1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love hate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConnectedToWall, Jul 1, 2017.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Love and hate are opposing emotions, but the opposite of love is indifference. Does anyone else feel like hate intensifies love? Sort of like in a Drarry way, for example. Harry and Draco seem like a good ship because Harry obsesses over Draco in the 6th book, because he "hates him". But don't crushes often feel this way too? I'm just asking because love and hate are so intertwined in my mind, I'm just wondering if anyone else can relate?

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate people I like. To me that is an entirely contradictory concept.

If I love someone, I want to act benevolently towards them and be accepted and cared for by them. If I hate them, I will act indifferently or malevolently towards them (sometimes I can't help but be a little evil =D) and do not feel any need for them to accept me.

3. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I did have a person whom I both loved and hated/despised. It almost destroyed our friendship so right now I'm betting on love but I still feel hate sometimes.

As described in many books love and hate belongs among strongest human emotions. They both signify very strong feeling towards another person. So yes in some way they are almost the very same thing. And it's definetly possible to feel both at the same time. Although I've never heard of anyone developing crush on someone out of pure hate. That's simply not possible.

#3 DarkWhite, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. LittleStargazer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, the opposite of love is indifference, but hate doesn't intensify love, just shows that in some distorted way you still care about something/someone. Depending on the situation indifference can be as dangerous as hate, and sometimes you can hate someone but still respect them as a person so in this situation hate would be less dangerous than indifference. It's all relative.

5. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think hate is correlated with love because both reveals obsession and vulnerability. But there's still crucial differences. I personally can't relate to feeling love and hate towards a person at the same time, but I think it's a thing. I sometimes feel guilt towards people I hate, which I guess the guilt may be seen as love, but I find it's an extension of hate I bring upon myself (because I'm similar to them in some ways.)

#5 skittlz, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it may be possible to fall in love with someone because you hate them. There's actually this song lyric: "I hate you so much I fell in love with you."

7. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I wouldn't bet on songs here. You can find one about anything no matter what nonsense is it. I think you can love somebody when you find something attractive about them.

When you discover such thing you can have a crush on them and yes you can still hate them for another things. However you don't feel "pure" hate anymore. The only thing from concept "I hate you so much I fell in love with you" which I see here is that you became obsessed with someone because you hate them and discovered something you find hot about them because of it.

8. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds impossible to me. But if some people feel that way then I guess it is possible... :frowning:
    Although I would tend to think that someone who says that they love somebody who they hate actually just lusts after that person and doesnt love them. Either that or they dont understand what hate actually means.

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what you mean in that love and hate are related by the common thread of passion. Hate and love for a person can be just as passionate, and when this passion is directed toward another person, there can be some similarities (compared with indifference, where you want nothing to do with the person. People often say this of hate, yet hate can be very personal to where you simply cannot escape closeness to the person in question in order to hate them in such a personal manner).

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get what you're saying, but if my future husband hates me, I'll take it as a warning sign lol.

11. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha :sweat_smile: