1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take you to reach authentic life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder - how long did the journey of becoming your authentic self take you? I hope there is an end you reach and everything is in the right place? I've been on this journey for about 3 years now.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took me about 5 years. 2 of those were me fighting with myself because I didn't want to be trans. The rest of it was actually getting through the all the hoops so that I could legally transition. I still have a couple of things that I want to do, but for now I pass as male and that was what I was going for. I just want to have top surgery and a hysto.

There is an end, it just sometimes takes some time to get there. I was fairly lucky that my college had a therapist that specialized in transgender people. You also have to decide what the emd means to you. It can mean different things to different people. I know that some want to have all the surgeries and some do not. That is simply personal preference.

3. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fake life I was living started crumbling about Fall 2015 and had slowly been falling piece by piece until my depression got really bad in Fall 2016. I was hospitalized for a bit and I started going to therapy for a bit but once I moved away from home again I felt like I was starting to build a fake life again. And I'm still at that point atm.

4. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You know, I've only realized I'm trans for maybe 1 year to a 1.5 years now, and I'm still not there.

5. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I knew I was gay for about 2 1/2 years and kept it too myself, about half year ago, I told my immediate family and all my friends, so about 3 years im still in the process of telling my family like, my grandmother, my mema, my aunt, etc because a lot of them are against homosexuality

#5 kenn, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It did not take time so much as it took my efforts to sever all ties I had to an evil little town in Eastern Montana that I spent 10 years of my life in - where the typical opinion of the any given person in the populace is that queer people deserve to be executed for their transgressions against the Christian deity.

But, I guess I was forced to live there, against my will, for 10 years. So you could say 10 years I guess. But all it took was leaving and severing all my friendships. There wasn't really a process to it.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm... still not there just yet. It's been many years. Though it seems to be reaching it's end.

I suppose I'm in a similar situation to where Browncoat was, in an aggressive southern US state, just waiting to get out and start my life.
    I'm thinking once I'm over the border I'll "obtain my life", however, I wonder how well I will process it. Knowing me, likely rough but necessary.

The difficult thing is, while I'll finally get to express myself truthfully, I'll have to leave behind the few supportive people who stand by me.

8. Shirley Anne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    dear Emerry your journey is as short or long as you make it. your strength is what get's you through the day, mine has taken an aweful lot of years and i wish i had had the strength years ago. if it's what you have really decided then go for it with all your heart and soul

9. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still living a "fake life" but I'm getting more and more fed-up with it, and I think I'm going to have actually try and initiate some change soon or I'll go insane.

10. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not there yet. I know who and what I am, but I still have to live every day as someone that I'm not.

11. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I got out of the college dorms and stopped seeing myself as a victim.

12. Shirley Anne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hello,having voices in your head is only going to make it worse. try little steps at first. I know my first time was very weird i had two Scottish mates and they came around and let themselves in, i had just finished doing a full body cleanse and started to get dressed was wearing a basque and stockings when they walked into my room they turned and walked into the living room waited for me to come to them. i was all ready to defend myself, but they were so accepting what ever you want to do none of our business, your still our mate, So you see support can be right in front of you, people mostly see you, they just don't say anything until you do first. try it, the worse thing that can happen is you will have made the first step to the real you. the buzz is fantastic, hope this helped best wishes Shirley

13. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im making .y way to tra sition. I've been considering my gender and identity for well over two years but every identity kept a consistent "i wanna be female" theme.
    I knlw i'm a Trans Demi-Girl, and i'm proud. I even asled my mother if she was fine with me taking hrt.

Im 16 going on 17 this october 20th.

14. Shirley Anne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well if you have your mother then there is your starting point, now try a really good friend, don't blurt it out test the waters ask what if see how they react. I know you might not feel will it all get better or even easier believe when you are fully out, life seems so natural. For me i still have not started treatment but living the way i do is so much easier and the responses i'm getting is even surprisingly positive. i still get the odd person shout or laugh but that just strengthens my resolve.

15. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My friends know. but most of them dont realize much they hurt me when they make jokes about it (It's a typical guy thing in most firendhsios to make fun of eachother i think. Bt it hurts cause they refuse to respect tue fact i want to be female...abut they dont... hate me. It's stranye...)
    Only my female friends yonestly support me and stand up for me. i don't want to type a longer story than needed but if you wanna hear a littke story about one of tyem i could post it 9n your wall.

16. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'll have to get back to you on that whenever I actually manage to live a truly authentic life.

17. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, how many replies. Thanks :slight_smile:

Everything starts to straighten up so I'll hopefully have a life I want in about a month or two. After those couple of years... I don't know how to count that actually? Like, since when? Yeah, I'll hopefully be done soon :slight_smile:

18. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've passively identified as a woman for about 6 years. However, it wasn't until much later down the line that I understood that I had been identifying as trans and what it really meant to do so. Since that moment, I became much more aware of my insecurities in terms of being biologically male. Preferring female gender language, feeling like I could never be a guy when I picture myself mentally, feeling uncomfortable with my birthname, and feeling dissociated with my male body are all feelings that have awakened since then. Not to mention looking back at my past.I didn't feel like I fit in with my male peers in college, disliking stereotypes about standing up when in the male bathroom, and in general being told not to act girly by some of my family previously are all signs that occurred in the past.

Sigh. I feel like I have lost so much time. I'm 24 going on 25. I can still get things in order, but it certainly came as a shock at first. I'm working hard on coming out. A few of my close friends know, I am talking to my half-brother about it, and I have started transitioning in terms of gender language at work and where I volunteer. I'm thinking of talking to my family next, and hopefully I can look into getting a therapist after that. I have come to terms with who I am, but I have been struggling with issues like mood swings ever since that first day.

19. JennyS

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey I'm 25 now and I've been aware of myself being trans from a young age I've tried to come out a few times to my family and to a few friends in the past but I always fail and sink deeper into my fear that I'll loose everything about my life and I find I really difficult even thinking about telling my mum because I'm afraid that it will brake her heart but I'm getting older now and I can't keep hiding it from everyone it's tearing me up inside and driving me crazy I don't know what to do I'm terrified and I feel so alone

20. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure ... Do I have an authentic self? Has my authentic self changed?

I'm going to say all my life. And I'm still changing and learning and exploring.
    I'm not sure it'll ever end, tbh.

But if I'm content with the journey, regardless of the destination, I suppose it doesn't matter :slight_smile: