Three Years in the Making

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by William, Jul 9, 2017.

1. William

Aight, so this is going to be a pretty hefty post, so bear with me.

So there's this guy named Owen and we've been on and off since my freshman year of high school and we're both about to be seniors. Freshman year, we cuddled, he sang songs to me, held hands, all that good stuff. We also almost kissed, but I didn't quite catch the hint and I missed out on it, and to this day I regret it. But through all of this, it would be cuddling one night and the next night we ended up hating each other. It was some crazy shit. Then Freshman year ended, and we didn't hate each other that much but we still weren't the best of friends.

Fast forward to the beginning of sophomore year. We started flirting again, and he would come into my room with nothing but boxers on and we'd lay there together. Then one night he wanted me to give him an ass massage, which I did (this detail is important later). But when I told a friend about it, my friend brought it up to him and Owen denied, denied and denied some more and went around telling everyone how big of a liar I was and stuff like that. No bueno right? Later that year, I wrote him a poem which was a parody of "Annabelle Lee" by Edgar Allen Poe which listed everything we did and at the end I said "I fucking hate you Annabelle Lee." He was in the class and later that day, he smiled and said that he hated me too.

We didn't talk for the remainder of that year and then junior year hit. We didn't talk unless he or I needed help with math and some of the help that he requested was sort of redundant and even my friends started to take notice. But they also started to take notice that he was hanging out with this kid named Grant in excess and warned me that they might be a thing (mind you, Owen is not completely out but it's sort of an open secret that he's bisexual). I asked his friend about it who said they are not doing anything and she then reported to him that I asked about it. He got pissed but I shrugged it off.

Then in about November, we got into an argument on Snapchat text after he said he wanted nothing to do with me. Absolutely nothing. And this came after I asked if I can vent to him. Things had been going well with us up to this point, but he totally flipped. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: "I apologize for telling one person about what we did"
    Owen: "Pfft, what we did."
    Me: "I'll never apologize for loving you."

Then the texts stop. I told my friend to go check on him and Owen was flat out crying. I spoke to him the next day and he said, "He can see us being more than friends if I gain his trust back." So I said, "Of course."

I then sent him a note on New Years' day saying how much I loved him and stuff. It was a long ass message. Then he said, "I know what this is like. But I can't." I was upset for about a minute before I bounced back and Snapchatted this other guy who'd I'd been talking to from my school.

Anyways, we've had a lot of small interactions since then. He laughs at my jokes, sends me the math homework when I want it and we got assigned to be prefects in the same dorm and were very close to being roommates. It almost turned bad.

But now here's the dilemma: going into senior year, this is the last time we're going to be around each other and in very high volume because we're essentially co-workers. We've had this on and off thing, and I wanted to know if it's finally time to make a move? Things started to look up for the last few days on junior year, just as they were at the beginning of when we'd be flirting and stuff.

My friend did say, with us both in the room, that we'd "end up fucking one day" and is this year the year?

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi William,

I was in a similar situation when I was at uni, in fact it was pretty much the same on/off things with a guy who wasn't fully out. It was really destructive and emotional draining (as your story sounds like). In the end, it took me a long time to get over and the best thing I did was cutting off contact. This is obviously my personal experience but I don't know how you two would get passed everything that has happened particularly as it sounds like your guys have established a pattern. I think (and obviously you can ignore it) that you might be better off ending things with him completely and just getting on with your life.

Do you really think that having sex with him with magically sort out what's going through his head? Do you think he will somehow become self-accepting and mature this year? It seems more likely that he will continue to behave the way he has and that you will continue to invest in this 'going-nowhere' kind of relationship.

Like I say that's just my view but based on the same basic circumstances.

3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree with the sentiment that unless you have some concrete evidence that he is going to be more mature, I would say he will probably continue to be unforgiving and fight with you consistently. Your behavior was not very trustworthy and mature either, so I don't think the problems with your relationship are one-sided. If, however, you can honestly say that both of you have matured a reasonable degree and are less likely to tell people about your interactions behind each other's backs, then I think you should definitely talk to him in person about going for a real relationship. Do not have your conversation with him over text message if you want to really have something with him.

#3 Humbly Me, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
  4. William

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have gone on with life and each and every time I do, he ends up somehow sucking me back in. I've done stuff with other guys and was kind of close to being in a relationship with one of them but I couldn't commit.

Now on the note of his self-acceptance: he is coming out to more and more people, so perhaps this year may be a year for him to fully come into himself and his own skin and that's what I'm hoping for.

Lastly, I don't want a "real relationship" with him. Like I care about him a lot, but the kid is a fucking handful and it's purely sexual for me at this point.

5. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well it's good for him that is coming out to more and more people, hopefully he will find happiness as a result.

For you though he might still be a problem. It would depend on whether you can get over him enough that it wouldn't hurt you to be around him. When you say it's purely sexual do you mean you just want to have sex with him, no strings? If so, it seems unlikely that you two could have sex without your emotions being involved given that you have history. Second, if it is just sex why are you hung up on him? Why not hookup with another guy? Or are you uncomfortable doing that? No worries if you are, it's just the 'purely sexual' thing that made me think of it.

It just seems (to me anyway) that if it is purely sexual then it is probably still better for you to back off from him, for peace of mind.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's too much trouble for a real relationship, the next option is to be FWB and maintain very strict boundaries. That's not easy. If it seems too hard, better to just not start anything and remain platonic.

7. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi William. If you're only interested in sex then you should discuss your relationship with him, because he will get the wrong idea, especially when you said "I'll never apologise for loving you". You have been giving him some mixed hints so for a closeted guy it's driving him nuts in his quest to find a definite answer about your feelings towards him. It was wrong of you to tell your friend about the butt massage, you practically outed him. The poem would have given him the wrong idea too.

He clearly wants something more with you, and you should speak to him to clarify what you each expect from each other, otherwise you'll just be on/off all the time which won't work out well for either of you.

That's my two pence, hope it helps.

8. William

Thanks for the help!

I'll try to take it slow this time around and be up front so that he definitely knows what I want out of this. Truthfully, I would have a relationship with him only if he was out. I've spent long enough hiding and I don't want to have to hide who my boyfriend is.

9. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi William,

Well best of luck. Yeah, taking it slow and being clear about things should help. Hopefully he's matured as well. Wishing you well.

10. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Tell him that.

Good luck, take care.