1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here has an interesting music taste

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Justinian20

I'm asking this question because I want to know who here listens to music that most people probably don't know about, but at the same time they listen to popular stuff as well.

Like for me I like Lady Gaga but I also like artists like Leaether Strip(Claus Larsen project), and then in classic 80s stuff I tend to like Soft Cell, Bronski Beat and other popular synthpop artists but then I listen to stuff like The Future Kings of Nowhere and so my music taste is a conglomerate of popular music and lesser known music. I just wish I had some people to talk to about my music explorations and those people would be willing to listen to the artists that I talk about. Like I just really want a friend who I can share music with and talk about the music too.

So who here listens to lesser known musicians and popular musicians together.

2. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i listen to a really strange mix of music, i think my favorites are new wave, indie rock, and post-punk. some older artists i really dig are bowie, the smiths/morrissey, the cure, joy division, violent femmes, talking heads, pulp, sonic youth, XTC, the clash, and pretenders. some of the more 'up to date' stuff consists of my chemical romance/gerard way, the front bottoms, kimya dawson, fox academy, front porch step, brand new, cyberbully mom club, blink-182, and other really randomly jumbled things. my music taste is all over the spectrum

#2 peachygogh, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, most of the songs I like are quite popular in their given cultures, but I like to listen to songs that are in different languages. I often just randomly listen to whatever when I'm surfing the internet. A new favorite is Misfits by Shinedown. A classmate of mine signed (American Sign Language) to this song.

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt my music taste is interesting to most people. Everyone has their own unique music taste and I don't listen to much of the popular stuff

The vast majority of music I listen to is Metal or Electronic. For example; Dismember, Sabaton, Deathspell Omega, Depeche Mode, Otto Dix, and Centhron

I like a few songs by Lady Gaga and some songs by Leaether Strip. Do you listen to any artists that sound similar to the latter or at least what he was doing on the Civil Disobedience album?

5. Clinker

Clinker Guest

Meh, i like whatever gets my imagination going. Though to give you an idea, opening up the music app on the ipad, the page shows these titles: Horsell common and the heat ray, ridin solo, CAN'T STOP THE FEELIN', i won't back down (Johnny Cash), i will always love you, baker street, Livin' la vidaloca, twerk it like miley Dawin remix, blue da ba dee, hello (from the dark side), the Wallace and Gromit theme tune and the Thunderbirds opening theme.
    Only a taster from the albums that appeared. There are more various genres and artists on the library, though.

6. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some of my favorite artists include The Beach Boys, Billy Joel, Elton John, John Mellencamp, Hall & Oates, Talking Heads, New Order, Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, Journey, Fitz and the Tantrums, Chvrches, Lindsey Stirling, Tegan and Sara, Bleachers, Black Keys, and that's just a few.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine is pretty eclectic, and difficult to categorize.

My current most-listened-to is Jacob Collier, an extraordinary Jazz/fusion performer.

Also high up there:
    Michael Hedges
    Joey Alexander
    Sweet Honey in the Rock
    Jon Hassell
    Andreas Vollenweider
    Snarky Puppy
    Troublefunk

It isn't easy to find commonalities between all of the above, but all have a level of complexity and structure to what they do that is beyond what you typically find in pop music.

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say my taste in music is all across the map. I listen to just about anything (with my two exceptions being pop and country) and that includes music both new and old. Just one quick flip through my playlist and I found music by Andrea Bocelli (recent favorite), Queen, Rise Against, Kraftwerk, Avenged Sevenfold, Electric Light Orchestra, Volbeat, and freaking Beethoven. And it doesn't even have to be in English. I'm quite fond of music in German and Italian, even if I'm only semi-experienced in understanding one of these languages.

Basically, if it sounds good, I listen to it, because fuck genre snobbery.

#8 ThatBorussenGuy, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  9. nightshift

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Rise Against is my all time favorite.

