1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 12 year old girl gets cut off when she announces in Mormon church that she is gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Luka99, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  2. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    that's seriously brave of her

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very brave of her, indeed! But it's sad that the LDS church is in such a perpetual state of denial about LGBTQ people. Fortunately, there are more and more members of the LDS who choose to make up their own minds to accept their LGBTQ kids, but the unwavering, discriminatory anti-LGBTQ policies of the LDS church leadership still causes a lot of problems.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really proud of her. That took a lot of guts for her to do that I could never do at her age. I'm really pissed off at the church for cutting her off. She had the right to speak. I hope she disses Mormonism when she's older.

5. Sienrar

One of the official views of the LDS church is identifying as homosexual, bisexual, or lesbian is not a sin.

Unfortunately, each church will act somewhat independently and this one chose to silence the views of one of its members in favor of a more filtered selection of content, so as not to offend the ears of the listeners.

6. Loves books

That was brave verging on stupidity. Coming out publicly at that age in a church of all places. The last place you should come out in most major religions condemn gays

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    More stupidity than bravery. To come out as a minor who is still dependent on their parents/legal guardians while in a belief system that isn't cool with homosexuality is stupid. Sure it took a lot of guts, but she didn't think this through enough.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Props to her for being brave about coming out that young when the LDS has never been queer friendly. Hell, they didn't let black people into the church until the late 70s or early 80s. I hope she's going to be okay and her parents are half way decent people who won't shun or disown her.

#8 Daydreamer1, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly why I didn't understand why they cut her off. I'm sure she wasn't saying anything about sex so just coming out should have been fine. I'm so proud of her and amazed at the courage she has. Bravo to her!!

10. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Her parents were already aware ánd supportive of her being gay. They wouldn't let her do it at first, but I guess they gave in for whatever reason. I suppose they were okay with having to break with the chuch if if would come to that.

11. As an exmormon it was all of us on r/exmormon who made this story spread through the news. We're tired of Mormonism trying to make itself look good when it really hasn't changed. As someone who still has to go to a mormon church, LGBT members are still treated like total garbage. BYU used to do aversion therapy on their gay students, and that got thrown under the rug completely. Very few people know about it, sadly. The church only "changes" and tries to look good when its money and amount of members is on the line.

12. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  13. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's nothing wrong being Mormon and gay, though if you practice the religion "faithfully" or the "right way", yes, there may be conflicts. Whether she sticks with the church or leaves and eventually becomes an atheist, agnostic, straight, trans, bi, les, whatever, I just hope she finds her own truth and her own happiness. I couldn't find myself or the truth in a church so I moved away from it but if someone believes sicnerely in something and it makes them fulfilled, then they should go for it. I've got my own personal conflicts with certian religious sects and I could go on about it for days but in the end , if its intention is to help people and make this world a better place, as most religions at their core really want to do for us, then who's toe say it deserves to die or be rejected any more than I do?

14. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mormons are so strict, man. That's so brave of her. But I'm not really surprised. There are so many different ways to be a Christian, but with Mormons, they all seem to be pretty strict about their rules. But Mormonism is just another version of Christianity. Her family clearly loves her for who she is. If I were them, I'd try to find another church, to be honest.

15. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's unfortunate when love doesn't prevail, regardless of the B.S. -- ahem... belief system -- one prescrbes to.