1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people need to be so hateful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iliketolift1, Jul 8, 2017.

1. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is kinda just a vent for me so I apologize in advance.

I just can't seem to process why people are so hateful. I can't wrap my mind around it. I mean who doesn't love opening up Facebook to see posts from their family saying that gay people are "pieces of shit" etc and deserve nothing but the worst? I'm actually disgusted by it almost as much as they will be probably disgusted by me when I come out. I just can't comprehend it. I know hateful people like that exist but everytime I'm confronted by it it slaps me in the face again. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it. I probably need to grow a thicker skin. It just really really pisses me off. I just hope one day we can get past our differences and at least tolerate and treat each other in a slightly cordial manner.

I know there are loving and caring people out here (I know many and I'm so grateful for them). I dunno I just wish the mindless hate would stop.

Vent over, I'm sorry to anyone who had the "pleasure" of reading that. I'm just very saddened by it. I hope the chit chat section is the right area to post this. And don't worry I don't vent often sometimes it just gets too much and I need to know someone out there somewhere hears me (selfish right)

2. AnonymousM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just made a thread kind of about this in coming out advice...my family is exactly like that...i am struggling with it and very sad.

3. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this as well. We just gotta remember those hateful people will live sad and unfulfilled lives like that. I don't think they can be happy with so much hate inside.

At this point I'm more pissed off than upset. There is no excuse for this, not one.

I hope it gets better for you.

4. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tbh I don't know why I'm so shocked. I've heard it forever. It's been like an hour and I'm still seething. Is that normal? I don't know why this upset me so much. I think it was maybe because I've kinda been in a dream like state for the last few days not worrying too much about what people would think of me sexuality wise. That bubble burst a bit earlier today so here I am commenting on my post talking to myself. Wowzers im a sad person XD

5. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would just learn not to care. To me, not caring about others feelings comes naturally, but most people (like 89%) sadly have to learn to get over it, because they dont dictate your life, you do.

6. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From my person experience, people are hateful of things they don't understand. They want everything to make sense in their narrow minded vision when the world is so diverse.

7. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I assume that they hate gay people as they equate us to child molesters and just perverts in general. They hear "gay" and all they hear is "sex". They believe that we are overtly sexual and sexually deviant. They think we want to convert everyone to become gay. They think that we should be happy hiding away and that there is no reason to flaunt our sexual deviancies and demand special treatment.
    I'm sure theres more but I think you get it.

I dont think its right to dismiss these people simply as hateful without thinking about where they are coming from. I believe that it is important to understand your enemy; not because I think there should be some kind of forgiveness or reconciliation, but because I believe that understanding a problem makes it easier to destroy a problem.

Keep safe.

#7 Blast, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  8. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I am sorry this is happening to you. We should be able to rely on our family and friends - not fear them. I hope you are OK and I am sorry that you are having to deal with this horrible situation.

9. Flowey

Because it's also fun to bond over stuffs you hate.

10. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yup I get what you are saying. I do know where it's coming from for them though so I kinda understand. A lot of my family is extremely, extremely religious and thusly these ideas have been indoctrinated in them. I was so shocked because a lot of these comments are coming from relatives my age. And I dunno, I felt like they would be more accepting. I thought wrong I guess.

11. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't help that the haters tend to be the most vocal of groups when it comes to sounding their beliefs.

As SelflessSellout said, people in general are afraid of what they don't understand. There are those who sit down and try to understand what they don't know and become more accepting of diversity. Then there are the ones who attack what they don't understand because they see those things as threatening to their conception of how the world should be.

I think a major facet of bigotry is the lack of exposure to diversity. It's generally known that a good amount of bigotry in the USA tends to be in rural areas where most of the population is predominantly white and conservative. A lot of the people who grew up in these small communities were likely never exposed to a great amount of people who are different from what they were taught was normal. In the major cities its different since you're living with a greater number of people, many of whom live very different lifestyles and views on life. A child growing up in say, New York City or Los Angeles is far more exposed to people of diverse backgrounds than a kid growing up a small town in eastern Oregon or on a farm in Nebraska. This isn't a set in stone rule as I've met some open minded people in the small rural town I grew up in and some very bigoted people in the city, but it seems to be the trend.

12. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah that's kinda what's going on in my family. The ones that are like this don't know any better. To be honest they are brainwashed in so many ways. So I can't really blame them can I?

It's just upsetting to know that they won't love me anymore when they find out who I am. I don't really have a problem with them hating me as I don't want that negativity in my life but it's also depressing to know that such a little thing that's always been with me can change their perceptions so easily.

13. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well there are lots of reasons why, none of them really matter.

I agree with Limoriden, just have to learn to not care about what some people think.

14. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For certain. Once you understand who you are, it's best just to live your life in happiness without paying attention to negative opinions.

15. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I guess you guys are all right. Its more of a slight annoyance than upsetting most of the time. Sometimes it takes a toll though you know. I'll try not to let it get to me as much as it did this time.