1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Becoming" asexual and aromantic after a breakup?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by valkyrieofgodod, Jun 30, 2017.

1. valkyrieofgodod

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's been a good while since my last thread in here. So I'm back with another problem.

I identify as a bi/pansexual cis-gendered woman and already came out to people that matter to me.
    My first homosexual relationship came to an end about 4 months ago. It was too painful to handle. I didn't see it coming. I was in shock. I suffered a great deal until somehow everything suddenly shut down . I no longer feel pain . My libido is dead. I don't feel any sexual and romantic attraction toward anybody. After a while I feel the need to contact to new people again , but I'm afraid of face to face contact so I mostly just talk to them online. Like I'm not ready to meet up with new people again . There is this girl on a forum saying that she's attracted to me and wanna get to know me but I told her I like her but not in a romantic way because I'm asexual and aromantic after a breakup. Is it possible to "become" asexual and aromantic after a break up? I don't wanna hurt that girl but I can't even imagine having a relationship now. Your 2 cents?

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kinda just sounds like you're still depressed from the breakup. Our hormone and chemical levels change when we're in relationships, so breaking up is actually quite literally like going through drug withdrawal on the brain. It's pretty normal to be fatigued and emotionally dissociated for a few weeks to months after a breakup. I'd say if it continues though and becomes nonproductive to your life you might have an issue though, or are experiencing some type of attachment trauma. Take it's slow with your friendships and emotional relationships.

I am capable of being attracted to lots of people and I have a fairly high libido, however, if I'm not emotionally close enough to someone, I will become closed off sexually, feel almost no attraction for them, in almost an asexual/aromantic type way. Also, I have seasonal depression during the winter so for about 4 months of the year I usually experience a complete flatline in sex drive, often feel disgusted at the thoughts of sex, and even by my partner, however I just attribute this to the chemical changes in my depression. For me personally, this doesn't change my attraction, however for some who experience this more erratically / regularly, it could be enough to make someone want to identify as gray-ace or something along those lines I suppose. Give yourself time and judge it as you see fit.

Secrets5, valkyrieofgodod and Lynz like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry for the difficulty of your loss. Losing any relationship is painful; when it comes without warning, it can be devastating.

As far as your question... true asexuality (as the term has been widely used and accepted for decades) is a hardwired orientation that doesn't change. Additionally, there's no credible support for the idea of a separation between romantic and sexual orientation, and what most people describe as "romantic orientation" is more accurately described as "emotionally intimate friendship." So neither of these would appear to apply to you.

Based on what you're describing, this sounds like the very typical response of someone who has just suffered the trauma of loss of a relationship. After such an experience, many people would simply have no interest in sexual interaction and often not in dating at all. This has nothing to do with sexual orientation, and everything to do with how we handle the loss of a relationship, and the deep feelings that go with it.

Secrets5 and valkyrieofgodod like this.
  4. valkyrieofgodod

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks you guys for all your kind opinion. Honestly, I don't want to be like this all. I isolate myself from others friends that I used to be closed to , too not just new people. I don't want to loose them at all but I can't bring myself to open up with them the way I used to. It feels scary. I wonder how long this would last...

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's still early days and you need to be kind to yourself and take time to recover and heal. I'm sure the last four months have been long and painful but all of that hurt should diminish in the fullness of time. At this stage it would be quite normal for you to have little motivation or interest in romance and sex. Don't push yourself too hard or jump to hasty conclusions and incorrect thoughts about asexuality.

valkyrieofgodod and EverDeer like this.
  6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't become aro ace after a breakup, but you can suffer depression that is strong enough to remove the natural desires until you move on.

7. kijs86

actually I'm facing a guy who has similar condition like yours. It has been four months that I'm trying to break down his wall, and it is not easy at all. He ended his last relationship near at the end of last year and ever since then he said that he turned to become aromantic. To extent that he is afraid of any intimacy, like for example once he went for a blind date and the other guy touched his hand, he got freaked out. So during this past four years I would describe describe our relationship is like partner, partner in everything because we ended up working together and almost see each other everyday. During these four months, I tried to 'seduce' him, but he is still hesitated and awkward. And regarding our status, he still cant give confirmation what our status is despite I feels like we do what a couple do usually and generally. We fought many times before, because I was seeking for affirmation from him but at the end what I did just increase the wall higher and probably I have to restart everything again. Then sometimes I feel he treats me badly on purpose maybe to test me out or seek that I will leave him or not. Actually I became quite insecure too, maybe he is just not into me...he once told me that actually, he is not into me but afraid if I leave.

Anyway, sorry for telling this complicated story, but I see that you have something similar with him so maybe you can relate to him and we can share some advices.

8. valkyrieofgodod

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Maybe the time is not right for you to make a move right now. It might be too soon ya know. Like your friend , I freak out every time people hug me or try to touch me in just a casual friendly way. I was nothing like that before. But even now, I still find having somebody around to do things with and talk to is so nice. So maybe that's what your friend feels about you. Maybe he just needs platonic love now. Don't try too hard to seek confirmation out of him. That just makes him feel more insecure. I know it's frustrated but if you can just hang in there. I believe that he needs you. It will get better.

kijs86 likes this.