1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BadassFrost, Jun 21, 2017.

1. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wondering, do you have a favorite language (or languages)? If yeah, why? Is it a language you already speak, want to learn for some reason or just like how it sounds?

For me, these are 2 languages: Polish and Hebrew.
    Polish because it sounds tremendously funny to me, as there are many words that sound very archaic and diminutive at the same time to my native language, as well as a huge amount of funny 'false friends' we have in common (words that sound very similar but with different meaning). But on the other hand, listening to it as a whole is very pleasant for me. Also I'm trying to learn Polish, because of multiple reasons, for example I really want to learn another Slavic language (except for Slovak, which I already know a bit).
    Hebrew I just love because how it sounds. For me it doesn't seem so hard to pronounce, but still it feels so unique and exotic, especially because of their 'CH' sound. I'm thinking about learning a bit of this language as well, at least some basic sentences.

2. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I speak Assyrian, and it's not my favorite language, but I know lots of people who think it's cool lol. Otherwise, I think Russian, Slavic, Hungarian/Bulgarian, Icelandic, and Afrikaans are pretty cool languages. They all have a harsh but beautiful kind of sound to them, and I love how unique and complex they sound. I don't know if I would want to learn any of those languages, but it would be neat to speak a few different languages. I think lots of languages are pretty cool sounding in their own ways, and accents too. I feel boring with how I speak because I'm used to my own language, and I otherwise speak American English.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I greatly admire Spanish as the language of much of my family and ancestry (though I have never been completely fluent in it, on account of the fact that my mom was not raised to speak it and thus only my dad has been the source of Spanish knowledge, and he never spoke it to me as a child with the intent that I should become fluent), I have to say that I have a preference for ancient language. Hittite, Akkadian, Sanskrit, Latin...these are my favorite languages. It is based on the way I presumed they sounded, and their fascinating history.

4. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Francais. I took 4 years of it in high school after giving up on Spanish after one year. I don't know what, but I just loved learning the French language and about their culture.

5. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first language is french, but I speak english and spanish as well. I think my favorite language depends on what I intend to do with it. For writing or telling stories, I like French because there's so many ways to modify the intonations in your text and adapt it to "fit" your thoughts and express them as they are. For writing songs, I prefer english. I don't know why, it's just easier and sounds a lot better. If I would like to learn another language I would love to learn swedish, it just sounds so cool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same!!! My first language is English but I'm studying French and I'm a BIG fan of French children's literature (Barbar, Asterix, Le Petit Prince). We should chat sometime and you can rate my French :grin: It seems really outlandish to say, but I'd seriously consider moving to Sweden...Stockholm has such a high "happiness" index and some actual lesbian bars.

7. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha no prob! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And yeah, Sweden is a really nice country and they are very welcoming of the LGBT community, but I'm very happy with where I live too! :slight_smile: Here in Montreal we've got a LGBT neighbourhood with plenty of gay bars and loads of activities all summer long. They actually cover all the streets with colorful ribbons attached to the buildings from one side of the streets to the other and it forms a rainbow accross the entire neighbourhood. It's really cool!

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably something like Old Saxon, lol

9. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I fluently speak English (first language), and American sign launguage. I also understand basic Japanese. My favorite is probably asl, its super handy when im around others that speak it, especially. Deaf people

#9 kenn, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  10. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just finished two terms of college Spanish and I enjoyed it, but I don't feel a great desire to take more. I'd like to learn Japanese since all my favorite shows and video games are Japan-made.

11. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah that's so cool! Quebec is another place I really love, so it's nice to know they're welcoming to the LGBT community. Are there any specific bars you like?

12. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me it's a tossup between PHP and JavaScript :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't speak either one but French and Hebrew. Russian and Greek are also very beautiful languages

I know some French and some Hebrew but I'm nowhere near fluent in either one

#13 swimmingfly, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say Italian. I love that it ends in vowels and it sounds very pretty. It also has a very similar grammar to French, so it's very easy for me to pick up.

I'm a language student, so I know many languages and I plan on learning more. Honestly, there are so many that interest me.

15. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't start to explore them yet! :slight_smile:

16. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese. I already speak Spanish fluently and speak some Portuguese but I can read it much better than I can speak it. I love both of them because of the way they sound.

17. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Latin, probably. Or Norwegian.
    Or python :raised_hands:

#17 RMember1, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like French. I'm learning it at school and it's a nice language. I also like Cornish and I wish more people knew it, same with Welsh and Irish.

19. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So many languages appeal to me: Arabic, Yoruba, Navajo, Khmer, Thai, Russian, Irish, German, and French sound nice. Chinese and English are pretty awesome, too, but I speak them, so I don't perceive awe as much with them. Amharic, Japanese, Georgian, Armenian, Burmese, Bengali, and Telugu also have pretty scripts!

20. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well definetly english, it's an amazing language and it sounds cool ^^ And czech, my language because it is hard so people never understand a word xD

#20 DarkWhite, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017