1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom of 13 year old pan romantic daughter feeling guilty...

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by RebeccadeWinter, May 9, 2017.

1. RebeccadeWinter

And not about what you might think!

Last year, when my daughter was twelve, her Dad took her and three friends to a show in Boston. During the show, he noticed that my daughter and one of her friends were holding hands quite openly. He informed me of the situation when he got home and the next day we asked our daughter about it. Without hesitation, she told us that she was pan sexual (she has since reclassified herself as pan romantic). My husband and I are very socially liberal and have two close family members who are gay, my brother and our nephew. We've always welcomed them and their partners into our home and have no problem with our daughter's sexuality except for the worry that she will be discriminated against and that because of this, her life won't be happy.

Since she was holding hands openly with her girlfriend at the time in front of her two best friends, we asked if she was out to them. She replied that she was and also told us that one of her best friends, let's call her A, was a lesbian and out to her parents and that her other best friend, let's call her B, was also pan sexual. (I know that she shouldn't have outed her friends to us but, I think her age at the time and our family's openness about sexual orientation, made her forget to guard her friends information.)

Fast forwarding through the last year, our daughter is no longer in a relationship (this sent her into a tail spin resulting in us finding her a therapist to deal with anxiety and depression), her friend group has expanded and is a magnet for many LGBT kids her age in school (mostly girls but starting to expand to some boys now too) and she and her friends feel very comfortable talking and joking about their sexuality in front of my husband and I, innocent stuff about crushes, etc.

While we absolutely want them to feel comfortable about who they are around us, I am struggling with the guilt that I feel about their parents, especially the parents of A and B who have been our daughter's best friends since third grade. Our families are close and the girls ricochet from home to home. I feel heartsick that I know something so important about their children but am not able to talk to them about it. Our daughter says that A came out to her parents a few months before she told us and was ultimately accepted by both her parents after her Mom initially struggled for religious reasons. B's parents, however, are homophobic and have made unbelievable insensitive remarks around my husband and I knowing that we have close family members who are gay. Our daughter says that B is scared of their reaction and, because of that, isn't planning to come out to them anytime soon.

I feel so guilty, like I am betraying these parents. I know that there is nothing that I can do but it is wearing on me. B's parents had a birthday party for her and invited their entire LGBT friend group except that they don't know. They don't know about my daughter. They don't know about A. Ugh.

In any case, has anyone here struggled with this issue? How do you cope? Also, on an unrelated topic, my daughter has said that my husband and I can go to the the local PFLAG group if we'd like and we would. Except that this would likely out her, at least partially, in our small town, perhaps causing B's parents to find out. These three girls are the very, very best of friends, and I don't want anything to change that. I'm so afraid that when B's parents find out, everything will change. I think my daughter would be fully out and not just to most of my family (my Mom and most of my husband's family still don't know) and to her immediate friend group. I'd like to tell her to be fully out if that's what she wants to do (which I think she does) but I'm so afraid. My fear partially was fed by the terrible break up my daughter had and the reaction of that girl's parents who have put her in counseling hoping to change her sexual orientation (she identifies as a lesbian.) She's no longer a part of my daughter's friend group as her Mom has insisted that she stay away from my daughter, cutting her off from so many LGBT kids from whom she might find support. I don't want that for B whom I love dearly.

#1 RebeccadeWinter, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't have any responsibility toward B's parents. You're responsibility is to B, your daughter's pan friend. Assuming that both of her parents are homophobic, she really needs an accepting parental figure to be there for her. Knowing that a parent won't love you no matter what hurts, it hurts a lot. I fully support B's not wanting to tell her openly homophobic parents - in that type of environment it just isn't safe. At worst she can get kicked out, but even if that doesn't happen it can still subject her to insults from her own family. Emotional abuse, really. Basically...its her secret to tell and in her own time, ideally when she's financially independent and has a group of supportive people she can rely on that hopefully includes some adults too. Your daughter has struggled and she has accepting parents - imagine how much worse it can be for kids who know their parents might not be accepting.

