1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did seeing an LGBT trained counsellor help you?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Peterpangirl, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Robert1979

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. A competent therapist would never say those words. Unfortunately, there are many incompetent therapists out there. I've had first hand experience with some who are really great and some who aren't. My advice is to always go with your gut and not be afraid to switch therapists until you find the right fit. A competent therapist would, I believe, offer similar advice.

2. Ashlee Greene

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So how did it go with the therapist? I'm going to see one this week...

3. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still working on things. I have felt as if I'm going crazy, but the therapist reassures me that the feelings I am having are very typical. In my best moments I surrender myself to it all and feel much more peaceful inside and philosophical, but part of me then snaps back into "I wished I'd never seen this about myself and I wish I'd never met the woman who triggered my homosexual feelings and brought them to consciousness". Yesterday was a good day as I saw my therapist, and felt calmer, more peaceful and resigned afterwards. Today I saw my catalyst very briefly in passing and it just dredged up all the painful feelings and none of the better ones. I could only just bring myself to return her polite greeting and neither party could easily do eye contact. Fortunately, I will rarely, if ever, have to see her around after next week.

#23 Peterpangirl, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017