1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Avatar the Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Senpai25, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that this thread topic is likely from way out in left field, but it is something that made me think for a little bit. That being said, there is one scene from Book 2: Earth "season 2," episode 23 in the series, that made me reflect on the nature of coming out to others as a part of the LGTBQ+ community. The scene involved some dialogue between the characters Aang and King Bumi regarding the concept of jing, or how you direct your energy. The three mentioned included positive jing "attacking", negative jing "retreating" and neutral jing "watching and listening" as examples.

The way that I connect the concept is with actively coming out as positive jing, retreating into the closet for a time as negative jing, and waiting for the right moment to act as neutral jing.

I wanted to share this idea for awhile and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. I'm a little curious:slight_smile:

#1 Senpai25, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Altruistic blue

Wow, I personal love avatar the last air bender, one of my favorite cartoons of all time. This con el is pretty neat and I can see how you relate them both. I also relate to one of the scenes in an episode that I can't really remember when aang wanted to unlock his chakras. I view sexuality discovery as opening up different parts of yourself, much like unlocking a chakra

3. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for that Altruistic blue. I love Avatar the Last Airbender as well. I recognized the scene that you mentioned, and went ahead to look up the episode. It is episode 39 near the end of season 2 titled "The Guru." I can certainly see where you are coming from with regards to unlocking chakras as a comparison. I agree completely with you on that point.

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I wouldn't call coming out attacking because that automatically implies a negative reaction. Though it is true that one usually expects a negative response and tries to steel oneself as if going to battle, so you might have a point.

still a bit of an odd comparison..on the other hand...avatar is pretty awesome.

5. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well. I knew that my comparison was pretty out there at best. I understand your point. I was just quoting the show at that point. It is always challenging to come out to others as you mentioned. The main idea was as you mentioned that you have to steel yourself some before getting started.

6. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I loved avatar the last airbender there were so many interesting pieces of wisdom to be found in it, especially from Uncle Iroh. He always advised Zuko to think about what it was he truly wanted, which I think is really good advice. Especially for a lot of LGBT people when considering whether or not to come out.

7. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Uncle Iroh is one of my favorite characters in the series to be honest. Very often he serves as the voice of reason for Zuko and I remember when he openly admonished Zuko for not thinking things through after tracking down Appa in Ba Sing Se. I remember when Zuko did an impression of Iroh to get a hint as to what he should do. Only for Zuko to angrily state that he doesn't know what his uncle means even when doing an impression of Iroh. I very much agree with you. It is important to think carefully about what you really want in regards to coming out. Everyone's situation is different, and we have to consider for ourselves as to what to do in life.

8. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I read something very interesting in regards to Zuko and Iroh, that when they Iroh was in prison and Zuko would visit him they animated it so that the light shone on Iroh, while Zuko was in darkness, so it looked like he was the one in prison, reflecting which of them spiritually was actually free.
    [​IMG]

9. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I certainly agree. Iroh has been through a great deal in his life but has largely found inner peace. Zuko was struggling and trying to find his own path in light of everything that had happened to him. Furthermore, Zuko is a teenager. Even if his life had turned out better thus far, he still would have to discover who he truly is over time. He may not have been able to achieve self-actualization and become the firelord at the end of the series if he hadn't gone through the experiences that he did.

10. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's definitely true, I was so glad at the end when Zuko joined them, especially after seeing so much of his journey, toward the character he became. He started out as pretty much the comic relief bad guy, but by the end he was actually a really good character. It's interesting to compare him to Azula, who starts out seeming the more balanced and controlled one but steadily loses herself as Zuko finds himself. Though Iroh will always be my favorite character, I think he'd like England (lots of people who share his feelings on tea).

11. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Zuko certainly comes into his own over time. The differences between his characterization and Azula's really give a better picture as to how important personal experiences are in life. I have to agree about Iroh lol. He would probably have his own tea shop in England just like he did in the series during season 2 for a time if given the chance.

12. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, by the end of the season I definitely preferred Zuko over Azula, but I have to admit a bit after we first met Azula she became my favorite character pretty quickly. Despite being an essentially horrible person, she was a brilliant villain, I was kind of disappointed when she went insane, but I suppose that was the creators showing the consequences of her decisions to consistently reject love and loyalty over using fear.

13. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Azula was a very interesting villain to be sure. She had certain charisma about her and was always laser-focused on her goals. I feel that it was indeed necessary for her to go insane at the end for the reasons you have stated. It was also interesting to see the interactions between her and her friends. Ty Lee was my personal favorite character of the three of them from a personality standpoint. I always liked her perky nature.

14. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha yes, I love how she joins the kyoshi warriors she suits them so well!
    [​IMG]

15. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Avatar was my first anime and I love it so much.

16. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it interesting how in the end, Ty Lee more or less becomes part of a "matched set". (Before, while sitting around a campfire with Zuko, Mai, and Azula, she reveals that she joined the circus because was tired of being part of matched set with her identical siblings) To be honest, I'm not really sure how she became more secure in her individuality? Any thoughts?

17. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's quite a funny end result for her character. I was happy to see how things ended up for her.

Avatar wasn't my first series of the sort, but it is certainly one of my favorites.

I think that Ty Lee was happier that way because she got to shine on her own without the influence of being among her siblings for once. That and being with Azula and Mai allowed her to pursue a very different path in life then anything she or her fellow family members could have had the option of before.

18. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Who ships Aang X Zuko because its the 10/10 one of the best ships in the series.

19. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can certainly see that. They had shown good chemistry with each other at the end of the series for sure.

20. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Especially during the dragon dance episode, it was so squish *.*

I mean its a heart, COME ON
    [​IMG]