Okay i didn't read that last bit before posting that. I need details here, at least fake letter names. Who is this that has been treated so cruelly? The girl that is going to conversion therapy and been banned from seeing her LGBT friends that your daughter dated. Was she dating A or B, or is this another unnamed girl? This girl, whoever she is - does she have anybody to help her? Like, does she get to see her friends at school at least? Is there any way you can work around the no contact thing? Email, skype, texting, etc. I know your worried for your daughter but to be frank i'm more worried for this girl if she's mostly alone having to deal with all of that.

But onto your daughter...have you talked with her about the repercussions of attending PFLAG? I mean you don't have to be out to attend the meetings, i wouldn't think...couldn't you just go to them and feel it out, if you get what i mean? Like go and see how people's reactions are. You don't have to tell people that that's where your going. What does your daughter want to do? Is she wanting to take this slowly and feel it out, or is she ready to be out? It doesn't have to be some big thing with a group meeting to come out either, it can be on a casual basis (like if dating or crushes comes up in conversation) or on a need to know basis. Tell a trusted few and make up a good lie for everyone else.

#2 AlexJames, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  3. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I think you are an amazing parent. I haven't seen many parents who are as progressive and supportive as you.

I agree with LunarLyric. It's important for B to have an accepting parental figure and an lgbt safe environment to escape to. I'd hate for her to lose that on account of coming out to/accidentally being outed to her parents. Coming out can be scary, and like LunarLyric said, in that type of environment it just isn't safe. Not being able to be open about who you are is tough, but being rejected or even disowned by your parents is way worse. Until it is safe to come out, she has you, your daughter and her friends.

I too am worried about the girl going through conversion therapy. Is she still in conversion therapy? To be honest I don't know much about the subject other than from what I've learned from stories. It's illegal over here in the Netherlands. I'm surprised it isn't in Massachusetts. I've lived near Boston for a while and everybody was so progressive.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe in the US the only state its illegal in is California.

5. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It is illigal in various states and countries.

New Jersey, California, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Vermont, New Mexico and Connecticut, Additionally in the District of Columbia.

Additionally it is Illigal in Australia, Canada, China, Ecuador*, Malta, Switzerland**, Taiwan***, UK and The Netherlands (From a slightly outdated list)

* = Ecuador is forcing closure on all therapy camps and mental institute sections for this purpose but has not made private hiring for this purpose illigal.
    ** = Technically no law prohibiting conversion therapy, however your child gets placed out of home if you attempt to force your child to undergo conversion therapy and if the child choses himself the family will be on long term watch from child protective services.
    *** = Only Illigal in one "District" of the country, process to make it illigal in the whole country ongoing.

The girl in conversion therapy needs to get out of there as soon as possible, however it happens it has too. I know someone who before it became illegal here, was forced into said conversion therapy, it is very mentally torturing and has lead to her attempting suicide multiple times. I sadly can't give you any tips on how, I do not have knowledge of the legal system surrounding decisions of children in your country. It is actually the parents that need therapy, that may enlighten the child's pain. If they are homophobic from religious reasons try convincing them to go to a gay accepting church pastor once for his advice, it is the first step to making a change. Humans are not incapable of change, but change can be very hard to achieve, always remember that. If you are mentally stable enough to fight for a longer amount of time that can very well be the way to go.

Good Luck, I hope you find a way.

6. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Parents may say what they want to say but if B wants to hang out with your daughter at school, then so be it. It really sucks that this is the case in your small town. I understand where your guilt stems from, kids should never ever have to feel ashamed of who they are.

It really is up to you what to do at this point. Maybe it's safer to avoid detection and bullying to stay out of PFLAG. I'd say talk to your daughter about these things as well. She's probably had to deal with insensitivities and she's mature enough to help you make decisions like this. One risk associate with being out is bullying, and depression that may come with it but at the same time having that support group may be good for you and her. It's up to you to decide ultimately and I don't blame you if you and your daughter decide to remain stealth to avoid bullying and abuse.

A final option is to possibly move to a more open minded community

7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As many others have said, you do not need to tell B's parents anything that will harm B. You shouldn't and I am proud of you for not doing so, don't feel guilty because you're protecting B. I can suggest trying to coax them towards accepting the community in general, but it is not your responsibility.
    Keep up the amazing work with your daughter, she will surely thrive knowing you accept her.