1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other Trans men Ok with using their birthnames?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cambria11rose, Jun 20, 2017.

?

Have you changed your name ?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Not yet

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. I don't plan to

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. hey,

My name has always been Cambria. I've always loved my name, as it's not too gendered and very unique. I've never wanted another name or identity, but simply discover and embrace who I am. I've noticed that a lot of men don't like using their birthnames, and I can see how they can really get in the way if it's highly gendered and a dead giveaway to others. However have any trans men kept their birthnames?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't because mine is very feminine, almost princess sounding. Though I considered taking the masculine equivalent - which is quite common I think for transguys to do.

And hey, Cambria is pretty cool. It could even go to Cam for a shortening if you liked.

3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are cis guys with feminine names. For example, there are guys named Sydney.
    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I'm not trans, so I can't really answer this.
    But I'm just throwing that out there that it's fine if a guy has a name that's more normal for a girl to have.

#3 Assassin'sKat, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like my birth name. But my transition is limited to a trouser suit and coming out, I guess... I'm not bothered with givaways at all.

5. Hey thanks, some really good insight. I guess I'm a little new to all this and assumed that most guys want nothing to do with their birth names, but it's really cool to see thats not always the case.

6. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I may be limited in my capacity to answer since I am a transwoman, but I will do my best to help out. While I prefer not to use my birthname, I have used a nickname all my life that is very unisex in nature. I feel dysphoria regarding the use of my birthname, but it is so rarely used that changing my name to it's feminine equivalent is not as high in terms of my priorities as it could be. I plan to change it as a means of taking care of loose ends later on though.

7. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cambria is a really cool name, I can see why you like it. Personally I never used to have a problem with my name, although I wasn't too attached to it. Lately I've found it very aggravating because I'm aware of the gendered connotations. But now that I'm planning on changing it I do feel a little affection for it, since I have a lot of memories and relationships I built while I used that name. I've always found the "y/ie" sound at the end a bit annoying. In retrospect, I wonder if that's because so many female names end with that sound.

#7 SomeUsername, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  8. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cambria is really cool and not really gendered either way. Honestly, I never hated my name, I like it and think it's pretty and a nice name, I'm just not sure how well it personally suits me, my gender, and what I want to portray to the world... I'm really torn about changing it. I've never had a terrible relationship with my parents, but we've also never been close either and they haven't emotionally supported me in much, I almost feel guilty because I'd probably do it before telling them and I wonder if they'd be just consider me completely distant from them at that point and find it reason to stop supporting me financially. But, most of my friends call me by a nickname that is different from my birthname anyway, and the only place my birthname is really used in my day to day life is at work, which isn't really my "real" self anyway since I keep my work and personal life pretty separate anyway... so, part of me thinks maybe it's just not a really big deal that way....

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I changed my name, but I used the masculinized version as my middle name. There are a few people of all gender identities that have kept their birth names because they are gender neutral. I think that Camberia is a really cool name!

10. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I absolutely hate my birthname. Unfortunately, everyone else still uses it, even those who know I'm trans, and I haven't been able to legally change it so I'm stuck with it for the time being. :rage:

11. caustic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I plan on sticking with my birth name after I come out. It's unisex anyway, so all I'd have to do is change the spelling, so that it looks more masculine.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always hated my birth name because it sounded so feminine and it was pretty common as well, so it didn't feel unique. It never fit me anyway. Most girls who had were ''bad girls'' while I was just a kid minding his own business.

My new name fits me much better, is more unique and sounds perfect. If I had an unisex name at birth, I may have kept it if it was cool, but if it would have been another ''Gabriel/Gabrielle'' then screw that.

13. I love all your insights. Sounds like there's definitely a range of feelings!

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My birth name is super feminine, and I've never heard of a guy having it. It's basically that trashy valley girl cheerleader type of thing, if that makes sense. I'm changing it as soon as I can, which I hope will be this year.

15. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate my birth name even though it's unisex, it just has a lot of bad memories associated with it. I am changing mine ASAP and I want to make sure my new name is 100% male. I like Cambria though, it's really cool. Never heard of it before.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm MtF but I plan to keep my middle name as Richard to honor my dad at least. If my birth name was like John I'd definetly want to change that. But gender neutral first name ftw.

17. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My birthname is really unique and I love it, it's just not me anymore. I prefer to be called Kiy (pronounced like Kai) which is just a shortened version of my birthname, however only my friends and family use it. I'm not too sure how I feel about my middle name, it's quite feminine but I really like it, and I would feel bad letting it go. If I was to change my first and middle name, I would make them Tristan Elijah