1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's possible to stay friends / a thank you to the EC community

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rch1, Jul 5, 2017.

1. rch1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey y'all,

So I've made maybe 10 posts on this website. And almost every single one is about the same person. My straight best friend. Basically I was in love with him for years, finally told him how I felt almost a year ago now, things were weird for a while, but now we're pretty much completely cool. Although it took time, telling him allowed me to finally get over him. I honestly don't see any reason why we won't be friends for life, I've seen him almost every day this summer and things are more or less normal... It's pretty dope.

I guess I'm posting this because I know how hard this situation is and it is possible to not lose a friend. That was the main thing that kept me from telling him for so long, I didn't wanna fuck with the friendship. But I guess I learned that if they're really your friend they'll understand and together you can work through it. So for all you out there in love with your straight best friend and you feel yourself going insane.... It's possible for there to be a happy ending, hang in there.

I also want to thank yall for everything. I was going through some pretty bad depression too and honestly am not sure if I would have been able to work through this shit without you guys. I didn't really have anyone else I felt comfortable talking about this with and you guys were here for me. The fact that multiple people would respond to my posts with multiple paragraphs telling me to hang in there and trying to give me advice is incredible. I was really struggling at some points and was basically going through this alone and every time I felt like I was losing my mind yall would help to calm me down.... idk I really appreciate it.

But yeah I'm doing good now I start an internship next week, I'm on a couple of dating sites and putting myself out there more and really trying to find someone for me. Still working on coming out to my family and the rest of my friends and all that shit but I think I'm gettin there. For the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to the future... its a pretty great feeling

2. Dutchboy20

Glad to hear man. I'm in a similar situation right now and this gives me hope. My friend might not be straight and things actually happaned between us but now it is time to become real friends again.

Did you take time away from him? If so, for how long?

3. rch1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey dutchboy,

Good to hear that this gives you hope. We go to different colleges, so we were apart for a lot of the school year. But yeah I think it would definitely help to distance yourself a for a little bit. Just make sure he doesn't think it's because you don't want to be friends at all anymore. Hope this helps

4. Dutchboy20

Yeah we are going to do this. Doesn't help that he did not want to really talk about it but thats just who he is. I do think that your feelings for your friend were a bit more intense and he was a closer friend. He have known my friend for 10 months and was 'only' in love with him for 6 months. So I am very happy for you that this situation is now finally solved because this gives me so much headaches, I can't imagine what it must have been like for you. Keep it up!