Then everything else from Disney soundtracks to heavy metal music. No limits, if I like it then I like it.

10. Lazuri

Like, my last listened to bands are Florence+The Machine, Meiko Kaji, Chopin, Ninja Sex Party and Rush. I think that answers your question rather well.

11. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No my music taste is boring. I listen to light rock (Elton John / Billy Joel / Pat Benitar), classical music (mostly purely instrumental), and some occasional more pop stuff (pink is the closest to this really), and sometimes very new music that is LGBT related (like Eli lieb, Steve Grand, Troye Sivan, etc..)
    That is really all.

12. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I could hardly name you any artists after the forties, but that doesn't mean that I don't listen to pop music. It's definitely on a band by band, artist by artist basis. But I do listen to the more eccentric music, provided it's from the early 20th century. Not only do I listen to a lot of the popular music from the time, from theatre to jazz, but I
    listen to music like dodecaphony from the time, composers like Berg and Schoenberg. It's very interesting music.
    Edit: How do you pronounce Leaether Strip? Lee-aether?

#12 KeanusGuitarus, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  13. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    me, right?

I'm into all possible kinds of industrial, but mostly I'm fond of aggrotech and powernoise.
    some people have never ever heard these names, let alone music.

oooh and Leaether Strip! great band, but I must admit I have no idea how to pronounce their name :cold_sweat:

14. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me?

I like listening to all sorts of music I'm not fussy

15. SilverLining120

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like music that no one knows about so when people ask what music i'm listening to, the conversation gets really awkward lol

16. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    niceee talking heads and new order are great

17. musicboy123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mostly listen to older artists when it comes to music, such as David Bowie, Elton John, The Beales, Paul McCartney, The Smiths/Morrissey, Boy George/Culture Club, Annie Lennox/Eurythmics, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Peter Gabriel Patti Smith, Pet Shop Boys, and the list goes on....

Saying that, I also thoroughly enjoy some newer (and possibly more obscure) artists such as Anohni (& The Johnsons), Rufus Wainwright, Ryan Adams, Jake Bugg, Declan McKenna, Troye Sivan, Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, and many more.

18. stingrays

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I listen to a mixture of older and newer music. I'm into a lot of pop punk, all those punk subgenres, as well as rock and some pop. Some stuff I like is Joy Division, Black Flag, Moose Blood, blink-182, Green Day, Nirvana, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, FIDLAR, The Front Bottoms, Cigarettes After Sex, The 1975, Sex Pistols, Minor Threat, Misfits, Brand New, AFI, NOFX, Palaye Royale, PUP, Turnover, Ramones, Weezer, and The Clash. I also occasionally find myself listening to The Beatles and Rolling Stones, that type of stuff. I'm also really enjoying Harry Styles' solo music, to be honest. But it really varies, like sometimes I'll find myself listening to Lady Gaga and then an hour later I'll be listening to some obscure hardcore band, haha.

#18 stingrays, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  19. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll usually go the easy route and say "rock" is what I listen to, but that's a bit of a lie.

I'll listen to newer rock, like The Black Keys or Nickelback or Kings of Leon, but I also enjoy CCR, ZZ Top, and that ilk.

I also love Johnny Cash and Stompin' Tom Connors, and that's about as country I get.

Then the entire album Illmatic by Nas I adore, plus some other songs by other rappers. Like Without Me by Eminem, Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio, or Blockbuster Nights Part 1 by Run the Jewels.

Plus there's new wave, old time rock and roll, modern pop, and a whole host of other stuff here and there that I like.

Hell, my favourite band is Driftless Pony Club, which I'm sure you've never heard before.

20. MattF1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now I'm really into Kendrick Lamar, but my favourite artists include Thy Art is Murder, Drake, SlipKnot, Post Malone, Royal Blood, Muse, deadmau5, EDX and a bunch of other artists from a bunch of different genres. I go from Deathcore to Rap to House.