1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survive coming out to abusive parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ff305, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ff305

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Made a threat about my situation the other day, very specific situation. But now I just have some general questions, hearing on how others have succeeded with this would give me more hope in my situation. It goes up and down so much, when I'm with friends I feel 10 times better, being around my dad and at work brings me into a fearful state of emotions.

But those here who have went through coming out to an abusive family/parents how did you manage to do that? Did you get any sort of repercusion getting disown/thrown out of the home and how did you manage to survive that? How does it feel now, any regrets about coming out or do you feel like it was 100% the right decision?

I'm thinking about now maybe I should do it no matter if I loose my job, risk having to use up all my savings, get harassed by my dad. I'm already abused daily and inside feel as like I'm in prison serving a life time sentence and very isolated. I live in a country with a decent welfare state system so low risk of me ending out on the streets is probably low. I feel as if I'm already living on rock bottom, maybe I need to suffer through absolute hell for a period for the situation to turn around.

bootlegFinest likes this.
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey man, I'm so sorry you're in that situation. You shouldn't have to suffer at all and have enough already for being gay and having abusive parents. Those are not your fault. You deserve to be happy like you are when with your friends. Not knowing the full situation, all I can imagine is that you see if you can live with one of those friends, see if they know of a job you could get or help you find another job. See if there's a job placement office to help you or any other method of finding a new job. If you have a job and place lined up then move whatever stuff you can and get away from the parents. If you have living expenses to live on for a while then finding a job isn't as important before quitting. Around here there is a county office that can help with finding a job and they also help needy people with living expenses, food and clothes. I hope you find the resources you need and can get to a happier life and wish you all the best!

3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that your most reasonable option is to transition out of your parents house (any friend who is ok with you staying long term or an apartment if you can readily afford it on your salary) and line up another job if you feel that you will not be able to keep this one for some reason (you didn't make this clear).

#3 Humbly Me, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017