a show with a tradition as long as this one shouldn't do that. For a strong female character they could just give River Song some more episodes.

15. Moomin101

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been watching Doctor Who since Martha (and caught up on earlier EPs) and I've never stopped watching it no matter how bad I thought it got.
    I think that having a female Doctor Who is fine and getting rid of Moffat was a great idea. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Jodie Whitaker but I wonder how she's gonna be as the Doctor (lowkey would have loved Olivia Coleman but that's just me)