1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Period Dysphoria - Please Recommend Birth Control

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Foxfeather, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I need a generic birth control pill available for cheap at a store like Walmart that won't raise my feminine hormones. I don't even drink soy milk anymore because I fear estrogen will mess with me.

I know there's HRT but is there a way to block enough of my female hormones to stop my periods? I want to look into options.

God, it's one of those bad days. I feel so grossed out right now, I want to throw up.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You would need to see a doctor in order to get an rx, but there are various low dose birth control pills that will stop your cycle. The caveat is that there is very occasional breakthrough bleeding, but that is a small price to pay since it happens every blue moon. I recommend not getting the depo shots because they can make menstruation worse for some people and the shot covers several months, whereas you can always stop the pill if you need to right away.

I have been using BC pills for bad periods for years now and it works like a charm.

3. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd also say to go with the pill. That's probably your best bet without HRT and the least dysphoria-inducing IMO. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all birth control used to stop menstruation contains female hormones of some sort. There's estrogen, progesterone or a combination pill. I believe there are potentially some feminizing side effects and I do feel I look more feminine after taking it but I started taking mine at 14 which is when I would have been developing from puberty anyway so it's impossible to tell. I'm not the best example, in that case. You'll need to see your GP to discuss birth control and get a prescription. They are available for cheap but I think you can only get them from a pharmacy, not a random store :relaxed:

And honestly, don't worry about food or drink increasing your estrogen or testosterone. The amount of estrogen isn't enough to have any effect on your body which is why 'natural transition' doesn't work. I once tried to transition when I was 14 by drinking loads of milk, apparently it contains testosterone, I thought it'd worked because my throat felt all scratchy and my voice sounded deeper...turns out I'd just gotten an ear, sinus and throat infection. People say milk can increase the amount of mucus produced by your body, I wish I'd known that before drinking half a 2L bottle :disappointed_relieved::grin: I know it's hard but try not to worry about small things like that.

Good luck anyways :four_leaf_clover:

#3 Spot, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh and if you don't feel comfortable saying you're trans with your GP, my mom just told mine that it was interfering with my school attendance because of my cramps and sickness. Not sure if you're in school or working but you could just say it's making you nauseous, the cramps are too much or it's too heavy, etc.

5. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I'm not mistaken, progestin-only pills would have more that side effect than combination pills. Both types should fall under the 'alleviate cramps and sickness' category, but the first one is also advised in case of blood-clotting issues (symptomatic or not—if there's a family history, a doctor is likely to prescribe a progestin pill anyway, just to be on the safe side).

I have no idea if that's available over the counter, though.

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The combination pills are safer, and do not have a feminizing affect. They are usually low dose and just balance out your hormones so they are steady, rather than increased. In other words they prevent fluctuations in your hormone level. That is why it is better to have the combo. And yes, all these come through a pharmacy, there is no OTC.

The progestin only pills aka mini-pills are more dangerous as Nimmer pointed out, and don't do as good a job. Usually they are used in menopausal situations.

#6 Sebby45, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Hey, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've had an IUD for six months, and the doctor said my periods would worsen... then slowly get lighter. So far they haven't stopped, and probably won't. It's a non hormonal, and that's the only birth control I've wanted specifically cause of no hormones.

My last period about a week ago made me want to scream... I can't stand using tampons but I cannot handle pads or seeing any blood, that just makes me feel incredibly gross. I hate being reminded that I'm different.

I wouldn't really worry about the soymilk. Plant based soy is broken down and absorbed differently in our bodies than regular estrogen. If you want to stay away from hormones in your diet, stay away from milk and cheese/dairy. Because cows milk is full of not only estrogen, but bovine growth hormones. If the animals are fed hormones or antibiotics, you're getting those too. I started getting grossed out with more research and talking to dairy free people. I don't drink milk anymore.

I'm so sorry, I wish I could help or knew more about generic birth control.