1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Preferences Test

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Lawrence, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://musicpsychometrics.org/

The test plays short music clips, asks you rate them, and at the end it gives you some results

For example, I got this:
    I expected wayyyy higher for Intense & Rebellious... but hey they didn't include stuff such as Brutal Death Metal!

The test obviously has a lot of flaws but it's here if you want to kill 10 minutes!

2. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 114. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 103. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 103. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

3. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The musical preferences test measures fives scales. Scores are normalized so that the average score on each scale is 100 (like IQ scores).

• Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 90. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 120. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 126. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 117. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 119. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    This was super fun!!! Thanks for telling me about this, I'm showing it to some friends

4. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

This was fun! Not sure if this is super accurate for me because their music selection was kind of narrow, and I have a really broad & eclectic music taste, but here's my results:

The musical preferences test measures fives scales. Scores are normalized so that the average score on each scale is 100 (like IQ scores).

• Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 75. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 104. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 108. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 99. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 86. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

#4 Shoei Loei, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2017
  5. Nils

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 81. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 117. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 94. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 95. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    Not surprised, I'm really not a fan of country.

6. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 88. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 136. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 85. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 101. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 111. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

7. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    .Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 103. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 114. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 89. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 89. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 101. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    It was fun but the selection was a bit narrow, didn't hear any songs I really liked. Still kinda accurate

8. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 113. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 96. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 92. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 72. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 82. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

9. Zima

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 100. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 101. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 112. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 101. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 115. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    I guess this was somewhat accurate, although I'd expect Energetic & Rhythmic and Intense & Rebellious to be higher. I wish they had played better songs, haha.

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 96. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 93. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 87. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 105. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    What a shit-ily narrow range of music for a "music preferences" test! I HATE EDM and techno. Just for the record.

11. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I should have scored much higher for soothing and wistful since alternative and rock are my favorite type of music!
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 116. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 99. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 80. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 74. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 113. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

12. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My results:

• Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 118. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 93. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 110. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 97. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 111. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal

Looks like I have quite a varied taste in music. Who knew? Lol

13. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 113. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 73. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 84. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 119. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    No, I listen to hip-hop too, but this was shitty hip-hop.

14. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 92. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 108. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 126. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 125. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

ummmm i like hip-hop, rap, alternative, and indie rock and roll way more than techno and edm....

15. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 96. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 104. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 123. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 125. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 113. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

16. RevHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This test was fun for what it was, but it falls short in so many ways. It assumes that the categories they've decided on mean the same thing to everybody. What I call "Intense and Rebellious" someone else might call "Energetic and Rhythmic." Even so, assuming the categories have all been normalized, and we all agree on the categories, there is still a lot that is missing. There is no mechanism to communicate why you do or do not like a particular clip. Maybe a person likes the genre, but not that performer. Maybe it's too loud. Maybe it has too much bass, or not enough bass. It also doesn't seem to recognize that "genre" and "style" are independent of each other: a country music song can be energetic, or calming, or lyrical, or rebellious - any of the categories they propose.

But even more to the point, the genres are narrow and limited. Many genres and styles are not represented at all; the questionnaire asks only about so-called popular music genres. Where is Classical Music? Symphonic music? Film scores and soundtracks? Program music? Broadway musicals? Opera? Ballet? Gospel? Religious? Non-Western music? Atonality?

I don't know what they think they're measuring, but their clips are limited and don't capture the full scope of possible music styles and genres. How would someone not familiar with Western music respond to these clips? What kind of reading would it produce for someone who Disliked (or worse) all of the clips because the style or genre he prefers isn't represented?

#16 RevHale, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  17. ShyTaco

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Results of the Musical Preferences Test

• Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 79. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistfulwas 91. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 94. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 72. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebelliouswas 92. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    I honestly didn't like ANY of the music they played. I'm honestly surprised, because I don't like rap or country at all and my scores were higher than I would have thought. I don't believe this test was very accurate because it only covered several genres, and the ones that I like were not included.
    In reality, Intense and Rebellious would have been much higher. I like alternative music, and dislike rap, country, and techno stuff/music that doesn't use real instruments like guitars, drums, vocals without auto tune, etc.

18. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 83. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistfulwas 72. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 92. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebelliouswas 109. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.
    srsly? I have basically scored everything from Neutral to Strongly Dislike :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    where was the industrial I'm asking XD

#18 Mahidevran, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  19. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 75. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 59. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Lyrical & Beating was 67. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rap and hip-hop.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 113. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 90. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.

This thing lies. It's trying to say I like the stupidest music available. Their assessment of metal is completely invalid, as they didn't play ANY metal.

20. Lautaro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    • Your score for Upbeat & Conventional was 116. Music from this cluster is found in the genres country, gospel, and bluegrass.
    • Your score for Soothing & Wistful was 101. Music from this cluster is found in the genres alternative, indie rock and roll, and folk.
    • Your score for Energetic & Rhythmic was 78. Music from this cluster is found in the genres EDM and techno.
    • Your score for Intense & Rebellious was 103. Music from this cluster is found in the genres rock-and-roll, punk, and metal.