1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I find it very hard to make friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by boyinacoma, Jul 17, 2017.

1. boyinacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everyone. This may be long but I'm seeking some tips, so I'll provide some info for you.

A short background: when I was 12 and I was finding out about my sexuality, I started to pull away from my friends and family and grew up a very independent person. I never needed anybody for anything so most times I just simply didn't bother looking for anyone, I did everything alone and I prefered it that way and I remain like that. I suppose this used to and still plays a big role when it comes down to making new friends.

I'm 27 now and I wanna have friends to go out with to have a beer, to a club, to a party, to the movies, just to hang out somewhere, and I really don't know who I can turn to. This leads me to weekends where I either stay home all of it or I go out alone (which I love doing, but sometimes you just need a little company, you know?).

I get jealous when I see all these people with these big groups of friends enjoying life, sharing stories, making new stories, laughing, partying, travelling together, and I don't have anyone near me for that.

As for me, I have many activities through the day, which involves other people, yet I never get to have a connection with them. People normally like having me around (or at least I think so), I'm a funny guy (I love making people laugh, they usually laugh at lot when around me), yet I don't know how to make a connection. It ends where it started, it never grows fonder.

So, guys, I just need some tips on how to make new friends. I mean, what kind of actions should I take? What can I do to become friends with someone? It seems like no one or life never taught me how to do that, I do feel clueless. :/

2. Beyondout

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, BoyInAComa! I completely relate to what you've written:

I never needed anybody for anything so most times I just simply didn't bother looking for anyone, I did everything alone and I prefered it that way and I remain like that.

Yep! I am "self-sufficient" in every way. For example, I just moved my entire household and did every bit of the work by myself, including hauling the mattress and box spring out of the old place and into the new one. My thinking in these situations seems to be, "If I can successfully manage this on my own, why should I pester someone else for help?"

I get jealous when I see all these people with these big groups of friends enjoying life, sharing stories, making new stories, laughing, partying, travelling together, and I don't have anyone near me for that.

Agreed, absolutely.

I have many activities through the day, which involves other people, yet I never get to have a connection with them ... like having me around ... I'm a funny guy ... yet I don't know how to make a connection.

Yes here as well -- though I've begun to realize in these cases that a connection does in fact exist, albeit more meaningful in other people's minds than mine. So perhaps it's not the connection that's really missing, but the emotional "depth" we believe the connection ought to have?

It seems like no one or life never taught me how to do that, I do feel clueless.

Agreed again

Sorry, I've got no helpful advice to offer. I guess, just know that you're not alone.

boyinacoma likes this.
  3. boyinacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Never thought about it that way, but it makes sense.

Sucks not to have friends, right?