1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The denial is real

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ashlee Greene, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm at the point where I've had sex with the girl I'm insanely turned on by, and I still find reasons to think I'm not a lesbian.
    I think it has to do with control, or being type A, or the fact that I'm 33 at this point, and questioning myself is not how I'd thought my 30s would go.
    - I was a tomboy, basically in an ex Communist country I was the only girl with baggy clothes. I had a folder with pictures of European models that I would look at once in a while, mesmerized. On the family PC lol
    -when I came to the US, I identified as bi to a lesbian friend. She even wanted to introduce me to somebody. We used to go to the mall and check out girls...
    - I used to go to gay bars with my friends. The one time a lesbian whispered in my ear 'you're hot' was the best compliment I'd ever received. I remember there was a femme that wanted to take me home, and I kid you not, on the dance floor I told her I'm religious bla bla.
    - I kissed one of my very attractive friends after a party, pretending I was drunk. She was the most beautiful Japanese girl you'd ever see. Now I remember how I found a lesbian Chinese girl to be very hot, even though I didn't know she was a lesbian...she was more butch and I found her on a dating website recently.
    - I went out with a super attractive stud once, we watched a movie. I told her friend that I didn't want to be 'in a homosexual relationship', so nothing really materialized.
    I told my future husband I was bi, and he accepted it, and I brushed my attraction to females under a rug. The marriage sucks, because I got married for all the wrong reasons.
    I fell in love with a girl at work...I think. There was, and continued to be, strong chemistry/ sexual attraction.
    My husband didn't support my quest for identity, because he felt it was going to be more emotional than just sex.
    Three years later, we separated. He moved out. I sneak her in at night so that the neighbors don't see her car....not to mention we work together.
    My life is so complicated and I feel like I'm responsible for denying and closing myself off emotionally.
    Don't be like me....

maverick1 likes this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

It's great that you have found EC. I am sure we can help you come through the denial. Your work friend is she out or not? Don't feel like you are alone there are lots of people here or are or have been where you are.

3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, in no uncertain terms, we ARE responsible for denying ourselves and cutting ourselves off emotionally. That said, for some of us it was a tool we used to get by with feelings we didn't want to deal with.
    I knew early on that things were "off" for me growing up, but with no examples of positively portrayed lgbt folks, it was easy not to identify with it on a greater scale.
    You sound very much like you KNOW what you like, you KNOW who you're attracted to, and the only thing standing between you and happiness now is the ability to just accept it and to not feel shamed by it.
    I understand completely how you feel regarding being emotionally cut off. I have no friends, and haven't had what I would consider a "close" friend in over 20 years. But I also recognize that it is in large part due to me never feeling like I could be open and honest with someone about myself.
    It is said on here so many times about the need to make yourself vulnerable. It is very true. You can't get close to someone really if you're holding such a fundamental part of yourself back. For me, it always felt like yeah they like me, as long as I never let on about this side of myself. In reality, if they truly like you, it isn't gonna matter because they like YOU and not just your sexuality.
    Kurt Cobain said before "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not". At least this is one way to look at things maybe.
    You have nothing to be ashamed of and we have as much right to love whomever we want, just as much as any straight person does.

4. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that being emotionally distant is the way we become to deal with the 'issue' in life, a result of denial of who we are. I agree with angeluscrzy- I could not be free, open and honest about myself until I accepted myself. Until then, there was always the fear of what would happen if they find out/suspected? It sort of limits you to a great extent and prevents you from expressing your true self which has a negative effect on your personality and psyche. I am so much more happier now after I accepted myself.

You should consider yourself lucky to have someone you connect with so well emotionally and sexually.

5. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love that quote from Kurt Cobain. Thanks, Angeluscrzy.

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it just seems like a good mantra.

Peterpangirl likes this.
  7. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love that quote from Kurt Cobain.

8. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wish I had the guts to put that on Facebook!

9. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't overtly speak to sexuality, so why not?

Peterpangirl likes this.
  10. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's great that you have found EC. I am sure we can help you come through the denial. Your work friend is she out or not? Don't feel like you are alone there are lots of people here or are or have been where you are.[/QUOTE]
    She's out.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you worried about people finding out or working it out?

12. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think more about people finding out. I have not yet accepted it myself I think...sometimes I just want to have that freedom to say 'that girl is so hot' but I feel stressed for having to watch what I say... and I keep thinking people will know, and how shameful that will be...'oh Ashlee was married to a nice guy and she gave it all up for a fantasy'...or 'have you heard? Now Ashlee is gay'...and the awkwardness that would start. People will watch how they act or what they say around me. I've already told two girls at work ...one of them keeps flirting and she is so exotic and beautiful and great body and she kept saying 'I just wanna hold you tight' (and she has like the cutest voice and gestures too) or something and I told her 'watch what you say. Girls may like girls too'...and another one while giving shift report (I'm a nurse) was nervous and she kept hanging on to my arm and sort of kept touching me on my back and I pulled back, then she felt so bad because I'm kind of a tough nurse and I told her 'I'm bi, that's all'
    I don't see it working it out. Now THAT would be shameful. For people to actually know I am havin sex with somebody at work. A married woman with a soft butch. So wrong on so many levels. I think she actually has some abandonment issues also...and I don't even know who I am. I can't offer her anything at this point besides sex.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I think you need to take a deep breath. Let's look at things one step at a time.

Firstly you are married, but separated and getting a divorce right? Does your husband know you are sleeping with a woman?

Secondly sure people like to gossip so I'm not going to lie and say nobody is going to say anything about the fact you were married and now you are with a woman but you know the thing about gossip is the open you are about it the shorter lived it is. I'm not saying you have to shout it from the roof tops but admitting your marriage didn't work and now you've fallen for a woman isn't a massive sin and if you just say yes it's true, people are mostly likely to be like oh ok and then next week or the week after there will be a new bit of gossip and everyone will move on.

Thirdly people will treat you differently, ok some might. I don't know about where you live but when I came out non of my friends changed. It was something I was really worried about when I was first coming out, that they would think I was checking them out or something but it really wasn't the case. As for people hitting on you or saying nice things you should just take that as a compliment or if you feel too uneasy ask them to stop.

It sounds like it's all happened a bit fast for you and your head can't quite keep up with your body. I know it can be tough but I think you have to try and embrace your attraction to women rather than try and hide it away. I think by hiding it away you are almost reinforcing the part of your brain that feels it is shameful and wrong.
    You don't have to offer anything to this girl other than sex, you don't even have to offer sex that is entirely up to you. As long as you are both open and honest about the situation you are adults and that is up to you.
    As for sleeping with someone at work, is there are rule against that where you work or is she your junior because if not then I really don't see it as a massive issue.

14. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My husband does not know. He's been living by himself for about a month.
    Her job description is different from mine, hers requires a certification, but she's the same age as me. But I think that there are rules about people dating at work.
    Can I ask, how long has it taken you to achieve this emotional intelligence status? Gosh, I could really use a prescription for it right now.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha I didn't know I had a desirable level of emotional intelligence . Stick around I'll try and share it around. I think I learnt it all from the lovely people here on EC so it's readily available, no need for a prescription.

I'm pretty sure you are not the first people to get it on at work, I've seen these hospital drama shows hahaha, only joking. I don't know about in the US but my girlfriend is a doctor and she has told me stories about people at work so I can't imagine it doesn't happen over there.

I think the problem is because you are dealing with so much you are hyper sensitive to comments and situations and are probably reading more into them than there is. Apart from the stress of hiding etc are you enjoying your time with this woman?

16. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So this maybe too much info...I think I'm super inhibited when it comes to sex, right? But I really enjoy dominating her...I will have really rough sex with her while our bodies touch and I try to hold her by the shoulders...this almost scares me. Is this wrong to have these urges to do this ? And she is in ecstasy. I'm not depraved, am I?

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is it wrong, if you are both consenting and nobody is getting hurt then why should it be wrong?

Peterpangirl likes this.
  18. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lesbian sex i feel, is that sex that movies or books depict...enjoyable and kinky. I feel like it's a forbidden fruit. I guess I'm just having trouble accepting that it's amazing, and I'm surprised at what I enjoy...

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's ok to be surprised. It doesn't mean it's wrong. How do you feel if you look in the mirror and say, it's ok to be attracted to women and lesbian sex is not wrong.

Sounds like you need to read some other books and watch some other movies.

Peterpangirl likes this.
  20. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Silverhalo - trying to get it into perspective regarding being the source of gossip. Imagine yourself receiving gossip about someone else....you might find the gossip interesting for a short time, but it quickly becomes old news, as people are easily bored and fundamentally bound up with their own life issues, not yours.

I am not in a relationship with a woman but have told a selective few that I am bisexual or a lesbian and that it is making me feel anxious and worried right now, as my perception of myself has recently changed and it coincides with my marital breakdown. All have been supportive so far except one person, and this person is the one whose support is worth least to me, so I don't mind that she has changed her behaviour around me and started making laddish comments, as if I were "one of the lads" and reminding me of her heterosexuality (were I to forget!). It means I don't feel as if I have to be insincere or hide myself around those people and it really helps. Have you considered telling your ex- husband, before someone else does? It will be better coming from you than anyone else.

#20 Peterpangirl, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017