1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Another US pro football player comes out of the closet...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Patrick7269, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for him! Finally can be who he really is in public!

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That is so fantastic! I wish one day current players will feel safe be out and proud though. :grin:

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's really cool. Hopefully, it won't damage his career. I personally think that was the cause for Micheal Sam's lack of success in the NFL.

5. Justinian20

I'm actually kind of happy with all this coming out. Its amazing that football players are able to feel comfortable coming out of the closet. In Australia, we kind of have a real macho culture with sport and I think it would be beautiful if guys came out in sport and were totally accepted.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was a great story. The full version is on the Outsports site. Some points that stood out to me were the line, "It takes a lot more strength to be honest with yourself than it does to lie." I think a lot of guys don’t fit any of the gay stereotypes which in his case made it easier to hide, and I think it also can make it harder for some guys to come to realize they are gay, at least I found that true. A big thing keeping people closeted is, "how deeply anti-gay comments cut" I think some people can just say screw you and come out, but many, me included, lose a bit of their confidence each time.

Congratulations to him for seeking help, coming out to his therapist and then following her advice! The more gay people in sports that come out the better so more people realize that gay guys are all over the masculinity spectrum and no matter where you fall on it, it's ok to be just as you are.