1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone decided to not come out to friends/family?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ScottBell, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ScottBell

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If so, how do you manage family relationships? Do you have a SO? How do they feel about it?

2. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not planning to do any more coming outs until I leave for uni in September. For now, I only have one friend who knows, he can be regarded as family. He doesn't really understand though as he's not gay himself. My family see that there's something bugging me and that I'm depressed, but I just blame it on general life issues (difficulties at school, can't get a job, etc.) which is true, but I omit the main reason. Half of my family is really homophobic, so I simply avoid contact with them to avoid any nastiness.

3. DementedTrendz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the time being I decided not to come out to my fathers side of my family, Mostly because there homophobic. Only by best friend, mother, and sister know right now. I feel pretty comfortable with that, so I dont know when I will tell everyone else.

4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, not going to be out to family unless things improve significantly with them. I'm not sure how one side of extended family will react, though I suspect it would not be a problem for the younger generation on their side (I know my cousins on that side have gay friends so I presume the same could be said for me if I came out to them) and the other I know the older people are actually more likely to be fine with it. My older cousin, my grandmother, and my great aunt are all fine with gay people, I think, but they aren't exactly the only family I have there and I don't think all of them would be that great at keeping it Secret. The others are all pretty homophobic, stubborn, bitter people.

5. GeneGenie

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I shall never come out to my mother as she is very transphobic. However, for other reasons, I have moved out of her home and we no longer speak, which means that I don't have to worry about her reaction.

6. OrinocoFlow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Only a small handful of friends and my significant other knows now... I am very fortunate to have accepting people in my life thus far, but I don't think I could ever come out to my family, mainly my father (and his side of the family) because they are very judgemental about the lgbtq+ community.

It certainly doesn't help that my mother came out as bi and left my father soon after, which left a very negative association with anything other than being straight. Overall it would just cause more drama than I need at this point in my life.

7. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people know or will eventually. But I won't tell my dad. He's the only one who may never know.

8. Mollyismyname

I'll never "come out" to anyone in a literal sense, as in "mom, dad, I'm gay/bi/whatever the fuck I am". I don't know why but I find that so akward. When I get a girlfriend (and hopefully that'l be soon since I'm heavily crushing on another girl) then I'll simply say "mom, dad, meet my girlfriend".

I don't... think I'll put our relationship status on facebook. I don't want all the dumb questions.

9. imacoolkid

imacoolkid Guest

I won't come out because my parents and friends are not homophobic so it's not a big deal to them, I agree with Mollyismyname that it would just get awkward. Also I really don't know what my sexual orientation is and I don't want to risk saying I'm gay and then end up with a guy or something. I think they'd be surprised if I brought home a girlfriend (because I've talked so much about boys in the past), but on the other hand they know I'm LGBTQ-friendly and that I'm not sure of my sexuality. They probably just think it's a "phase" though (even if I'm 22) and will continue to do so until I'm actually in a serious relationship with a girl.

#9 imacoolkid, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2017
  10. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am very out at school, and I am working on being out when I go to camp(a church-ish camp). Unless I suddenly decide otherwise, I won't be coming out at home or to family members till I move out for college.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to family and one close friend, but I hesitate coming out to anyone when I start college. I'm just tired of all the stupid questions I have to deal with.

12. Shibh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I would really love to come out it isn't in my interest to. My step dad is super homophobic and I'm afraid he'd stop me from seeing my sister (she knows and is fine with it, though she's only nine). My brother is also homophobic as well as violent. He suspects that I'm gay and makes sly comments about telling my mam though he's only using scare tactics, but if I actually came out I would be afraid that he would react physically. I think my mam and dad might suspect it but are hoping it isn't true. I don't think they would react well so I've decided to keep quiet and distance myself from everyone but my sister once I leave school. It's kind of disheartening but oh well (sorry for venting)