1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigender or Genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Call Me Tate, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Call Me Tate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so if I alternate between Male, Female, and androgynous identities, am I Genderfluid or bigender? I know bigender can be feeling male and female seperately, or together (androgynous) but if I rotate between the 3, then is it bigender or gendefluid? Thanks!

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd personally say use whichever you feel describes your experience more, or whichever makes you feel more comfortable in expressing yourself. Bigender just means having at least 2 gender experiences, though communally it is more often used to describe someone who switches distinctly back and forth as opposed to "floating" along the gender spectrum, or feeling vaguely different day to day or depending on situation. If you have a middle androgynous identity, but your experience is mainly defined by the act of switching back and forth to you, then perhaps you'd prefer to say you're bigender (or, there's even trigender as well, or just nonbinary). For example, I know with me personally I also have a similar experience... I occasionally feel somewhat more attached to being a boy or girl, but most of the time I feel nothing or agender.... although how I'm feeling is pretty fluid, I usually just tell people I'm agender because of how I feel a majority of the time and because it's easier to explain. In reality, they're just words, and don't necessarily have to limit or define your entire experience :slight_smile:

Call Me Tate likes this.
  3. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From my understanding both from being bigender and from researching a lot, I would say you probably would fit bigender.

Bigender is moving along the spectrum between two identities. For me I am sometimes male, sometimes female, and sometimes androgynous or somewhere in the middle. But it can be any two identities.

Genderfluid as I have come to understand it is like being in a lake your gender moves between many different identities. And usually encompasses agender from what I have seen. It is different from bigender because bigender only moves linearly between the two identities. Trigender also could fit but I don't know much about it.

Call Me Tate likes this.
  4. Call Me Tate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I'll look into it.

5. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. A GayLesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can use both trigender and genderfluid, they're synonymous

#6 A GayLesbian, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  7. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really have to disagree with both of these statements. There isn't a single, fixed definition for either "bi-gender" or "genderfluid". Both of these are terms that arose in the LGBTQ community over time and were adopted to mean a variety of related things. Many people try to nail them down as being one specific thing or as being categorically different from each other, but that's trying to prefer simplified language over how people actually describe themselves. I've been in touch with literally dozens of bi-gender people, and they include people who switch, people who find themselves between genders, and people who do both. Unless we want to invalidate a lot of these people's self-descriptions, we have to accept "bi-gender" as a kind of broad term. It would be nice for me if it just meant switching between male and female, because that's what I do, but that would end up forcing a lot of bi-gender people whose gender identity is evolving over time to keep changing terms just to satisfy a dictionary definition.

I've often heard "genderfluid" used to describe people who move around in different places between two or more genders, usually not 100% one or the other gender. Of course it can mean other things, but this seems to be the most widely-understood definition. (For instance, there's a really good YA novel called Symptoms of Being Human whose main character is genderfluid, and that's what their experience is like.)

OK, climbing down off my soapbox. I hope that was helpful.

8. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have yet to figure this out myself. I use the word bigender because, well idk how to describe it tbh...i guess i just prefer the term? For genderfluid it describes someone who floats along the gender spectrum, to my knowlege, whereas bigender at least in my understanding is feeling both at once. Or is it two separate identities that have a clear distinction? Idk its so confusing!

And i don't even understand myself either. Am i bigender, genderfluid, or agender? I've never identified with being a girl and i've always gravitated to both boy clothes and girl clothes, but just dressing in boy clothes isn't enough. I've tried. When i want to wear boy clothes i also want my hair and chest to look like a boy's which i can't manage on my own. After that disappointment i just dropped the subject cause until i get my license and ideally a PO box i just can't do anything about it right now. Which is why normally i avoid even thinking about it, and for a while that's worked. Cause for a while just calling myself Alex on here and on twitter has helped, it just feels right, it feels like it belongs. More and more i'm realizing that i don't just 'not like my real name' but it feels bad getting called it.

I just know that some days i have girly days where i want to paint my nails and dress well and do my hair - which are few and far between - and some days i just want to put on the first comfortable outfit i find in my closet without a care for hair. I've never been particularly girly though...never worn makeup, never done anything with my hair seriously so far as hair products or styling goes or even dying it. So idk what i am either really...i mean i like the androgenous look but idk if i could pull it off and that would also require buying a binder which i cannot do atm without getting caught. I haven't even broached the topic of hair cause i hate my obviously girly hair but i need to learn how to style my stupid frizzy hair to look how i want it to and learn how to properly do that before i even think of cutting it. Cause that will get a reaction anyways, both at home (bad reactions for sure) and work (interested and mixed reactions expected).

#8 AlexJames, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  9. Zoe Kay

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! From what you said, it sounds like you are bigender - like me! :slight_smile: And there are also times when it feels more like gender fluid, especially when I feel like both at the same time and wonder how to express it in a way that feels best for me.

The thing I learned about labels and have never forgotten is this; they work for you and not the other way around. You are not obligated to do what another bigender person does in any situation or "live up to" any kind of expectation of anyone but yourself!