1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unknown737, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Unknown737

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am out to 2 of my closest friends as bisexual right now... I feel like I should tell my other close friends because it feels right and I want them to know the real me. I was wondering if it is worth coming out if even if I am not in a relationship with a girl right now...? I could live on perfectly fine without people knowing I like girls but I really want people to know... I do have a major fear that I am going to come out as bisexual and then end up being a lesbian. I am definitely more attracted to girls but think the right thing to come out as right now would be bisexual. Does anyone have any advice for this situation? To come out or to not?

2. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel like it's right and you want to then you definitely should, if it's safe for you to do so of course.

You may end up being a lesbian and not bisexual, but if the bisexual label feels like it describes you right now just go with it, there's no shame in realising you're actually better described by a different label later on if that does in fact happen.

Ultimately hiding part of who you are is never good for ones mental health so if coming out would increase the amount of positivity in your life, then go for it.

Best of luck.

3. Shirley Anne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    actually i quite agree with cody18 being who you are can only increase your self worth and make you more confident, all the best Shirley

4. Nocturnal Lord

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I will say; from experience; choose carefully who you come out to. I came out to some people who I thought we're my best friend's; but they were the ones who told a lot of people about my secret. Another mistake of mine was coming out to some people for no reason; I wanted to feel liberated. But it turned quickly; I was made fun of real quick and outcasted.

But it might go better for you. Don't rush into it unless you feel truely ready for whatever outcomes; good and bad.

Good luck!

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am amazed (in a bad way) that this is happening in the present. I hear what you're saying and can even feel what that would be like. Blech.

To the OP, there is no right answer though I feel that the forum tends to support coming out more so than staying in for a myriad of reasons. One of them is the belief that a person can breathe a little easier and take a mental health load off their mind. There are pluses and minuses. Figure out what your pluses and minuses are. Go with whichever way they tip. It's something you do for yourself, since it's all about yourself. You don't owe anything to what often amounts to a faceless community.

There's nothing wrong with changing labels. Elton John did. Also, since your gender shows female, women have a better time being accepted for being bisexual than do men. This is reinforced by the media and these experiences are even described on this board fairly consistently. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Good luck.

#5 Tightrope, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OP from experience I can tell you that aside from issues you may face with your family members you will find society as a whole is a lot more accepting of lesbians, especially lipstick lesbians, than they are towards gay males.
    As a bisexual with a knowing male sexual partner you may well find him pressuring you to have a threesome which you may or may not approve of.
    Most same sex female couples do not seem to approve of such antics in my opinion though I'm sure there are some girl couples who like to pair donk a male for fun &/or profit out here.
    I know this doesn't make your personal decision any easier because coming out to friends and finding acceptance doesn't mean that information won't get back to family, potentially causing conflict, but it is the reality of the modern world.
    Just remember this, every single time you have intimate sexual contact with another human being you've come out to someone as to your sexual preferences.
    So is it worth it?