1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your Work/School etc

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blast, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be as vauge as you want to or as specific as you like (as the rules allow).

I work mainly with schools. I am the ultimate middle-man whos position is essentially pointless. I push around paper and approve money after people have made real decisions that actually mean something like wanting a bunch of playground equipment or taking kids on a school trip.
    Plus, I get paid more than the teachers who do all of the real work. I dont know why. Its all very confusing.

Sometimes I love my job. I never thought I would get one like it. I thought I would be on minimum wage for my whole life. But when I stand back and look at it for what it actually is, it makes me want to scream.

2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school is pretty great academically and athletically as we have won state in tennis and other sports but it's gonna be such a pain going there. One my dad works there, so kind of scared he's going to ask every single teacher I have how I act in their class. And could ruin any relationship that could come about. However he's never been negative towards gay people just dismissive.
    Other than that I'm looking forward to it and gonna have to learn not to procrastinate.

3. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school is really nice. We don't wear uniform, there's a toastie machine and only 30ish in my year. I could tell u nearly everyone in the schools name. There is no divide between the rich and the poor and no bullying due to clothes or money. I spend a lot of time in the ASN department (additional support needs) Because I live in such a small community, everyone knows everyone and everyone is related. I still hate school most days tho. I only have one friend.

4. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I'm sure I've mentioned this about 50 times on EC (so I'm sorry if this is repetitious), but school is right up my alley; I'm a high school English teacher. I'm starting as a new teacher in August, teaching at my old high school, so it should be an interesting year lol. I'm anxious, but also looking forward to it. :sweat_smile:

5. timo

I work at Flying Tiger, a store most people in Europe will be familiar with. We have over 600 stores around the world, and mostly sell stuff you don't need but still want to spend money on. It's fun for a short while but I don't plan on making this my career.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm starting school this fall...don't know a lot about it yet, but super excited.

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm at a failing British comprehensive secondary school. I hate the constant focus on sport over academics. Our PE department gets loads of funding for new premises, equipment, etc, whereas the Maths department can barely afford a glue stick. People good at PE get so much more respect and celebration than other talented kids. I think this is partly as our Headmaster used to be a PE teacher.

We are very understaffed: lots of my classes have 30-32 pupils and short-term teachers who can barely control them all. Students with special needs or who just struggle in a subject get lots of support, which is great, but I wish gifted pupils got some attention as we are usually unchallenged and bored in lessons. Bring back grammar schools, please, Theresa!

Bullying is an issue. I live a mostly White British town with a growing immigrant community due to cheap housing prices. This is beginning to cause racial tension: many of the immigrant students are quite intimidating towards the British students, and the British students sometimes make offensive/prejudiced comments. Because of the lack of staff, pupils have trouble reporting bullying, and staff don't get a chance to deal with it.

I know I just had a bit of a rant but I just wanted to talk about it. There are some good points: the teachers do try their best and many are absolutely brilliant. Our GCSE exam results aren't too bad. We have a well-stocked library and lots of students like reading.

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm at a pretty meh university.

9. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Financial benefit is only one part of the reward that you get from your work. If you're not happy in your work then perhaps you should consider working out what job/career could provide you with some happiness.

I work as a gardener now which is a job I love. I look forward to going to work every day. I used to work in banking as a risk manager which was a respectable job that brought in a much better wage but I was miserable every day for ten years.

As well as work, I am studying to become a qualified counsellor.

If anybody wants my input, I'd say don't throw away a single minute of your life in a job that doesn't reward you fully. Do what makes you happy and never stop learning new things.

10. Loves books

I'll be going back to university in September I started last year and got so depressed I begged ror a deferral two weeks in which is something I wasn't sure was possible. Due to the fact I have a disability they gave me the deferral. My college is big on the whole tons of help for disabled people.

11. I used to work at a Carl's Jr.

I attend a polytechnic university.

12. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school is a vocational/technical school. Half the time, we are in academics, and the other half, we're in our shop. There are 18 of them, where we try all of them out the 2nd week of freshman year, and then choose 10 to explore, get assigned 8 of them, which you explore every other week until the 2nd semester, then you rank them, and get assigned based on your ranks and how good your grades are. You are able to switch shops if there's room, and you usually stay until you graduate. I'm in business and applied technologies, my top choice and the least popular shop, and ranked the rest (best to worst) something like: computer networking, biotechnology, graphic design, cosmetology, culinary, electrical, and plumbing. I loved my top 6, and hated my bottom 2. My school also has CAD/CAM, automotive, collision, carpentry, HVAC, design and visual communications (where all my friends are), metal fabrication, childcare, dentistry, and community health (a shop I would have loved to explore).

I don't have a job, but applied to Starbucks, Marylou's (another coffee chain in Massachusetts and Rhode Island), and a bakery down the street. I guess my 6th choice shop would have helped with those three places. None of them have responded to my applications so far.

13. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've just left college, or as they say in America 'High School', will be going to university but am currently working as a chambermaid as a summer job :slight_smile:

14. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I already left two schools, both were Bussiness colleges. First because of classmates and couldn't complete second cause I ended up in hospital for long time. Right now I'm studying biological lyceum and it suits me much better. I also used to work in McDonald's which was hell. Like seriously our boss wanted us to clean tables even on down side.

15. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm attending a good state university, majoring in psychology and doing so online. I'm in no big hurry to get into the real world and work....I'm thinking of getting my doctorate when I'm done with undergrad stuff.

16. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm halfway throught a master degree in immunology! :slight_smile: