1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with outing in a small town

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anthracite, Jul 7, 2017.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

So, I'm considering to add some new people from my home town to the ones who know.

But one of the mayor cons is that I absolutely hate being the center of attention for stuff I have no influence in and second I have some feuds left here and they would probably use that against me.

Some of the new people are likely tolerant (some LGBT themselves) but it would be stupid to out to them and not the rest I might meet again while being with them. I highly doubt the latter group have an LGBT honor code of not outing people.

According to the city: It's small, talkative, conservative and gets off by scandals (even a divorce was discussed for years after the event). Did you have similar circumstances and did it go well? Or did you end up with a shame campaign against youself?

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

What I should add: The outing is about me being a trans guy.

3. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just hold your head up high and don't let the gossips bother you.Once they realise that they are not bothering you they will move on to someone else.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

They would not. They haven't got a reaction from said couple for years and the topic is still on.

It's easier said than done.

5. Enea

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @anthracite I live in a small town too, one that is similar to the one you have described :frowning2:
    What do you think they will do if they find out? Is there the risk of them becaming dangerous? I'm sorry to say this, but if I understood correctly your situation, there isn't an easy way to avoid gossips, sometimes they bloom even out of mere suspects :disappointed:

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Dangerous yes. Not to my health but to my career. Some will break contact. Not that I'd be bothered by those types. But I don't want them to know what I am in combination with what I'm doing because it's just not compatible.

7. Enea

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Wow, your situation is very difficult, it's always bad when something can affect your work :disappointed_relieved: