1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about my gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheMatthew, Jul 5, 2017.

1. TheMatthew

I've began feeling like I'm non-binary lately, but I'm also very confused. I've never felt like a "male" in the same sense other guys are, but I've never felt female, either. Naturally, I'd think this makes me non-binary, but I don't really know. I feel lost. I feel like a mixture of both genders. Does this conflict with my gay identity? I still see myself as gay since I'm only attracted to men, but I don't know if being non-binary conflicts with that. That's what makes me unsure about if I'm non-binary. I don't know many non-binary people and have no idea how to really be able to tell... I feel like neither a male nor a female, while being identifying with both, but I also don't feel any dysphoria, and want to stay in a male body. Sorry if this post is a mess, but can anyone give me advice or help?

#1 TheMatthew, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. TomSawyer

Hi, I'm Sawyer. I'm genderqueer.

If you think you're nonbinary, chances are, you're right. I also identify as gay, but I don't think that it at all negates my gender identity. Not everyone experiences gender dysphoria, and really, nobody else can tell you what you can and can't feel in order to be nonbinary. If you feel like a mix of male and female, you're a mix of male and female, and your experiences being different from others doesn't make your feelings any less valid.

Hole this helped, very sorry if it didn't.

3. TheMatthew

Thank you! That did help, I think hearing from someone else who is non-binary helps a lot. I don't actually know that many other people who are non-binary. So, again, thanks.

4. TomSawyer

No problem, I hope you figure things out. <3

5. antisocialfalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is really similar to my situation right now and I am really confused as well. I don't really have any advice to offer but at least you know you are not alone:upside_down:

6. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wikipedia has EXTENSIVE articles on almost every gender identity possible, including those specific to certain cultures. Don't feel confused or alienated. Native americans and thai cultures have words for gender that we don't. If you're confused, it's because you grew up in a western society that doesn't acknowledge something beyond male and female in mainstream culture.

antisocialfalls likes this.
  7. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean specifically when you talk about feeling male or female?

8. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd also say, even though Wiki has vocab, don't sweat the vocab. Labels are for pickle jars and highly confidential government documents. All you need to do is:

(1) Be yourself
    (2) Be aware of what it means to you to be yourself (self awareness)
    (3) Be aware of who you are attracted to physically and emotionally
    (4) Enjoy life.