1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians/Bi women: Do you actually use nails as an indicator of a woman's sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AuroraBorealis, Jun 25, 2017.

?

Are nails actually an indicator of a woman's sexual preference?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2017.
  1. No

31 vote(s)
    83.8%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Depends (explain)

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't believe I'm asking this, but I always see jokes and comments about short and unpainted nails as indicators that a woman is into other women. I never took it very seriously, but I have seen lesbians *claim* that they get hit on more when they have short nails. Also, I was watching a video today where a lesbian made a remark that she was going to get her nails done, one of the top comments was basically calling her a "fake lesbian" and others calling her a "bottom" and "pillow princess"

Part of me thinks, "Well, yeah I guess long nails wouldn't be "ideal" for a lesbian" but I also think "but what if she's single, or like others say, a bottom, or..simply not into things where she'd use her fingers" I also thought 90% of the population kept their nails short out of preference..that's why I keep mine fairly short.

Sorry if I rambled....opinions?

2. MidnightRider

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    These people are just running away with the wind with some random detail, everyone will have their own preferences and there's always multiple factors that influence a decision about some aesthetic like this.

Not every woman with short hair is a lesbian either

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to keep my nails short and unpainted, because it's more practical for me. I paint my nails black on very rare occasions, but only keep them painted for two to three days (and have to do touch-ups even 30 minutes after painting them because I'm just not used to being more careful with painted nails).

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. Not heard that one.

5. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

Hah, this reminds me of that one episode of the L-Word from back in the day...you might know which one I'm taking about haha. Anyways, I don't think grooming/style choices and preferences of any kind (including nails) indicate sexual preference...I think that's just a stereotype (although it's okay to fit into a stereotype if that's who someone is). I can see how different nail length/style might be more practical in certain situations, but overall I don't think it's an accurate indicator of sexual orientation. Personally, I prefer to keep my nails short & unpainted, but I've been known to paint my nails quite often in the past, and I own a lot of nail polish. I just don't find that that's me lately, and I'm not patient enough to do my nails often...so lately they're bare.

#5 Shoei Loei, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

The short nail thing is only a stereotype because it hurts to be fingered if someone has long nails. And obviously straight women may not be fingering anyone, so it doesn't matter.

But not all lesbians even like to be fingered, some lesbians are single, and so on. My finger nails are only short because long ones feel weird- sensory issue.

7. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When in doubt, I would take the way the nails look into account but lots of straight women have short nails too for al kinds of reasons so I chose it depends.

8. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Long nails are really impractical for many reasons, and not every girl wants to spend the time required for painting nails. My super-straight girl friend keeps hers short because she enjoys DIY.

I do keep mine short, and intend to even after coming out, mostly because I like the outdoors and hate dirty nails. And slightly because I'm more likely to be read as a lesbian :grin:. Yeah, I'd probably paint my nails, but probably only to feminize my hands. In other words, it really is just a preference.

I think a better indicator of somebody's sexuality is if they wear a big rainbow shirt that says "I'm a lesbian" on it.

Peace...

9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With time you develop a decent gaydar and just intuitively know.

I don't think the nails thing is true. I think you can't tell by the way someone looks. Or by gender expression. Observing where their eyes wander and how they resond to things they look at, though, is pretty foolproof.

#9 Mihael, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't have a partner so my nails are quite long and last week I was using colour changing purple to pink glittery nails, so in short- no.

11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I think it's just a joke. It would hurt to have long fingernails in you but not everyone is having sex or sex in that way if they are having it at all.

12. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Clearly not. I've always kept my nails very short only because I do rock climbing and guitar, which long nails are the absolute worst. Also, if my nails get long they'll somehow end up super dirty for some reason, and I don't like the feeling of having my nail "touching" objects before my finger do.

13. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always used to keep my nails short to not hurt myself. Ever since I heard about that stereotype, I decided that I'd never let it be long again.

14. Glitterfish

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love my long nails and almost always put a lot of effort into them, I have no plans to stop!

15. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My nails are short because I spend a lot of time digging in gardens -- but there are a lot of reasons people can have short nails.

16. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I keep mine short and self manicured with clear polish. I used to bite them and I hated how they looked. Clear polish helps me not bite them oh when they get too long my typing feels weird. I did go through a phase where I painted them red but like someone else said it doesn't last long and it wasn't me. I don't think short nails would be a good indicator.

17. Jane Doe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's a massive stereotype and nothing more. I keep mine a touch long and often paint them black, and as mentioned by many others, I have loads of straight friends who trim theirs short for practical and preferential reasons.

18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  19. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I'm bi and not dating a girl. I keep my nails really short because 1) I play the guitar and 2) I masturbate and do not enjoy vaginal chafing or pain

20. imacoolkid

imacoolkid Guest

Definitely would not. I have a job where I'm "forced" to have short nails. I'm bisexual but also not sexually active with women at the moment. Also my nails are very brittle so at least during winter I have to cut them, otherwise I like having long nails. So it would not make sense to me to assume other women with short nails are queer.