1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mississippi can enforce LGBT religious objections law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RoseChan00, Jun 26, 2017.

1. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did research o this a while back but it tur s out their previous decision to make it impossible to be passed WAS REPEALED. As a transwoman (who lives in Mississippi), i'm scared this will get in my way, andsome of my friend's ways as they try to live out their lives
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...-lgbt-religious-objections-law-court.amp.html

Now,Take the article with a grain kf salt. All news needs to be taken that way. But,my mother who is in Mississippi, said this to me so i did researcha nd found multiple articles written only FOUR DAYS AGO
    so, i feel deeply afraid now as someone who wants to transition... i will be discriminated against,just for trying to be me.
    But this isnt about me. Everyone tell me what you think.
    Of the article ends up being fake, Don't blame me

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    unfortunately these laws are getting traction in the conservative areas, the religious groups using the courts the way we did, the pendulum does swing however and not all areas are like this, patience may be needed till one can get to an area that is more excepting.

3. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well the major issue here is... Now i risk being denied my own treat.ent to become who i want to be, all because someone higher uo says "You have demons inside you, you have a mental disorder, etc. etc." and just brow beating me down just because im not a cis-male.

As a matter of fact, im sure my i scurance might have helped to cover the hormone cost! Until this.

Now i'm afraid it will be too late for me. Because to be honest... As i discover .ore about myself and wanting to be , i find myself going into more depressive episodes over who i am.
    In other words... if things are prolonged fkr too long,i might choose an alternative to living in a body i hate.
    I'd rather live in a body i love or be dead.
    agbut again, this is not a place for me to discuss personal priblems even though this articl PO's me.
    I jsut need to stay calm... I'm gon a go relax a bit

4. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasnt really able to calm myself.
    I just cant get over this and how much it just... Hurts. To know OTHER PEOPLE plan to supress me and force their own beleifs on me...

5. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And this is exactly why I hate religion. I agree with @looking for me - you could find some excepting area. Also there are some people who travel to another country to get transition. In the worst case you could try it. Also I understand your frustration but we don't know anything for sure yet so hope is still here.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Rose,

I don't think you should get yourself spun up about this right now. The law is still being appealed and may end up even going to the Supreme Court of the United States and Mississippi isn't being allowed to implement the law while the appeals process is ongoing.

Mississippi is still very backwards when it comes to acceptance and supporting equal rights, but it will get there in time. The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a denial of service case from Colorado where a baker refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, based on the fact that he said it went against his religious beliefs.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/supreme-court-agrees-hear-appeal-same-sex-couple-case-n776686

The ruling in this case will probably have direct implications for the Mississippi law.

The Supreme Court has been ruling consistently against laws which single out and discriminate against LGBTQ people in recent years. An example is an opinion on Monday against an Arkansas law that required same-sex couples to get a court order in order to have both spouses names put on their child's birth certificate:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...lization-of-same-sex-marriage/article/2627103

7. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for helping me understand this better. I wasnt fully aware they woukdn't be able to pass it.
    Well... the main issue is that im nit even back home yet. Like... i have another minths wait and then if i can even get horemones within a mo th,that's still another month. So i have a 2 mo th period of being co.pletely unsure of whether or not i can even get hormones, because if hiw much they cost and my family is...
    actually relatively poor and my health inscurance doesnt cover hormones.
    So... itd have to be out of oocket... but no amount of working that i could do would be able to let me pay it out of pocket. I'd have to work every weekend and school night, Then my mom would have to helo chip in afterwards. Even the i dint thi k we'd have enough. And... i really dont want to start like a
    "Gofundme" like every other one of my online friends has said. They all say their closest friend did it but..
    i don't want people's money for a selfish reason like that. Plus i doubt people wouod really even botherhelphelp for the most part. That's like going up to random strangers and saying "Hey,Pay off my college fund or medical expenses please and tha "

8. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised with a Christian background, and I never cared for it all that much. I can't stand all the hypocrisy and politics that go on. I feel more and more disassociated from my past every day in that regard. At most, I can see myself as agnostic in regards to the faith. In reality, I have no idea how to describe myself.

I can't put it any better myself.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well its been pretty well said, the law isnt in place yet and could still be overturned. as for your insurance, check with them before you convince yourself that it wont happen, and if they say no, im sure you can find another way, adapt, ever forward sister.

10. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've tried to research the inscurance bu5 i cant find any info. my mom has to do it.
    And again, consideri g the type it is... se both have high doubts it will have any coverage.
    and alot of my friend said ooen up a crowdfu ding thitg but i dont really want topeople's money or anything. I feel that's cheap and selfish but it might actually be the only solution...

11. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well don't worry because I'll be fighting for your behalf in a very liberal part of the US.

12. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You shouldn't worry so much about this kind of stuff. Yes, there are religious instutions that do not approve of LGBT marriages. I personally think that those beliefs, if they are that fundamental to the religion, is up to the religious instutions to decide upon. It's their belief system.

But those belief systems are made up of INDIVIDUALS. That's why, even though it's pretty clearly stated by the Catholic Church that you shouldn't (a) grant marriage to LGBT people (b) leave the church (c) have women as priests (which doesn't necessarily make sense because intersex people are REAL and to quote Lady Gaga, "God makes no mistakes")..... people (b) broke away from the church (Christians aren't the same as Catholics) and (a) some pastors grant marriage to LGBT people and even some (a) groups who claim to be Catholic exist that are fighting for LGBT rights and (c) the right for women to become priests.

Separation of church and state is a fundamental part of the US. That and the right of freedom of religion. But where these two conflict, isn't really our problem. There are other places we can host our weddings, other places where we can take our wallets.

Before we had the right to get married, we loved each other anyways and held our own private unions. We don't need someone else to justify our love, and if discrimination happens, there will be a public outcry about it. I'd like to believe that the cisgender/straight majority is becoming more understanding and most people will by our allies. Children question everything, including politics and religious beliefs, and I think they'll come to find their own truths, the same way they weren't born disliking people of a certain nationality or cultural bakcground.

13. Mimikyu

I have no hope for the future any longer. People, even people i thought i knew, think this shit should go further and extend to denial of service based on race and call that "freedom" for business owners.
    This will not end well for anybody. Separate is never equal.

14. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a minister myself, it pisses me off that Christians even try crap like this. I spend most of my time reaching out to conservative groups on social media (Baptists in particular being as I live in the South and was ordained in the SBC). It's slow going. Most I've talked to are adamantly opposed to any position whatsoever that values people like us the way we are. I should add that I'm not out on social media much either, so I do this as an ally more than anything. Still, this is how my own views changed and how I finally accepted being trans. If I can come around, anyone can. It's just a matter of going one person at a time.

15. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I appreciate you being a supporter then, and a part of our commu ity. Despite no longer being a christian myself, i have heard fro many of my christian friends that there are plenty of stories that are misinterpereted by many people in the bible.
    I'm not sure if that is offensive to say but... i beleive that's true. People have this idea that certain things are sinful and that commiting tuese certain things ultimately means a one way ticket to hell.
    As a former christian who has researched and read many things... I have seen that true christians beleive anything can be forgiven. And those are the people who are often supporters (though not always)
    Of course religion is a huge topic for debate among some people, and among others it's simply one thing or another. I just let everyone hold their beoeifs and i hold mine.
    After all i'm a uniwue type of atheist who beleives in a form of afterlife, based on a scientific principle. But that's too much to talk abou5 here.
    In short, Tyanks for being here, and adding your voice to the mix. I appreciate it.