1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I depressed because i'm in the closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SilverLining120, Jun 20, 2017.

1. SilverLining120

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So basically, I've been feeling kind of weird lately. For the past few months, I haven't felt happy but i also haven't felt sad. I've been in that middle ground. I just thought it was because of the lead up to the exams. But my exams are over now and I still don't really feel anything. I started to think it was because I'm still in the closet and i can't be the real me. And i'm moving school, so the only 2 people i have came out to won't be with me anymore. Do I feel like this cause i can't express how i really feel or is it something else. Did anyone else feel like this before they came out? Should i just come out everyone at my new school so I won't have to deal with the transition period of people getting used to it? I need some advice

2. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't definitely say for your case, but I've realized being pretty closeted is big part of why I sometimes feel lonely or have a spell of blues.

Going on EC helps me when I feel lonely...or when I'm just bored :blush:

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Keeping a secret literally can drive people crazy. This is an underestimated fact of life. ("Crazy" with no stigma, of course. I have had mental illness(es).)

IMHO, the answer to your title question is "very well could be". Good luck moving school. With what you learned coming out a bit, you can do it more easily next time.

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    #4 beenthrdonetht, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted this on another thread yesterday

I came out shortly after I turned 25 after being closeted for 10 years. I was nowhere ready. Shortly after my 25th birthday and right before Christmas I had a severe mental and emotional breakdown. I ended up spending time in the mental health unit of my hospital for a few days because I was so unstable. I was very depressed and ridden with anxiety. I didnt want to come out to my family because they are older and very conservative. I feared rejection and abandonment. When I got out of the hospital I knew if I ever wanted to be happy they needed to know the truth. I told them just after New Years and they were surprisingly supportive and still loved me.

Depression may or may not be a part of you being closted, It was for me but I also had some other things I was dealing with at the time as well.

#5 kyfry, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017