1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm bad at detecting sarcasm, but not at being sarcastic- anyone else?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes at being sarcastic, I'm actually fairly good at it and people can usually pick up on it these days. However, when it comes to picking up on sarcasm used by other people...that's where my weaknesses show.

You see, when I listen to others, I am often thinking about my response and often forget to listen to the tone and context, which can mean that I end up taking speech that was meant figuratively quite literally. I wouldn't say I'm "sarcasm blind", :eye::eye:but more "sarcasm partially-sighted". :eyeglasses: I'm not entirely blind to when people use sarcasm, sometimes I pick up on it- and sometimes I miss it completely. There was one time someone was being sarcastic to me for two hours and I didn't realise, so they had to tell me in the end because they couldn't take me taking them so seriously. :face_palm:

Other times I've picked up on it almost instantly, it really varies- but I am definitely better at being sarcastic than telling when other people are being so.

Anybody else relate?

2. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same. It's a part of my autism. I cannot tell when someone is being sarcastic and think they're being serious. It works the same the other way as I have a very dry sense of humour. I deliver my sarcasm in a very dry way, so no one can pick up on it.

3. Jedi

I am similar, I am quite sarcastic but I often have to ask people whether they were being sarcastic or nothe.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have this problem too, still do to some degree- but those that know me well can tell when I'm being sarcastic because they're used to my dry sense of humour. People that don't know me that well might struggle though.

5. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I'm not a very sarcastic person to begin with, but I do struggle with sarcasm, especially if it's out of context. Sometimes I don't pick up on the context of certain things in a conversation, and that includes sarcasm. I know how to use sarcasm and how to sound sarcastic, and I can detect it sometimes. But a lot of the times I take people literally, and it drives my family & friends a little crazy haha. I've never been formally evaluated or assessed for Autism/Aspergers, but I suspect that I might be somewhere on the spectrum. It's kind of tough to get a formal diagnoses as an adult though...autism was not as well-known when I was a kid growing up, so everyone always chalked my behavior and quirks up to being "socially awkward." I suspect it's more than that though lol. :shrug:

6. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same. It all sounds like they're being serious to me unless they're straight up joking around or change their speech pattern so much that it would be near impossible to not pick up on it.

7. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have atypical autism and I can be sarcastic to people sometimes. And sometimes they think I mean it but I tell them I am joking. That most be apart of my atypical autism I think.

8. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in the diagnosis process for ASD rn and I can occasionally pick up on sarcasm. I take everything literally. I use sarcasm all the time tho, I just can't pick up on it

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very much so. I can, though try not to, be very sarcastic at times. But with other people, particularly strangers, it is a lot harder for me to pick it up.

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on if it can be true or not. If someone says "I literally died laughing" I know they're not telling the truth as they can't have died if they're talking to me, but if they say "my uncle died laughing" I'll take them seriously. Even though I know it could be sarcasm, I wouldn't want to get it wrong and I overthink it.

#10 Secrets5, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  11. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean. Sometimes I get that someone's not being literal, but I joke about that possibility anyway. For instance- before my friend asked me to "Name 5" (in regards to people I care about) and I replied "Ok, 5 shall be named Fred". I knew he was asking me to name five people, but the way he worded it made me laugh and think about what it would be like if numbers had names like Fred and such.

Other times I simply have no idea someone's not being literal, but I take it as being literal anyway by mistake. I overthink a lot of things- which is why I'm usually the last to understand a joke in my group because I over-complicate/ over-think it and miss the point. If someone said their uncle died laughing to me, I'd probably think they were being literal since people can actually die from that- unless they were laughing whilst saying that their uncle died- because then they're either being sadistic or just joking.

#11 Canterpiece, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  12. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes!!! In 8th grade both my Social Studies teacher and I were exactly like this. It was hilarious because we never really knew when the other was being sarcastic. And then a convo would be like a train of misunderstood sarcasm.

13. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me. I sometimes have trouble detecting it, but I am sarcastic a lot.