1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to explain a name change?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So... I'm planning to just introduce myself with a new name. Well, one that is a different shorter version of my birth name, but it's masculine. Now... I wonder what I'll do if people who know me under both names clash... I don't want to talk about my gender with everyone.

2. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I legally changed my name by saying that I wanted a fresh start when I went to university which I will be in September. That was from my really feminine name to my name now which is Cody, and everyone believed me. Some did put it down to the fact they currently know me as a lesbian so attributed it to that but nothing about my gender was really questioned.

Perhaps you could explain using a slightly different name in the same way, wanting some kind of fresh start, depending on what's happened in your life it may work?

Alternatively you could try and pass it off as a nickname that you prefer, since it's similar that could easily be believable and if the person that knows you by your old name questions that just claim that they're one of the few that actually call you that. Doing so is more likely then to get them to evaluate their own behaviour rather than pry about your life.

Just my thoughts though, hope they may be somewhat helpful.

Caprice likes this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mhm. That's what I was planning to do.

Aaa. Aha. This way. I thought the other way round, that the "new people" would hear this explanation. But yeah, to tell this to the "old people" is possible too. Alright then. "I just prefer that". Sounds like a good startegy.

Thanks.