1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your trans experience (decidedly-not-getting-surgery edition)?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Foxfeather, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a tiny, tiny trans guy who, for all -she- looks, is just a soft butch lesbian. I don't want to have surgery for a number of reasons, including the fact that I'm so short, I'll never pass, and I don't want some of the side effects of maleness, including balding and hairiness.

I want to know if any of you are also not planning on surgery. I know it helps with passing in society, but I feel that anything beyond top surgery, for me, isn't a solution to my problems and it isn't a reflection of who I really want to be, it's a reflection of what society expects a man to be. And even then, even if I put down $100,000 for all the bells and whistles, I still won't be man enough.

I guess I just wanted to let anyone out there who doesn't have the funds or "courage" to go through surgery that--it's okay and you're beautiful just the way you are. We've all got those days when someone stares at us and gives us that "What the **** are you?" look, and sometimes that person might even be ourselves. And that's okay, too.

I sometimes really hate the feeling of some parts of my body, and even though I don't think the dysphoria will go away, I'm trying really really really hard to wipe away the bodily shame and pain that comes from being trans. Because all that hatred I feel for my body turns into hatred of myself and I don't want to live my life that way anymore.

I don't like my breasts, my feminine habits, my period, my sexual organs, or my given role in society and the family, but I want to start owning those things and loving those things because they're a part of me. It's me. What's not to love about me? And for you as well. What's not to love about you? It's your body, your house for your soul and mind. Pre- or post-surgery, it's perfect just the way it is NOW, no matter how it changes or how you change it later on.

I feel dysphoria over having breasts and not being able to expose my chest in public the way men can so freely. But every now and again I'll just run my hand over my chest and just enjoy the warmth of my hand over my heart. My body works fine just the way it is now, and dysphoria doesn't change how it perceives pleasure or sensation. So I don't deny myself any of that. I know a lot of people don't like to be touched because of their dysphoria, and that is all right to feel that way, but I don't want to deny myself any joy or pleasure due to discomfort or shame.

For me, there's something greater than that discomfort, shame, and fear, and for me, that's Love and Trust. I've been hurt so much by strangers and their sideways stares at me, but I continue to put myself out there, to get out of the house, to don my rainbows, because I love this heterosexual majority for finally helping making marriage equality possible, and I trust that they are ultimately good.

Anyways, that was a bit of a thought ramble, and I just wanted to know your experience as someone who has actively decided not to undergo gender confirmation surgery. Here are a few questions to munch in your mind. Answer as many or as few as you'd like, or create your own Q and A.

1. Why did you decide to not get surgery?

2. Do you think you would be happier if you got surgery?

3. When do you think the surgery will ever be "enough"? To what extent would you have to go to feel complete?

4. Do you have someone in your life who accepts your identity as it is and loves you for who you are, regardless of whether you pass or have surgery?

5. Name one awesome feature about your pre-surgery body that you love. It doesn't have to be something gendered.

6. Now name one awesome part of your personality that won't change if you had surgery.

I'm not saying that surgery is good or bad. But for the trans folks like me who get misgendered all the time, I want to offer you gents and ladies a break from the binary. I rant all the time myself about gender dysphoria, and I need to know that there's some part of being trans that's not all sad and painful.

OrinocoFlow and Bobsleigh1 like this.
  2. tomboyprettyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    look who posted :heart:
    sorry you just won my heart after your awesome replies c:

1. I think I don't hate my genitals, and my vision on transitioning is kind of too much in black and white

2. Really don't know, maybe I would like bottom surgery sexually or regret it, maybe I would love having a cuter face after ffs, I know life as a girl could be more adaptable to me but that aspect is still kind of confusing since I don't relate that much to my mother, as my personality is androgynous I would struggle with conforming to the opposite sex as well, at least in some aspects

3. as far as my body is androgynous I think hair removal is the only thing I need

4. some of my closest friends and my sister

5. it's androgynous! that may come off a little bit stupid, but come on, being an androgynous guy sounds awesome

6. being empathetic, I hope

it's nice to break off the binary, that's the main thing I struggle with, really can't conform despite my past efforts

#2 tomboyprettyboy, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't think surgery is the answer for me because I am an idealist. I have an idealized version of the man I want to be in my head...and *drumroll*...he looks nothing like me.

