1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News G20 Riots in Hamburg

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by anthracite, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Well you barely find anything in english.

https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.the...and-demonstrators-clash-at-protest-in-hamburg

Second is a video in german, but well, the pics are all you need.

Currently there are over 200 policemen injured, some severely. Number is rising constantly. One is now blind because of the attacks.

Estimates are 1000-3000 violent left-wing-extremists among the demonstators. Police had to get support from Berlin, but they fear that at the same time the riots will start there too. They didn't yet so we got good chances that this stays in Hamburg.

The city is burning. Cars are burning, and not just Porsche, basically everything that is not safe in a garage. They break into the shops ans just steal anything or break shit down. It's basically like what happened in Ferguson.

While this is happening, our minister for censorship...sorry, minister for Justice, Heiko Maas, joined a CSD party.

The rest of politicians are listening to Beethoven. Or blaming the police for the street fights.

The initiator of the demonstration called "Welcome to hell" claimed it was always supposed to be peaceful.

Couldn't get more absurd.

2. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The CSD party? What political leaning are they? Also, what does CSD stand for? And why did he join them?

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

CSD = Christopher Street Day = LGBT pride parade.

I didn't mean party like political party. Party like happy, dancing, drunk people :grin:

Maas is from SPD, which are social democrats.

A few days ago the "Ehe für alle" law was passed, which means that gay couples will have the same rights as straight ones regarding marriage. So I believe this is why he went. I wouldn't condemn this usually, but with the riots currently I think he's got better stuff to do.

4. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh right, haha, sorry, I didnt realise :laughing::laughing:

Why are people rioting though?

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate the violence. It's absolutely assinine.:frowning2: It only injures innocents and tends to radicalize moderates AGAINST the people who injure them through such ignorant violence. It's basically the very far left and the anarchists doing this in Hamburg.

But I have to laugh at the pictures of anti-Capitalist protestors holding signs AND smart phones. Uhhhh... it would seem that either they don't understand how things really work (the competitive Capitalist society that lets them own smart phones) OR they are simply hypocritical.

Either way that would seem to be an obvious disconnect....:grinning:

#5 Quantumreality, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That just sounds SO stupid! But actually only makes my point. Anarchists don't really care about anyone else. They just want to fulfill their own needs. They are like TeenAngst on steroids! How much more selfish can you get? Especially when you live in any modern society? To me, it makes them sound very much like spoiled kids who only want what they want and feel that they can tell everyone else to go f**k themselves. I think what they don't realize is that IF they ever pushed the rest of us to the same extremes of disregarding the laws and social niceties that allow large groups of us to live together relatively peacefully, THEY would be the first people that would be killed because they are SO outside the reality that the rest of us have to live in.

#7 Quantumreality, Jul 8, 2017
  8. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are they rioting though? I dont get it :worried:

9. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You can ask every movement of the 21st century that, and none of them have an answer :/

10. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Are you serious that they are blaming the police for the street fights?

11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The simplest answer is: because they can.

A deeper answer, from my personal point of view, is because most of them are ignorant. Many of them are disaffected. And most of them live on social media where they listen to misguided opinions instead of bothering to do real research and get the facts on things that are important to them. Of course, for some of these disaffected people, little to nothing is actually important to them. And others can be mislead by only 'researching' opinions that are like their own (reinforcing their beliefs) instead of researching the opposition and trying to actually understand the true nature of the conflicting opinions.

But, heck, what do I know?

12. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it is more like Enforcing there beliefs

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Limoridien,

If you are really interested, I would suggest doing a little research on the police in Germany. First of all, because of how the police were used to enforce Nazi regime policies basically from 1932 until 1945, the Allies limited their authority. Local police and higher-level (Federal) police were almost completely separate entities from 1945 and beyond.

