1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question to Bisexuals and Pansexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by idontknow12, Jun 18, 2017.

1. idontknow12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bisexuals: Why do you identify as bisexual instead of pansexual? Do you also identify as pansexual?
    Pansexuals: Do you also identify as bisexual?
    Both: How do you define bisexuality and pansexuality?

I'm curious, I feel like everyone has their own answer. I'm a bisexual and I don't label myself as pansexual simply because I don't know if I am. Sure, I might see a picture of a non-binary and think they're attractive, but I haven't met many non-binaries and I haven't had a crush on any of them, but that could easily be because I haven't met that many. I feel like there's too little non-binaries for me to start seriously questioning if I'm pansexual and change my label, plus I think bisexuals can also like non-binaries.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as bisexual. I am attracted to men and women. I am open to dating binary cisgender and transgender.

I'd say pansexuality includes non-binary transgender. Although I am aware some bisexuals do as well, I'm not sure what need for 'pansexual' as a label is if bisexuality can be inclusive of non-binary.

3. idontknow12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that you can be both, like if you don't want to say you're pansexual because bisexual is more well known and accepted, but also want to say you're pansexual in a place where people are accepting of pansexuality. But then some people don't like using the label bisexual because it's non-binary exclusive. I dunno

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I prefer bisexual for several reasons. First, its more "historical" and encompasses many different "sub orientations". Sort of like a catch all that doesn't need to be limited to just cis men and women. Second, it has sort of a bad reputation, and lots of people shy away from it... that's why I'm trying to lead by example, so more can come out. Finally, it aligns with my own definition, basically that I'm attracted to those with my parts, and those without (originally went something like "penis and vagina", or "xy and xx", but that's quite binarist, and reality is more complicated).

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as bi rather than pan because I know I am attracted to binary men and women, but haven't really been attracted to any other gender (that I was aware of). Nor do I feel connected to the sentiment that I'm just "attracted to the person" or the personality. I like guys for guys and girls for girls.
    I'm open to any other attractions, and I see "bisexual" as being an orientation open to that as well. The "two" being same and different genders one is interested in. :slight_smile:

I think in the end it's just a matter of word preference.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider myself bi more than pan.
    I define Bi as more of an umbrella term that includes liking people of at least two genders. It may be inclusive of non-binary or trans people but that isn't exclusively in the term.
    Pansexuality is to be attracted to the person where gender is not a factor in attraction.

For me, I would say gender is a factor in my attraction. I have a preference for women rather than coincidentally being attracted to more women than men, and that rules out gender not being a huge factor in who I am attracted to. I also have a certain "type" I like in men and women, and they're quite different. As of yet, I have been attracted to cis men, cis women, and trans men (And I probably would be attracted to a trans woman if I met one) I feel like I would still identify as bi if I was into a non-binary person though.

I don't know, it's a bit complicated, my sexuality. So for simplicity I just say I'm bi because I like girls and I like guys!

7. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I identify as pansexual because I don't pay much attention to gender. I believe that bisexual people can also be attracted to non-binary people, but when they explain what they like about someone, gender is usually mentioned. I just don't care what someones gender is. If you're a good person and you have a good personality, I will like you because of your personality and not your gender. I haven't met a non-binary person before, but I still identify with pansexuality.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To me, bisexual means you like male or female cisgendered individuals. This makes sense as bi means two. Pansexual to me includes being attracted to someone who's transgender. Essentially to me Pansexuals date people regardless of their gender identity. They care more about them as an individual. I'll be the first to admit that i'm a bit transphobic and don't think I can see myself dating someone who's trans. For that reason I identify as bisexual.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, and another reason: someone elsewhere said they identified as bisexual, since they related to men and women differently. Well, I do, too, but include non-binary folk. Sure, you can say "every individual is different", but we can make generalizations about men, women, and non-binary, and what's considered attractive to those attracted to them.