No. I do not. I think it would only cause more dysphoria (see answer #1.)

3. When do you think the surgery will ever be "enough"? To what extent would you have to go to feel complete?

It would never be enough, because it would never bring out the real me...the me inside. It would only try to alter my outer appearance.

4. Do you have someone in your life who accepts your identity as it is and loves you for who you are, regardless of whether you pass or have surgery?

Hmmm...I have people who love me regardless of my identity, but don't condone surgeries, etc.

5. Name one awesome feature about your pre-surgery body that you love. It doesn't have to be something gendered.

I like my hands.

6. Now name one awesome part of your personality that won't change if you had surgery.

My obsessive fan syndrome. :slight_smile:

* Thank you for this thread. It is so refreshing to read about trying to love your body the way it is. That is exactly what I have been trying to do of late, and even if it isn't perfect, I have had more peace of mind than I've had in ages. Dysphoria will always be an issue, but at least I can try to not hate myself. Thanks Foxfeather. :heart:

Sebby

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even get why I'm supposed to want surgery? Or to be a guy? My gender is a bit wierd and that's what being trans means to me. My mind is that of a guy, despite me being a girl in other aspects. Is that wrong? Why am I even supposed to think about it? I'm concerned with passing a bit, because I find it annoying to be a guy about whom everyone thinks he's a girl. And inconvenient, unpleasant, difficult. If I get read as a tomboy, then that's fine with me. The social part of transitioning is the furthest I'll ever go, and that's what I need. Maybe I would prefer and find it easier to be born male, like, physically. But changing my body doesn't appeal to me. It's not like I would be changing much more than physical appearance and how I'm read by others. And I like my current physical appearance. And I think there are other ways to get a point through than taking medicines or getting surgeries. So I think this paragraph covers point 1. The answer to point two is a simple "no". Different bits are not crucial to my comfort. And what I have doesn't cause me distress per say. Three: I am me and I am enough. As simple as that. Pretty much everyone I'm close with knows about my gender and I'm really lucky to have supportive and understanding family and friends. However much we argue and get mad at each other, and however much drama we go throuh sometimes. Five - ok, so.... I think I'm just good looking :wink: I'm fit, slim and in shape. I like that. My hair is nice too. Six - I consider myself smart :wink:

Sebby45 likes this.
  5. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

This is such a sweet idea for a thread. Oh, Fox, you always have such great things to say.

I'm not actually fully decided on what i'm doing for surgery but i'm currently leaning more towards not having surgery. And definitely not all of it.
    One of my reasons would practically the same reason as Sebby's. It also just seems like so much trouble, and i'd hate to regret it.

I think i might like hormones, but i don't know... i don't think i'd be satisfied with bottom surgery, despite how much i want male genitalia, it might just make me feel worse since now it's just that what's there isn't what i want, but for it not to be exactly what i want AND not be fully functioning might hurt more. Top surgery doesn't seem entirely necessary for me since my chest is already pretty flat so it doesn't cause me much trouble, i think i'm fine with just wearing a binder when i need it, but who knows. The constant doubt is always there.

Ultimately, i'd need a fully functioning cis male body and mind to feel complete for real.

4. Do you have someone in your life who accepts your identity as it is and loves you for who you are, regardless of whether you pass or have
    surgery?

Yep. ( ^ . ^ )

I always liked my nose for some reason, heh.

Hmm... Probably my hobbies and skills. They aren't amazing, but i enjoy using them.

6. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

If we're talking GRS, partly because of the cost. Realistically the odds are pretty good I'll never have the money for it. FFS is another story. I'm open to it but nothing certain right now.