Second, whereas here in the US, it isn't unheard of to disrespect the police in public, in Germany, they could physically abuse you and drag you to jail for disrespecting their authority. I'm not saying it's 'right' or 'wrong'. But I always respected it when I dealt with the Polizei in Germany. Even though I 'messed' with them a few times that I interacted directly, I would never have shown outward disrespect for them. (Although, as an American, if I ever thought that they were out of line - which never happened during the multiple years that I lived there - I would have reported them to the highest authority.)

Third, Polizei (police) are seen as a primary enforcement of order in society. And the Germans LOVE order. (Not that the rest of us don't, even Americans. BUT the Germans, as a society, thrive on order, which is something that totally endears them to me, even if I don't care for (as an American) how they always do things in a practical manner.

#13 Quantumreality, Jul 8, 2017
  14. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, basically, no one here really knows why they are rioting...

15. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I can tell that some might be against G20, but the violent ones are from a movement called Schwarzer Block (black block) who are some weird mix between anarchists and communists. It's also a lot of alcohol flowing, together with a fuck-the-system-mood.

And yes Limoriden, left politicians always blame the police. They claimed the police had worked towards escalation. So did Tagesschau, which is the equivalent to british BBC. Some (not politicians) claim that the police had commited some arsons themselves to gain a reason to attack.

16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I would support anthracite's post by saying that what is happening in Germany is very similar to the undermining of the simple, civil authority of police in the US and elsewhere by claiming (almost always falsely) that the police are setting people up instead of people understanding the need for law enforcement or being willing to give them the 'benefit of the doubt.' The only things these calls do immediately are in support of general anarchy. In the longrun, no society can function with anarchy, do that will push even the most left-wing people to call for order (i.e. enforcement of laws). That leads to a dictatorship-type government in order to restore a sense of security for individual citizens.

Oh, and in Europe, the left wing always blames any enforcing authority (police or otherwise) unless they happen to be the ones in power, because they always claim that enforcing laws on people equates to an authoritarian regime. Again, unless THEY are the authoritarian regime in power - such as the Communists in the Soviet Union, for example.

#16 Quantumreality, Jul 8, 2017
  17. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But I thought that the circle in the encircled A, stood for O which, in turn, stood for order?

#17 Blast, Jul 8, 2017
  18. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,

I want to remind all of you that, while it is ok to discuss the theme, you must remain civil. It is ok to agree and disagree, but attacking other members is a violation of the Code of Conduct, and may lead to restrictions in your account. Please keep that in mind before and while posting.

19. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was watching a live-stream (which just ended) where the rioters were throwing bottles, starting fires, flares, sparklers, etc..

So I do believe that actions of the authority, in this example, where in the right to attempt to halt the protest

(the parts I am talking about where after dark towards the end of the stream)

20. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know G20 is already over now for nearly a week but just if somebody is interested:

Basically people were protesting because it is a meeting between only 20(!) mostly capitalistic and wealthy nations deciding about stuff regarding the whole earth. An example: They made decisions regarding Africa with only one actual African Nation present.
    Of Course you could say, at least they are meeting and it's better than nothing but you're getting the point?

Adding to that they restricted freedom of assembly and protest by not letting People camp in actual for the protest provided camp Areas and stopping a completely legal and peaceful protest, not letting them into the protest area. (sry I can't find the source right now but I will Keep looking if someone wants to read it)

Also the "Schwarzer Block" isn't actually a part of the protest Group but a demonstration tactic. Wearing all black and especially covering their faces is used as disguise to make it harder for Police or other People to recognise them, so their chances are higher of not getting penalties.

I want to add as well that not all anarchists are riots. I believe anarchism would be the ultimate form of government (sry it's late I can't really express myself right now), it just wouldn't work out with today's People, still too dumb. But that's another Topic, just wanted to make clear that not all of them are douchebags.

I know this might Sound as if I sympathised with those rioting idiots. I DON'T, NOT AT ALL. It's important to differentiate between those and the many (!) peaceful protesters and you asked why they do it, so I felt like I just briefly explain.

(Sorry if some Information is not 100% accurate, I was told most of the stuff only by other people myself)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.