1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Came Out to Family and Struggling

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LazyHarpSeal, Jun 22, 2017.

1. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I recently came out to my family (my parents; I'm an only child) who I live with and I feel like I made a mistake. They're religious and seem like they're just trying to figure out what to do with me. I know they won't kick me out or anything, but we are moving away soon, and my dad told my mom he's convinced it's a good idea because he doesn't want me to be influenced by my LGBT friends. He also seems to think conversion camp is a good idea, though I don't think he'd ever actually send me to one. Though my mom is more accepting, she also seems saddened by my coming out. It's been so awkward around here, too, and my mom keeps talking about how she misses when I used to be innocent and such. I guess I just need to get my thoughts/feelings out. It's putting a lot of stress on me and I just don't know what to do. I always feel anxious about it. It's controlling my life and it sucks. But anyway, thanks for listening... lol

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, you could write a letter to your parents talking about how robbing their child of the only people in the world that really understand what they are going through is a great idea for your mental health and how you would be so much more innocent if you were straight because it's not like a large portion of the LGBT population never date until their mid twenties and 1/2 of heterosexual highschool lose their virginity by 16, at least in California.

Sarcasm Over*

You could also add that you would be happy to see a licensed therapist trained in sexuality issues if they are truly concerned about you, and your therapist would probably be helpful in swaying your parents to a more supportive stance.

#2 Humbly Me, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
  3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey LazyHarpSeal,

Coming Out to your parents took a lot of courage. I'm very sorry that they are so unaccepting.

I can think of a couple of possible courses of action that you might consider.

One would be to just give your parents time. Clearly they are in denial about your sexuality, but if you continue to just quietly be confident with your sexuality, perhaps, over time, they will start to become more accepting.

Or you might consider trying a somewhat more aggressive approach. For example, you might want to print some literature on bisexuality and how sexual orientation is not a choice and can't be changed and give it to them to read. You could also, perhaps, continue to be insistent about your sexuality whenever the topic comes up. Yet another somewhat more aggressive move might be to do something along the lines of what Myclosetisfull said and see if you can get your parents to let you see a professional therapist (you could tell them it's for depression or something unrelated to your sexuality) and, as some point, you could probably get the therapist to bring in your parents for a group session at which point she/he could explain that much of your mental anguish stems from your parents non-acceptance of your sexuality and that they (your parents) must understand that sexual orientation is not a choice and it can't be 'changed.'

Yet another course of action would be to go back into the closet at least until such time as you move out of your parents' house, are on your own, and are no longer dependent on them. In this scenario, if the subject of your sexuality came up between now and when you are self-reliant, you might simply say that your Coming Out statement was a 'mistake' and that you were simply 'confused' at the time.

Just some thoughts. I don't know if that helps...

Stay strong!:slight_smile:

#3 Quantumreality, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Myclosetisfull likes this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm sorry things are awkward with your parents but try not to get too down, they have to go through their own journey of processing it and sometimes it can take a while. Parents often go through the stages of grief when a child comes out to them and it can take them a while to find acceptance just as it can take us a while to accept ourselves.

I would perhaps visit the PFLAG website and look at the material there, there is information there you can give to your parents to hopefully help them find acceptance.

5. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wish my parents knew I was trans. At least you can live more openly now. I hope your parents find peace with your identity. I wish you best. Let me know how it goes. YOu can always chat w/ me on my profile ifyou need to talk.

6. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for your advice! It's already been helpful in easing my mind and helping me figure out what path to take with my parents. Thank you so much.