10. caustic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as bisexual as opposed to pansexual because I'm attracted to men and women (trans* included), but not non-binary people, and
    I define it as the attraction to the two aforementioned genders because 'bi' means two. Pansexuality is, to me, the attraction to all possible genders, hence the prefix 'pan', meaning 'all'.
    I actually wrote a more in-depth version of this as an answer to a thread on another site that was very similar to this one, but I won't post it here because I'm sure it's an unpopular (and possibly controversial) opinion, and I don't want to go accidentally offending anyone.

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These answers are very close to how I'd describe the difference between bisexual and pansexual. I could not have said this better myself. I use the term bisexual because, like one of the above posters, I am also attracted to binary men and women, and haven't been aware of any attraction to other genders as of yet.

I can relate to this as well. As a heteroromantic bisexual, I have a stronger preference for women.

One of the biggest issues is the matter of children, since I want biological kids. A trans-woman could not provide that for me due to a lack of a uterus. And it's something that I could not consider with a trans-man, because (due to the nature of my attraction to men) I wouldn't be romantically interested in him, thus I wouldn't want children with him because I'd only be interested in him sexually, and would not be able to raise the children together as a couple.

#11 BothWaysSecret, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  12. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG YES BURR!! :sob::heart:

13. caustic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same way

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as bisexual. After I started dating my now-fiancee, I felt like I needed something to label my sexuality. I was attracted to men and women so that's the one I fell on. My fiancee identifies as pansexual and she explains it as she falls in love with people as individuals. Even though I wouldn't say no to dating a non-binary person if I fell in love with them, I'm not attracted to other genders in general so pansexuality doesn't really resonate with me.

15. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I identify as bisexual because it's terminology that I don't have to explain to people that aren't in the LGBTQA......+ scene.

So...simple old lazyness, really.

16. Landon

I am pansexual and panromantic. I'm attracted to anyone that I think is hot, no matter race, religion, sexuality, gender, gender identity,etc. I'm open with dating almost anyone who has a great personality and is aesthetically pleasing.
    You don't have to be attracted to non binary people to be pansexual. You can be attracted to transgenders, transsexuals, intersexual, and pretty much any other gender identity. As well as being attracted or having the want to date someone no matter their sexual orientation (ex: a gay male, a lesbian female, asexual human being, a romantic human being, and so many more.)

I personally never felt comfortable with identifying as bisexual. Mostly because I know I am openly attracted to more than two genders, to be specific, I am attracted to all genders. But it is 100% possible to be a bisexual and pansexual person at the same time. Sexuality isn't simple and it's a big road of discovery, so do pretty much whatever you want!

17. Embi

Embi Guest

I identify as bisexual (also queer) or several reasons: it has history, more people understand what it means, it was the first label I felt comfortable with, I still feel comfortable with it. I define bisexual as the attraction to my own and other genders. I could use the label pansexual because it would fit me too but as I mentioned above, I have my reasons for preferring bisexual. I think many people consider bisexual exclusive because the term was first used when people weren't aware that other genders existed. While it can mean "attraction to men and women" to some people, to me and many others it doesn't.

18. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bisexual - Attracted to 2 or more genders with possible preferences

Pansexual - Attracted without consideration for gender

It can't really be any clearer...

19. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am bisexual and I don't think it's exactly the same thing as pansexual. To be honest, the main reason for me to use the bisexual label is the fact that gender does matter to me. I'm not as genderblind as most pansexual-identified people and I preffer it to be that way. The other reasons are the fact that bi-erasure exists and I believe that I can help break it by calling myself bi. By the way, I never met any openly non-binary person, so I can't tell if non-females/non-males can turn me on. I'm open to relationships with intersex, binary and non-binary transgender people too though.

20. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as bi, and I see the difference between bi and pan as:

Bi -> including, but not limited to, possible attraction to men and women.
    Pan-> possible attraction to any and all genders.

I happen to identify more with pansexuality, I'm open to being with people of any gender, including trans people. I use bi because it's easier. When I used to identify as pan I'd have to explain what it meant to almost everyone when I outed myself to someone. I don't really have to do that with bisexuality.