Confusing Behavior

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jesse23, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jesse23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So the saga continues. I have been posting about this situation for quite a while now and I thought that it was over when I made my last post, but it's not. This guy I talked to regularly and went out with twice slowly stopped talking to me after the last time we saw each other. I had sent a text reaching out to him to just talk and ask why we've lost touch. He didn't respond. My last post ended there, and I decided the best thing for me to do was to move on. The day after I made my last post however, he sent me a really sweet apology and said that this college leadership program that he is apart of takes up most of his free time. He said that his organization got out of hand and that he felt terrible that he didn't see my text until then. He went on to say that because of the organization, he's not able to talk/text as much as he'd like to right now because they are getting ready for school to start. It's been a week since he sent me that message, and I still think about him a lot. Because of this, I texted him last night to ask if he had any time to himself this weekend. He hasn't responded yet. I really want to see him but he just isn't giving off any signs that he feels the same way. I don't know if it's the situation like it was last week, or if he's just trying to get rid of me. I feel awful. It's hard to look at something objectively when you're the one experiencing it, so any insight into what you think might be going on would be appreciated.

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Jesse23,

My view: he could make the time if he wanted and it sounds like he is making excuses (perhaps I'm just being cynical or picking up on your vibe that that is the case). More importantly and basically, if you feel neglected and you've spoken to him about it but he doesn't seem to change then maybe consider ending it? I mean it's a two-way street and it sounds like you are making all the effort right now.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Jesse23,

I'm going to offer advice opposite that of Barbatus'. It sounds like you really like this guy and even though he kind of dropped out of sight there for a bit, he made the effort to recontact you and let you know what was going on with him. If he were really just thoughtless or just trying to get rid of you, why would he even bother to respond in such a way to your text? It seems clear from what he wrote that you can't expect him to be very responsive in the near future, but he seems to be telling you that he wants to stay in touch with you. I guess my question would be: what do you have to lose by staying in touch with him?

Just my thoughts.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess my question would be you said that he said he is really busy at the moment, how long is he likely to be really busy for? I mean if he is temporarily really busy but will have more free time in the not too distant future then I would say it's definitely worth giving him a chance when he is less busy.

Jesse23 likes this.
  5. Jesse23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Quantumreality,

You are so right! I've had similar ideas about how his thoughtful behavior doesn't match the typical cues of someone trying to get rid of me. I really don't have anything to loose from just keeping in touch with him, it's just hard to deal with. I'm so infatuated with him, and it's hard not hearing from him for long periods of time. I feel like I'm going crazy because he's never far from my mind, but I know that's something that I should tell him in person. That's mostly the reason I wanted to see him this weekend. I figured that the best way to move forward with this experience is to be completely honest about how I feel towards him. I guess for now I'll have to wait until he responds and then try and set up a time to meet from there. I'm over thinking it, but like you said, I just need to wait. If one thing is for sure, I can definitely be patient and wait.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Jesse23,

That makes sense to me. And if he really doesn't return your feelings or he isn't interested in working towards a real relationship, it sounds like he will most likely be upfront and tell you.

Also, keep in mind that since the two of you are not actually in a relationship right now, IF you happen to meet someone else in the meantime and get tired of waiting for him, there is nothing stopping you from moving on. (Although, of course, you at least would owe him the courtesy of letting him know that you are moving on.)

Jesse23 likes this.