1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Frypan, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Frypan

Hi all you lovely people. I consider myself as a genderqueer but everyone else (except one person) sees me as a male. Therefore I don't shave my legs. I feel weird about people asking me about it, but at the same time my leg hair makes me feel dysphoric... I have shaved one time before. I felt so good afterwards, but you know the hair grows back. Now it's summer and the thing that's keeps me from bathing is showing my legs to others. Have any of you who have shaved before got questions about why you have shaved and that stuff because they saw you as a guy, or do people even care? I hope you can help :slight_smile:

#1 Frypan, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In terms of shaving I've known people of any gender either choose to shave or choose not to. Sure gender has somewhat of an influence because of societal expectations on what women and men should do but it doesn't mean they have to be listened to.

In fact I know a handful of cis guys that shave their legs and some even their underarms as they just prefer the smoothness of it even on themselves, and I've never seen that make a single person question their gender. Of course in terms of dating options, if this is a concern, some people may be hesitant, but only because of body hair preferences rather than their assumptions of your gender.

Ultimately my message is, do whatever you want with your body hair, it's your body at the end of the day and you deserve to feel as comfortable as you possibly can within it.

3. Frypan

Thanks a lot. Your answer really helped me!

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I know it the other way round. No one said a thing or even stared at it.

5. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I have considered shaving off all my body hair because it just seems a little strange to me. I think body hair just looks a little weird, even though mine is almost transparent anyways.

6. Call Me Tate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm on the other end, im Genderfluid/bigender, and I've had to endure my dad harassing me about choosing not to shave, to the point of threatening even though he hasn't had a problem with my bisexuality (he doesn't know about my gender yet, but I've been dropping hints) so form my experience, sometimes people can have open mindness for one thing and close-mindness for another topic. It's been a tense issue in my household, but it's different for everyone.

Hope i'm not too pessimistic Good luck!

7. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel pressured to shave but if I had my way I wouldn't do it. It looks a little weird/gross to me and I'm afraid I"ll be seen as unattractive for not shaving. I really suck at passing for male though so I dunno what to do!!

8. Ravic

I used to be worried about shaving my legs because I wear a lot of shorts, so I wouldn't be able to hide the fact that I'd done it. When I got around to starting to shave them, I would wear long trousers to hide it, but after a bit I started to wear shorts again, and I got exactly zero comments about it. I honestly don't think anyone has noticed, or if the have, it's just been a shoulder shrug 'eh' kind of thing.

9. AfraidandAlone

I don't understand why it's socially unnaceptable for women to have body hair. As a trans woman even if I was out to more people i still wouldn't shave, and I don't think women should feel they have to just to please society. Also on the other hand if you're a guy and shave so what? It's your body, your hair, do what ever makes you feel the best, if that's shaving then shave. Personally I find women who don't shave to be rather attractive.

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still present male for the time being(I hate it but I have to a while) and no one really cares. I walk around in shorts, no one has ever said anything.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cyclists and swimmers shave. It's no big deal.