I honestly don't know. It's so far down the road for me... Right now I just want to get HRT.

Like I said, I want to get hormones. I want to have breasts and other more feminine features. I don't want to lose my hair as I get older. It's taken to long to grow it out as it is lol

My sister. She's the only one I'm out to.

My hair. It's taken so long to grow out, and for a long time I had to fight to be able to grow it out. Now it's finally long enough to really have fun with.

I love to help others. It's corny, I know, but it's true.

7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I'm not sharing experience, a while back someone told me a great way to ward off transphobes or anyone you don't want to know you're trans when presenting as male. You're a guy with testosterone deficiency and (if you're not binding) the word for cis men with extra breast tissue. (Gynecomastia or something).
    People generally accept it!

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Oh, I am definitely getting top surgery, if and when I can afford to. But I definitely don't want bottom surgery. I figure, I don't get dysphoria about that part of me, so why bother? It's invasive, and painful, and in my case needless - it isn't about the dick.

To an extent, yes.

When I get my breasts off, it will be enough. To not have to worry about getting dressed to hide my chest...I can't wait for that. I can't imagine needing any other surgeries to feel complete.

Yes

My shoulders are great. I have fairly broad shoulders.

I'm always kind to animals.

9. SebAndGin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting discussion, thanks for that!
    OK, answers time.

I definitely want top surgery, simply because I hate my chest. I don´t bind, my back is too fucked up for this. So i crouch and wear clothes too big (which I hate because I like to be sharp dressed man but I hate ppl staring at my chest more, so...). But I don´t think I want bottom surgery. I am not sure about the result. But never say never, and yeah, I really feel I am missing something down there, so...

Definitely. My back would definitely feel better and my self esteem would sky rocket.

Top surgery, HRT... hell I am even OK with losing my hair. Bald men can be hot as hell, can´t they? And I am saying that as someone who is literally obsessed with his hair! And as for body hair - hell yeah, gimme all of them, I´d love to become a bear! There is a huge bear living inside this pocket creature! Hehe.

I have ppl who accept me, but I am not sure if they love me.

Hands. I have cool hands. And shoulders. Neck is OK too I guess. And I think my back looks good, though it´s painful and not completely working.

My wit. And wicked sense of humor.

10. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for posting.

For me I have always wanted to accept my body as it is instead of changing it to be what society expects. Ideally I would want to be able to be like the card in the game munchkin that changes your gender, but that is only fantasy. Being bigender for me means that my brain will often not agree with what my body actually is. But changing it I don't think would make me happier.

I currently have few friends I am out to that accept me regardless. At most I think I would be happiest packing for bottom dysphoria occasionally. I like my body for what it is, and I like who I am as a person.

For those of you who are afab or amab, I like to tell myself often when my brain says my body doesn't match my gender being male or female bodied doesn't make you less of a man or woman or any other gender identity. Just be you and love yourself for who you are.

11. OrinocoFlow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great thread topic :slight_smile:

I will most likely not get surgery for a variety of reasons. One of the first things that would get in the way would be due to my health problems. I have always had issues with my testosterone levels which caused severe pcos... And I've been relying on hormonal treatment to reduce/block testosterone for most of my life. Getting surgery and T would most likely make things more complicated than good.

I'm also considered quite "womanly" with my figure (large natural hips and breasts). Even if I did get basic surgery, I would never pass. Lastly, I generally prefer to focus on loving my body for what it is. While I would prefer to be masculine, I am also comfortable with being feminine and am aware that my body is attractive (even though I have terrible self esteem).

If I didn't have the previously mentioned health issues, I would most likely feel okay with bottom surgery since that's where I struggle with dysphoria the most.

Currently the most comfortable way to express myself is through clothing. Cross dressing definitely helps me feel more complete with myself.

I have a couple friends that know and were super loving and accepting of this. :heart:

Ignoring my female parts, I can appreciate my bodily figure.

My passion for zoology.