1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to healthily deal with dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cody18, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, looking for some advice how I can healthily deal with my dysphoria as the title states.

I've been seriously struggling with it lately, well probably not more than usual but I seem to be struggling to control my emotions outwardly as much as I usually can. I just don't want to be seen as a girl anymore, I can't cope with it anymore, even though I try to make myself look masculine they still see me like that and it's so draining.

How do you guys distract yourself from it or cope with it better? I'm being brief here but any methods that help you would be appreciated.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes time and patience with yourself to significant drop in dysphoria. There are some things to alleviate pain temporarily, but ultimately mindset changes and new habits (and of course transitioning) will be more effective in the long run.

Things which help me, temporarily:
    -Distraction. Play video games, get lost in a TV show, read a good book, play a musical instrument, go for a walk outside.
    -Training. Physical training or sports which can focus you on something good for your body that you can be proud of, rather than dwelling on what is hard to deal with.
    -Positivity. Surround yourself with supportive people (e.g. EC or your school's LGBT affirming club) or watch inspirational videos on Youtube of trans* people. Make yourself list the things your proud of about yourself. Focus your mind on hopeful things to come.

For the long run:
    -Transition. Take the first steps. Depending on your situation, this could mean working on a coming-out plan, contacting a gender therapist, starting to dress differently or get a new haircut, trying a new name, purchasing binders or packers. These will make the biggest differences in directly lowering dysphoria.
    -Self love. Every day work on things you can be proud of in the future. Re-shape your relationship with your body by getting to know it in a positive manner. Learn new skills. Keep good people in your life. Visit beautiful places. Eat good food. Be alive.

Best wishes, and if you ever need anyone to talk to, I and others are here for you.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taking time to do things you enjoy, for sure. Wear baggy clothing to hide your figure if you have to, just for a break. Self-care is really important. It will help you feel a bit better even when you are down. Treat yourself to something you enjoy but don't have often.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sebby45

4. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I an gender assigned male but have always been emotionally and mentally female,
    Frankly I have always been envious of gender assigned females because it is easier for them to create a look that is gender neutral or dress in an appearance that displays a masculine flair.
    It is MUCH harder for a masculine male outward appearing person to display an effeminate persona.
    I guess what I am trying to suggest is perhaps you can find comfort in displaying in a unisex fashion.
    Don't try too hard in trying to project a complete male image, you may find you don't need the hassle of facial hair, bulging biceps and the urge to drink 24 cans of beer in a single sitting to be the person you are.

5. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Training >> weight lifting, maybe? I've always found it to have a specific way of making me feel, well, not 'masculine', but 'strong'. Since on top of this, this is something that society usually doesn't equate to feminine (with women even being discouraged from 'bulking up' because it's 'ugly' -- which is a lot of bull anyway, and a whole topic in and of itself), maybe it could help? I mean the feeling of strength. It's not so easy to dislike a body that feels strong and healthy.

Also, one thing I've noticed is that in a lot of gyms, people will actually be super cool about other lifters : everyone's focused on improving, and there isn't so much scrutiny as I believed at first regarding who does what and who's a guy, who's a girl, etc. I don't remember a time when I felt treated like an outsider because I wasn't a man. Everyone took turns at the machines and that was all. (OK, it may still happen because there are arseholes everywhere, but...)

Hope this helps.

6. AfraidandAlone

Lots of the suggestions here have been great (will use some my self), for me when I'm having a bad day with dysphoria I put on something cute I can wear under my clothes. I know it seems like something small and insignificant but for me it really helps calm me down.