1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like a complete disappointment to my family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mattni, Jul 11, 2017.

1. mattni

Lately, my mom and dad have been bringing up "finding a girlfriend" and girls and blah blah blah and it's made me feel like such a disappointment because they seem so ecstatic about it. Whenever they mention it my face turns all red out of embarrassment and they just think it's me being shy, meanwhile it's just me thinking about what they'd think when they learn I'm gay and not really into girls. Just this morning, my mom told me she "wants to be a grandma one day" and that just made me feel like shit... I'm not sure if she wants biological children or adopted children or whatever but I know she really wants me to get with a girl. I'm not even sure if she'd accept me if I came out to her, she gives out such mixed signals about the community and it just leaves me with no idea. So yeah... more or less just a vent than asking for advice but it's still appreciated.

#1 mattni, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's understandable that you'd feel stressed in response to this. However, it's also a fairly normal thing in many social circles for parents to say to their children, so it's entirely possible they don't mean anything by it, for what it's worth.

Perhaps it's time to start considering coming out to them and establishing more accurate expectations for your future. You mention getting mixed signals from your mother - what does she say about the LGBT community? How about your dad?

3. mattni

My mom and dad call stuff "gay" all the time and my dad uses homophobic slurs. My mom also seems really religious but regardless of that my parents seem cool around gay people, (my dad is actually friends with an old principal of mine who's gay) however it doesn't mean they want me to be gay. My mom also looks up to a lot of gay people like ellen degeneres and george michael (i mean hell she cried when he died last year) but I've been told "Homophobic moms like gay celebrities no matter what" so I'm not too sure what that's worth. They don't talk much about the LGBT community but my mom has told me I can tell her anything and she'd support me, however I feel conflicted to believe that or not for some reason.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure where you got the "homophobic moms like gay celebrities" bit, but to be honest it doesn't make a lot of sense to me at least. :slight_smile: It sounds like your parents have some positive experiences with gay people (celebrities, friends, and so on), so this isn't a complete unknown to them. That's a good start.

It's unfortunate that they use "gay" as a put down, but perhaps this is automatic and not something they necessarily think about. The next time they say it, you could try pointing out to them that they might make the wrong impression on people when they use the word that way.

Coming out, of course, is something that you need to do on your own time and your own schedule - but starting to feel the subject out and maybe prepare the way with smaller conversations like this could help it go better, and get you more comfortable bringing up LGBT topics with them. :slight_smile:

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey matt,

Your life is your own. It is understandable that you don't want to disappoint your parents, but, ultimately, what you do with your life, what line of work you go into and who you love are up to you. You have to make yourself happy first. And the main thing that most parents want for their children is for them to be happy in their lives - regardless of any hopes or dreams or expectations that they may have for their children.

I really think that you are making a mountain out of a molehill in terms of your parents' ability to love you if/when they find out that you are not straight, but, as Gravity said, if/when you Come Out to them is completely up to you.

In the meantime, if you want to deflect their attempts to set you up in a relationship with a girl, you could perhaps just tell them that you aren't really interested in relationships right now and want to focus on school or sports or hobbies or whatever other activities you prefer.

Just my thoughts.:slight_smile:

#5 Quantumreality, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. mattni

I don't think I can bring up any of that without my face turning all red in anticipation, and if I do ask any questions about the community to them they'll probably get why I'm asking in the first place. They're one of those parents...

7. mattni

I mean I guess I may be making this a big deal but in my opinion I can never stress enough about this stuff. And yes, I know they do want me to be happy but you know how some parents may feel about gay people...

And yea, I'll probably do that to deflect attempts to try and get me with a girl. Good idea imo

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey matt,

Of course it's a big deal to you. That's completely understandable. What I mean is that you won't know how they will really react until/unless you Come Out to them and stressing yourself about it in the meantime will only cause you a lot of needless anxiety whose only thread of reality exists in your own mind. Instead of getting yourself wound up about something that you can't be sure of in advance and can't actually control anyway, see if you can just focus on paying close attention to your parents' attitudes towards and comments about LGBTQ people and issues. As Gravity said, if you can find any way to introduce LGBTQ subjects to them - even indirectly - that may help you get a better handle on what to expect if/when you Come Out to them.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey you are not making a big deal out of it it's a big thing. I don't think any parent 'wants' their child to be gay but it doesn't mean they won't accept you, even if they use gay as a bit of a slur.
    My parents are completely accepting of me but occasionally mainly in the past I feel like me being gay lets them down. In reality I don't think my parents think this but that it is in my head. Most parents want grandchildren and make comments about that but deep down most parents want their child to be happy they just don't comment on that as offen because it is just a given.