1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Cousin?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 12 Armed Ducks, Jul 8, 2017.

1. So I've been struggling a little with my identity. I decided I was female not too long ago, and I haven't really told anyone yet. I feel like I'm putting up some pathetic facade by responding to he/him like there's nothing wrong. I was thinking about coming out to my cousin. The problem is, I come from a family of kinda sorta really transphobic and homophobic (and frankly quite racist) people. I'm not sure he's like them too since my generation of the family seems to be at least a little accepting. I'm not really sure how to bring it up and I'm looking for some advice.

2. astriferous

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're nervous, you could get an idea of how phobic he is by paying attention to how he responds when trans and gay topics are brought up? This might give you a better idea of whether or not you want to tell him.

You could come out to him over text, which gives a sort of distance and more time for him to react to the news. I hope everything works out!

3. I already came out to him. He thought it was a joke at first and then told me I'm not a girl.

I started crying and my sister said he felt bad so I'm not really sure where we stand on it currently. Thanks anyways.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It sounds like that your cousin realised that his reaction wasn't the best one, and if you feel that the younger generation of the family is more understanding and accepting, you could try getting together with your cousin (if that is a possibility) and talk with him one-on-one. A one-on-one chat will give you a good sense of where things are at.

You have received some insights already when you came out to him originally, and with the additional information that you have gained from your sister, you could build on that.

I wonder, given what you have mentioned, are you out to your sister?

5. Yes, actually! She was very accepting of me and I'm very greatful for her.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear that your sister was/is accepting! :slight_smile: How would you feel about speaking with your sister on your intentions to speak with your cousin again - if you haven't done so yet. It's possible that she could potentially give you some additional info/insights on how the second conversation could unfold. Going by what you have mentioned in terms of his reaction afterwards, there is a chance he might be more respectful, and understanding the second time around.